Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The links between Irish Nationalism and Zionsim.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

Tom Barry was asked to train Irgun fighters who were fighting the British and he refused on the grounds that the Irgun were not fighing a legitimate war.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭brennan1979

Tom Barry was asked to train Irgun fighters who were fighting the British and he refused on the grounds that the Irgun were not fighing a legitimate war.

It's an interesting topic. If you listen to Beatty's interview you can hear how Republicans attitudes to Zionism have evolved over the years. One of the major interests was partition of Palestine and how they tried to understand it through an Irish context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Anything on the nutjobs who went digging up the Hill Of Tara looking for the Ark Of The Covenant?
    And it wasn't Indy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,985 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Interesting article here about the ex Black and Tans in Palestine, including mention of a "colourful":( character (Douglas V Duff) allegedly responsible for "duffed up" finding its way into the English language.

http://www.jerusalemquarterly.org/ViewArticle.aspx?id=305

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Really interesting article on link found on OP. Will listen to Podcast when I get a chance.

Interesting that a leading member of the Irgun should quote George Bernard Shaw at his British judges when he was being sent down in the 1940s.

Apparently the following is (or was, my source is more than 20 years old) printed on a plaque on a wall at the famous Palestinian University Bir Zeit in Ramallah.

"If you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again. It will listen to no reformer, to no philosopher, to no preacher, until the demand of the nationalist is granted. It will attend to no business, however vital, except the business of unification and liberation."

George Bernard Shaw. John Bull's Other Island

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

I think it was Yitzhak Shamir who used the nom de guerre "Michael Collins" as an hommage.

Really interesting article on link found on OP. Will listen to Podcast when I get a chance.

Interesting that a leading member of the Irgun should quote George Bernard Shaw at his British judges when he was being sent down in the 1940s.

Apparently the following is (or was, my source is more than 20 years old) printed on a plaque on a wall at the famous Palestinian University Bir Zeit in Ramallah.

"If you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again. It will listen to no reformer, to no philosopher, to no preacher, until the demand of the nationalist is granted. It will attend to no business, however vital, except the business of unification and liberation."

George Bernard Shaw. John Bull's Other Island

http://www.theirishstory.com/2013/01/23/a-long-and-oddly-intertwined-history-irish-nationalism-and-zionism/#.UUCRcVdSSSo

Here is the link to Aidan Beatty's article in the Irish Story website.

Anything on the nutjobs who went digging up the Hill Of Tara looking for the Ark Of The Covenant?
    And it wasn't Indy.

That's one I haven't heard before :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

That's one I haven't heard before :)

During the turn of the 20th century the Hill of Tara was excavated by British Israelists who thought that the Irish were part of the Lost Tribes of Israel and that the hill contained the Ark of the Covenant.

You couldn't make it up.

During the turn of the 20th century the Hill of Tara was excavated by British Israelists who thought that the Irish were part of the Lost Tribes of Israel and that the hill contained the Ark of the Covenant.

You couldn't make it up.

That's bizarre. Although I had heard some of the lunatic fringe of loyalism consider Ulster Protestants a lost tribe of Israel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement