Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MSc. GIS & Remote Sensing

• 12-03-2013 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Completed my undergrad (BSc. Geomatics) with a measly 2:2 back in 2011. Been working in Australia on a 6 figure salary directly related to my course for the past ~18 months. Do enjoy my job a small bit (Mine Surveying) regardless of the money but don't believe it to be my goal in my career.

I had both GIS and Remote Sensing modules whilst in Bolton St. Enjoyed the RS modules but wasnt a particular fan of GIS back then. However appreciate what it has to offer now.

Just wondering any past/present participants in the course have any insight on the MSc.? I've done my research and believe it to be exactly what I'd like my career path to entail but ofcourse would appreciate any influential comments from people who witness(ed) the course first hand.

Is it difficult for someone with a lower bracket degree? I've been out of education for almost 2 years, will be up to almost 4 years by the time I'd be doing the course, either January 2014 or 2015. Anyone generally have thoughts on how difficult it would be to get back into education, particularly a masters, after leaving a high paying job that in truth isn't a bad career either?

Also couldn't find it but is it possible to apply for the Masters on PAC, get accepted and then defer by a year if I decide another year in Australia would be a wise decision?

Thanks for any replies, good or bad!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I don't know anything about your subject area. But if it were me, in a good job, particularly in this day and age, I'd stay where the money is for as long as possible. Unless you can get them to fund it or part fund it? Or can you do something similar in a university there, as a part time night course while continuing to work? That might be ideal.

The world is much more screwy and uncertain these days... I'd be inclined to save all the cash you can, while you can. But that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

mickstupp wrote: »
    I don't know anything about your subject area. But if it were me, in a good job, particularly in this day and age, I'd stay where the money is for as long as possible. Unless you can get them to fund it or part fund it? Or can you do something similar in a university there, as a part time night course while continuing to work? That might be ideal.

The world is much more screwy and uncertain these days... I'd be inclined to save all the cash you can, while you can. But that's just my opinion.

Yeh I did expect a response like this. I understand where you're coming from. I have saved a substantial amount since commencing employment and it wouldn't be until January 2015 most likely that I'll be starting this course. The potential earnings post this Masters wouldn't be close to what I'm presently on.

However, I work Fly in Fly out in Australia. Not sure if you know about it but its a single man's life and a pretty rubbish lifestyle on top of it. I certainly do earn my money. I've got a new relationship since December and whether I decide to do this course or not I plan on exiting FIFO and moving into a city role ASAP. So either way I expect my earnings to drop somewhat.

I do understand that with how the economy is in Ireland it wouldn't be the wisest of ideas to leave a high paying job, but my ultimate goal is to secure a successful career in Ireland. Mining isn't plentiful in Ireland so in the long run my skills learnt if I remained in my current role would be almost useless to me in Ireland leaving me having to start at the bottom again. However, I'd have money saved.

My other worry is the longer I leave it to start the Masters the more difficult it will be for me.

If you still consider that I should stay where the money is for as long as possible after the above post then I'd definitely be taking your opinion into account.

Edit: Sorry forgot to mention this subject has almost nothing to do with my current role so there's no chance they'd part fund it and doing FIFO leaves me with zero time to study in evening time. So it's either quit and do the masters or continue working. No room for both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

irishmover wrote: »
    Edit: Sorry forgot to mention this subject has almost nothing to do with my current role so there's no chance they'd part fund it and doing FIFO leaves me with zero time to study in evening time. So it's either quit and do the masters or continue working. No room for both.
    Ah, that's a pity. So much for that idea! I brought it up because a guy I went to school with yonks ago had his Phd funded by a British company on the condition that he work for them for 10 years after the fact. Not sure if such arrangements are common anymore though.
    My other worry is the longer I leave it to start the Masters the more difficult it will be for me.
    I don't really think that should be a consideration. But then I'm coming at this from the point of view of a mature student. I was out of education for 13 years before coming back. What I found was that my various life experiences and jobs and resulting work ethic really helped enormously in my approach to college. The difference in my performance between my first stint in college and my second are like night and day. I've done very well applying the lessons I learned in different working environments. You'll be bringing a work ethic, determination and confidence with you, from your working experiences, whether or not it's in a year or five years. You're out there proving you can put what you've learned to good use and will be coming back showing yourself willing to do better and improve your education for practical purposes. You'll want to do your best, rather than just get a piece of paper, and as a result you'll do far better than you expect. I don't think a longer gap should worry you at all.

