Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank charges on account of student

Options
  • 11-03-2013 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Firstly I have contacted my branch (Montrose) about this before Xmas but have not had any word back from them.

Since BoI brought in charges I have been in full time education. I have given proof of this in writing to the bank. I have asked for all charges taken from my account to be refunded.

Can you please confirm or deny that you will be able to refund all charges? If not can you explicitly state where in our contract you specify charges will not be refunded in such circumstances? I never switched my account from a 'student' to a 'standard' current account btw.

Many thanks,

Bruce.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi bruce01,

Thanks for posting.

We are sorry to hear that you have not had a response from your branch. As your query is account specific we would not be in a position to confirm or deny if you are eligible for a refund. If you would like to pm us your name and contact phone number we can ask that a representative from your branch makes contact with you to discuss this further.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bruce01

Hi Tara,

surely given the circumstances (an account held by a 'proven' student is debited charges) you can give a yes or no answer as to whether charges can be refunded, and the specific rationale behind the decision? I don't see what other circumstances come into this that may only be applicable to me.

I would like someone from my branch to contact me. I will PM you now.

Bruce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi bruce01,

The answer would depend on what type of student you are (full/part time), what type of account was opened for you and how and when you provided the branch with proof that you are a student. We cannot give a blanket answer as there can be many extenuating circumstances.

We've received your pm and have forwarded it to your branch who will be in touch with you directly.

Thanks again for taking the time to post.
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bruce01

Just to let you know: I had a call from an employee of BOI telling me that even though I have proven myself to be a full time student, in writing (December last year) with a letter of confirmation from my University and government issued ID in my branch of BOI, that it was at the discretion of BOI whether or not I pay charges. I have subsequently been charged once again for using your banking infrastructure. I was also promised to be issued with the contract my account is operating under outlining specifically where I had allowed the debiting of my account. This was never furnished. I find it amazing that BOI can be this arrogant. Understandably I have absolutely no recourse to fair treatment or indeed a modicum of respect or dignity in this matter. How is that understandable? Because my little faith in banks is finally extinguished. Well done.

Advertisement