Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 5 Power Button & Apple Service

Options
  • 11-03-2013 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭

Over past couple of weeks I had a problem with the power button on my iPhone 5 becoming less and less responsive. Finally about 10 days ago it was a case of most times leaving the phone to time out and close itself so I thought I had better get in touch with Apple as the phone was still in warranty.:(

I have had the 3, 4 and now the 5 and never had to contact the powers that be before and I must say I was impressed. Scheduled a service call for 10.30am next morning using their online service page. On the stroke of 10.30am I got the call and once they had established that it was a hardware problem I arranged to have it sent back for repair or replacement. UPS pick and tracking all went great and I have just checked and a new phone has just been scanned in by UPS in Dublin and should be here tomorrow. Very impressed.

Just wonderig did/does anyone else have a similar problem with their 5 ? If so... schedule a call.
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Yes, Apple's customer service is excellent. Had a similar problem to you last year with an Iphone 4S and had it sorted 2 days later. Suppose the fact that you paid so much for your phone means that they have to look after their customers.

Over the years I'va had the misfortune to deal with a few mobile phone companies and the only one that came anywhere near Apple was Nokia with their repair centres, alas they don't seem to as common any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Just to update and say thanks to the OP.

Had the exact same issue with my iPhone 5 and I found the link and scheduled a call, got an update today to say a replacement is on it's way.

Fantastic service, fair play to Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ste-ven

I've had the same problem Apple said they will issue me a new phone but did anyone have to pay a deposit or did you get them to send a box that you ship your phone in over to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭blade1

You pay a deposit if they are sending you out a phone instead of your own one.
    You'll get it back when they receive your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

Had same issue. There are three options with support. Standard which is free express which costs €29 but you get a replacement sent out usually within 48 hours - hence why they require a deposit and an AppleCare plan for €69 same deal as express but basically extends your support and for a further 12 months.
    I just went with standard as I had a spare iPhone 5. Have used both others and are also great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Maestro84

I also have the same problem. If I went up to Belfast tomorrow would they replace it does anyone know?

blade1 wrote: »
    You pay a deposit if they are sending you out a phone instead of your own one.
    You'll get it back when they receive your phone.

Thanks for letting me know. It's a big deposit cause I'm on pre-pay. I'm imaging apple would be trust worthy enough to get the money off right? Is there a way if tracking my phone been sent to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

ste-ven wrote: »

Thanks for letting me know. It's a big deposit cause I'm on pre-pay. I'm imaging apple would be trust worthy enough to get the money off right? Is there a way if tracking my phone been sent to them?
    The deposit is the same if you are prepay or bill pay

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Takingiteasy

I've have the same problem with my iPhone. It's over a year old, I wonder if its still covered in the warranty? The button keeps getting stuck.

I've have the same problem with my iPhone. It's over a year old, I wonder if its still covered in the warranty? The button keeps getting stuck.
    Warranty is just a year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Maestro84 wrote: »
    I also have the same problem. If I went up to Belfast tomorrow would they replace it does anyone know?

Yes they will. Apple's customer's service is worldwide i.e. A computer bought in the US will be serviced / replaced by an Apple store in France etc.

I've had two phones swapped out in Belfast.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

irish1967 wrote: »
    Over past couple of weeks I had a problem with the power button on my iPhone 5 becoming less and less responsive. Finally about 10 days ago it was a case of most times leaving the phone to time out and close itself so I thought I had better get in touch with Apple as the phone was still in warranty.:(

I have had the 3, 4 and now the 5 and never had to contact the powers that be before and I must say I was impressed. Scheduled a service call for 10.30am next morning using their online service page. On the stroke of 10.30am I got the call and once they had established that it was a hardware problem I arranged to have it sent back for repair or replacement. UPS pick and tracking all went great and I have just checked and a new phone has just been scanned in by UPS in Dublin and should be here tomorrow. Very impressed.

Just wonderig did/does anyone else have a similar problem with their 5 ? If so... schedule a call.
    :)

Yes, my cousin got his replaced 2 weeks ago due to faulty on/off button and constant call dropping.

When he was on the phone to apple they sent him an ISO fe that he had to click and they could tell if it was a handset problem.

Never heard of this until then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Warranty is 2 years on all electronic products sold within the EU Apple have a habit of not advising there customers of this and pushing the Apple care service on its customers. I am having the same problem with the power button only started yesterday back to Apple it will go seems to be common problem.

Warranty is 2 years on all electronic products sold within the EU Apple have a habit of not advising there customers of this and pushing the Apple care service on its customers. I am having the same problem with the power button only started yesterday back to Apple it will go seems to be common problem.
    Unless the phone was bought direct from apple it's nothing to do with them outside the 1 year warranty they provide. You have to chase it up wherever you purchased it

I'm waiting on a call from them at the minute, and I think I'll just pay the deposit and have a new phone tomorrow. Hopefully it doesn't take to long to get the deposit back.

Would people recommend sending them my faulty phone instead of paying the deposit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I'm waiting on a call from them at the minute, and I think I'll just pay the deposit and have a new phone tomorrow. Hopefully it doesn't take to long to get the deposit back.

Would people recommend sending them my faulty phone instead of paying the deposit?

The deposit you give them covers them until they receive your faulty phone.

So you get it back fairly quick?

Regardless if you pay the deposit or not you have to send your phone back to apple to get a replacement

So you get it back fairly quick?

Don't worry about the deposit, you'll have it back same day they receive the faulty phone. Well I did anyway.
    There is no bullsh*t with Apple regarding this.
    They are very efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Takingiteasy

Thanks, its good to know that there are companies with good customer support. I'll contact apple later regarding the phone and will ley ye know how I got on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

guil wrote: »
    Unless the phone was bought direct from apple it's nothing to do with them outside the 1 year warranty they provide. You have to chase it up wherever you purchased it

When my iPhone 4 went kaput a couple of years ago outside of warranty Apple changed it. First they asked me to pay a repair fee (I think it was €180ish), I politely declined and they replaced it for free. I don't know if anything has changed, but o2 (from whom I bought it) told me just to deal direct with Apple.

Like everyone else, it was all very efficient apart from having to go to the An Post depot to pick up the empty box Apple sent me as my postman couldn't be bothered to deliver it. HTC have a similarly efficient repairs process too.

Rascasse wrote: »
    When my iPhone 4 went kaput a couple of years ago outside of warranty Apple changed it. First they asked me to pay a repair fee (I think it was €180ish), I politely declined and they replaced it for free. I don't know if anything has changed, but o2 (from whom I bought it) told me just to deal direct with Apple.

Like everyone else, it was all very efficient apart from having to go to the An Post depot to pick up the empty box Apple sent me as my postman couldn't be bothered to deliver it. HTC have a similarly efficient repairs process too.
    They'll have UPS collect from you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Do they not post you the empty box and UPS label any more?

I know HTC don't. UPS guy turns up with a label and envelope but you have to package it yourself.

Rascasse wrote: »
    Do they not post you the empty box and UPS label any more?

I know HTC don't. UPS guy turns up with a label and envelope but you have to package it yourself.

They still post you the empty box. I'm going with this option instead now. Thanks for the advice everyone. Il let you know how I get on but so far it's excellent customer support.

Advertisement