But like I said, it's not my area, maybe someone in that area would be better able to say if the gap would do you harm. Mine did me the world of good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

People do taught Master's at any age and stage of their career - so I wouldn't worry about doing it too soon or too late, though obviously you need to take account of the fact that if you stay in your current career too long you may be taking a pay cut to go into the field in which the masters is for. But you're talking about moving back to Ireland anyway, so a pay cut is on the cards because there are very few earning 100,000AUD or 79,000 euro these days.

I am just finishing a part-time masters in Bolton street, I graduated with a pass grade honours degree so don't let that worry you either, with a few years of work experience you should be accepted without question. You will probably find the masters slightly easier, as for example, I only had three subjects a semester as opposed to the 6 and more when doing the degree so studying is less pressurised even if the topics you are dealing with more advanced concepts.

You know yourself better than anyone else so you will just have to judge if now is the right time for you to do the masters but I wouldn't worry about whether or not you will be accepted, colleges and courses are hard pressed for cash at the minute to sustain teaching hours, I know my own course that I'm finishing has cut lab hours and tutorials down, so the course co-ordinator will probably bite your hand off to get you in the door and take your money.

mickstupp wrote: »
    Ah, that's a pity. So much for that idea! I brought it up because a guy I went to school with yonks ago had his Phd funded by a British company on the condition that he work for them for 10 years after the fact. Not sure if such arrangements are common anymore though.

I don't really think that should be a consideration. But then I'm coming at this from the point of view of a mature student. I was out of education for 13 years before coming back. What I found was that my various life experiences and jobs and resulting work ethic really helped enormously in my approach to college. The difference in my performance between my first stint in college and my second are like night and day. I've done very well applying the lessons I learned in different working environments. You'll be bringing a work ethic, determination and confidence with you, from your working experiences, whether or not it's in a year or five years. You're out there proving you can put what you've learned to good use and will be coming back showing yourself willing to do better and improve your education for practical purposes. You'll want to do your best, rather than just get a piece of paper, and as a result you'll do far better than you expect. I don't think a longer gap should worry you at all.

But like I said, it's not my area, maybe someone in that area would be better able to say if the gap would do you harm. Mine did me the world of good.

Appreciate that. Not having anything to do with the subject area shouldn't make a difference on your opinion about the length of time away from education and how difficult it would be to go back to Education. Youve got your life experience to make your point valid!

I guess I did do my undergrad without a notion of why I was doing it and where it was going to take me but since my course I've developed a better understanding of it all and that'll only improve I'm sure the more I'm working, but as time goes by I ponder whether I'd be able to develop a career closer to home with my current and future skill set.

In terms of going back to education and how late is too late for an MSc. I think you've put my mind at ease.

Do you know if a position in a masters can be deferred for a year at Maynooth?

• Advertisement

Tails142 wrote: »
    People do taught Master's at any age and stage of their career - so I wouldn't worry about doing it too soon or too late, though obviously you need to take account of the fact that if you stay in your current career too long you may be taking a pay cut to go into the field in which the masters is for. But you're talking about moving back to Ireland anyway, so a pay cut is on the cards because there are very few earning 100,000AUD or 79,000 euro these days.

I am just finishing a part-time masters in Bolton street, I graduated with a pass grade honours degree so don't let that worry you either, with a few years of work experience you should be accepted without question. You will probably find the masters slightly easier, as for example, I only had three subjects a semester as opposed to the 6 and more when doing the degree so studying is less pressurised even if the topics you are dealing with more advanced concepts.

You know yourself better than anyone else so you will just have to judge if now is the right time for you to do the masters but I wouldn't worry about whether or not you will be accepted, colleges and courses are hard pressed for cash at the minute to sustain teaching hours, I know my own course that I'm finishing has cut lab hours and tutorials down, so the course co-ordinator will probably bite your hand off to get you in the door and take your money.

Yep this was another thing that worried me. Whether I was doomed from the word go as I only got a 2:2 grade. This is the minimum requirement on the course though. guess once you know what you want and want to put the effort in it won't matter.

Aye it's guaranteed I'd be earning over less than what I'm currently on in Ireland. Infact I'd be on 4 times less if I came home right at this minute and secured a engineering surveying job which I wouldn't because there is no jobs. Long term goal is a job in Ireland or the UK with a reasonable salary to sustain a good lifestyle. To an outsider the money in Australia sounds great but I've virtually spent that time on my own. Not fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Hi!
    I'm currently doing the MSc in Climate Change, we see the GIS people a lot!
    I'm not sure what the content is like, but if I've messaged someone doing it. I'll get back to you when they get back to me!

Hey, so my friend got back to me a lot faster than I was anticipating!

The course is split in two between GIS & Remote Sensing. There's four compulsory modules, 2 each for GIS/RS & one optional module, but there isn't a great choice. It's between another RS module or some computation modules but everybody in our class took the RS one.
    Its very much practical based especially the GIS (Ronan Foley teaches this & he's brilliant at showing all the techniques that are used in the industry). Its quite focused on the actual industry & getting employment which is a big plus! The work placement is probably the best part of the course because of the connections & experience you get. It's only suppose to be 6 weeks long but alot of companies want people for a lot longer which is a good sign! I don't think the Masters in Cork does a placement which would be a big reason I would say to try & get this course if interested. Plus as the Masters I has been running for so long so many people have graduated from it & a lot seem to be in high positions now like running their own course so they know the standard of the course which is a help getting a job.
    The assessment is mainly based on projects and there's only 2 exams & there both in the first semester.
    Hope that's a help. I've no problem answering any specific q's if he wants more info in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭01mirelly

kellief wrote: »
    Hey, so my friend got back to me a lot faster than I was anticipating!

The course is split in two between GIS & Remote Sensing. There's four compulsory modules, 2 each for GIS/RS & one optional module, but there isn't a great choice. It's between another RS module or some computation modules but everybody in our class took the RS one.
    Its very much practical based especially the GIS (Ronan Foley teaches this & he's brilliant at showing all the techniques that are used in the industry). Its quite focused on the actual industry & getting employment which is a big plus! The work placement is probably the best part of the course because of the connections & experience you get. It's only suppose to be 6 weeks long but alot of companies want people for a lot longer which is a good sign! I don't think the Masters in Cork does a placement which would be a big reason I would say to try & get this course if interested. Plus as the Masters I has been running for so long so many people have graduated from it & a lot seem to be in high positions now like running their own course so they know the standard of the course which is a help getting a job.
    The assessment is mainly based on projects and there's only 2 exams & there both in the first semester.
    Hope that's a help. I've no problem answering any specific q's if he wants more info in the future.

Can anyone confirm the cost of the GIS masters in Maynooth ?

Is it very maths driven? I am a geography graduate with an MA but feel my jobs market at moment my choices are slim. I want to get more into the scientific physical and map based geography hence my interest in GIS. It was not an option during studies until after I graduated.

Have been looking at the UCC one as its part time but like it was said above NUIM ha a placement based module.... More emphasis on employment etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Peppapig

Hey I think for EU citizens it is 2,750 or somewhere along those lines!

Also does anybody know how hard it will be to get into the course? Apparently there are only 16 places? I just barely got a 2.1, with a double honours in Geo and Economics and I took a year out!

• Advertisement

01mirelly wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm the cost of the GIS masters in Maynooth ?

Is it very maths driven? I am a geography graduate with an MA but feel my jobs market at moment my choices are slim. I want to get more into the scientific physical and map based geography hence my interest in GIS. It was not an option during studies until after I graduated.

Have been looking at the UCC one as its part time but like it was said above NUIM ha a placement based module.... More emphasis on employment etc.

As far as I know, it's 5,000, same as the other masters there. I'm not 100% sure on that. Those doing the course really do enjoy it!
    Peppapig wrote: »
    Hey I think for EU citizens it is 2,750 or somewhere along those lines!

Also does anybody know how hard it will be to get into the course? Apparently there are only 16 places? I just barely got a 2.1, with a double honours in Geo and Economics and I took a year out!

I'm not sure on the rate of acceptance, but if you have good grades, I don't see why you wouldn't be in with a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Schedule of fees.

In case you're too lazy to click, it's 9,177.

Also, totally OT, but my course is listed as an LLM MA in the fees schedule. Why in the hell is that?

Hey sorry was in London all weekend and didn't get a chance to reply.

The NDP subsidizes the cost so it's €2700 for EU applicants still as of 2013. Confirmed to me by the head of the programme last week. He also said that my Geomatics degree is the only degree in ireland directly related to the modules in the course so I'd stand a good chance when with a 2:2 of getting into it. However 2:1 in other course's is good enough.. It all goes down to the interview and you being right for the program.

Thanks very much for the reply Kellief it's really put my mind to ease aswell as the email from the Head of the program. I'm fairly certain I'll be applying for the course in 2014 after spending a bit more time saving in Australia. My girlfriend will be out for a year from May so will probably come back home with her.

Thanks again. I'll PM you at a later date if I'd like help with some more info on it..

irishmover wrote: »
    Hey sorry was in London all weekend and didn't get a chance to reply.

The NDP subsidizes the cost so it's €2700 for EU applicants still as of 2013. Confirmed to me by the head of the programme last week. He also said that my Geomatics degree is the only degree in ireland directly related to the modules in the course so I'd stand a good chance when with a 2:2 of getting into it. However 2:1 in other course's is good enough.. It all goes down to the interview and you being right for the program.

Thanks very much for the reply Kellief it's really put my mind to ease aswell as the email from the Head of the program. I'm fairly certain I'll be applying for the course in 2014 after spending a bit more time saving in Australia. My girlfriend will be out for a year from May so will probably come back home with her.

Thanks again. I'll PM you at a later date if I'd like help with some more info on it..

Happy to help at all.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Clarelessly

Perhaps this could be something to consider. Not sure if you meet the criteria, buts its free for EU citizens, is done through distance learning, and from what I know Lund Uni is a very respectable school. Worth a shot, I'd say.... http://luma.gis.lu.se/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Did anyone from this thread actually apply for this Masters? And if so, have yiz heard anything?

Cheers!

I'm enjoying my new job here in Australia currently so won't be applying for this course until 2014 at the earliest.

Closing date was 30th June. So only a few days ago. You'll hear back sometime this month. I'd be interested if you could give an update (if you applied) on how the process is going when you get word back!

Cool man. I'll post here when I do hear back. Can't wait to find out tho, seems ages since I applied in April!!

Well. I got rejected for this Masters anyway. Gutted!

Well. I got rejected for this Masters anyway. Gutted!

That sucks! Hopefully you will find something you like

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that...

Did you get a reason why?..

Cheers kellief! I think I might apply to the Geocomputation Masters in Maynooth now anyway. I'll think about it!

And yeah, they said that there was 50 or so that applied that met the criteria, but only 16 places, so they went to the highest caliber of applicants, or something along those lines.

Cheers kellief! I think I might apply to the Geocomputation Masters in Maynooth now anyway. I'll think about it!

And yeah, they said that there was 50 or so that applied that met the criteria, but only 16 places, so they went to the highest caliber of applicants, or something along those lines.

Interesting. 50 who met the criteria is a reasonable amount. It's a shame there's only 16 places.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 LondonFields

I would love to know if anyone has applied for or taken this course, Lund University Master’s program in GIS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭degzs

Hey guys been looking into Lund University Master’s program in GIS and I see the deadline has pasted but how do you go about getting in etc.

Has anyone applied for or taken this course would love some feedback?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 lstevo

Job Titles and Description

Hey Guys

Exactly what kinds of Jobs would a graduate expect to find out of this course?
    Would it involve sitting down at a computer all day? Might one get a road design job from this, town planning? Is there much money to be made at any of these jobs, etc.? I really wouldn't want to start this course without knowing exactly where I can go with this M.Sc. Does anyone know where the best place or people to ask would be apart from the lectures or course Coordinator? I would like to visit them too at some stage.

Thanks

Advertisement