Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

planning permission - stock plans

Options
  • 11-03-2013 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Could anybody please tell me what is the process of getting planning approval for a house that has been previously approved and built in other countries, eg. US and Spain. I already have the rubber stamped blue prints from the US. They have been approved as stock plans in California.

Has anybody out there ever done this? Thank you.
    Padraig & Petra

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I somehow doubt that a house designed for California is going to sit comfortably in an Irish setting - urban or rural?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,944 ✭✭✭✭muffler

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I somehow doubt that a house designed for California is going to sit comfortably in an Irish setting - urban or rural?
    Agreed.

Given current building regulation requirements your house should be designed specifically to maximize solar gains etc. not to mention the planning issues.

I recall a situation from a few years ago where my hands were basically tied in relation to the design of a house and I wasnt happy with it but at the end of the day the clients wouldnt take my advice and I had to give them what they wanted. Needless to say the planners weren't happy with it either and the planner rang me just before decision time and told me it wasnt going to be granted. Her words to me were "if we wanted Dallas style houses then we should all move to America"

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PadraigQ

I see.. The house was designed in the South Californian desert, where it withstands savage extremes of weather ( blizzard, flash floods, boiling temps etc etc ), not to mention seismic conditions. It is also passive solar, low energy consumption and very eco friendly and also very economical to build.. It's a no-brainer, but the planners may not agree. However, I am determined and stubborn. Thanks for replying. Padraig

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭beyondpassive

Sounds like an Earthship. In principle a great concept, in reality a bit of a nightmare. A semi submerged solar orientated hobbit like cabin built into the hillside with tyres as the retaining walls. Better to take the solar orientation concept and apply it to a well designed house, which may be built into a hill, if you have one. Local needs, road access and groundwater will be the major issues for planning, a few buried tyres and second hand windows wont make for a more desirable planning case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

PadraigQ wrote: »
    However, I am determined and stubborn. Thanks for replying. Padraig

You should be able to seek out someone ( Architect / Technician/ Engineer ) to prepare the application documents on that basis. There are statutory requirements attached to making an application , legally a local authority cannot "rubber stamp" a design.

Morally you should take the hit in costs and time if it fails however.

And enjoy the fruits if successful - which I hope you are :)

• Advertisement

Thanks lads.
    it's not quiet Earthship, but it is Earthbag construction (superadobe), developed by world renowned architect, Nader Kalili (google)
    There is volumes of internet coverage, also from Reuters, CNN,BBC,the UN, etc, etc.. The evidence is all there and available to see.. Surely if I could get someone with commonsense (ha ha) to listen to me, the system or concept would speak for itself. I plan on building on of these anyway, even if it is just as a non residential show house. Any thoughts ? Or does anybody know a radical architect or engineer that fancies a challenge ? The project will be in South Tipp.

ps.. no tyres used :)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,301 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

there are provisions in most county council development plans for "contemporary design" and once the design is deemed non obtrusive in the landscape.
    Dont rely too much on "common sense" within the council, but rather treat the county development plan as the bible.

this is the rural design guide for south tipp LA.

Contemporary design can be catered for but the site context is vitally important. the style that you propose will take some justification ;)

very best of luck with it :)

i will investigate more. Thanks for the info

it seems that under the contemporary section, they will accept earthbag/ earth block material, including lime mortar.. This is perfect, although it looks like we will have to build in angular style with some sort of conventional roof. But it is positive stuff. Thanks for the lead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭beyondpassive

There is a mud and wood house in Sligo, it s a very well designed and put together project. It is meticulously detailed to work in the Irish climate with its horizontal rain and our unique mizzle (not mist yet not quite drizzle). Cloughjordan in North tipp has plenty of hemplime builds and a strawbale build.

Does that Super-adobe Architect off the US telly know anything about Part L 2011 regulations? :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Certified

Does that Super-adobe Architect off the US telly know anything about Part L 2011 regulations? :-)

Sadly, Nader Khalili (1936-2008) is deceased.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

There is a mud and wood house in Sligo, it s a very well designed and put together project. It is meticulously detailed to work in the Irish climate with its horizontal rain and our unique mizzle (not mist yet not quite drizzle). Cloughjordan in North tipp has plenty of hemplime builds and a strawbale build.

The winner of last years Greenawards was an arch who desinged and the owner self built a hemp lime house

Google "The Green Residential Building awards hemp lime"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

PadraigQ wrote: »
    it seems that under the contemporary section, they will accept earthbag/ earth block material, including lime mortar.. This is perfect, although it looks like we will have to build in angular style with some sort of conventional roof. But it is positive stuff. Thanks for the lead :)

Once you satisfy the housing need requirements and the criteria of the development plan, the planners in South Tipp would certainly consider something out of the ordinary, in my experience providing the design addresses (and is shown to address) the site features.

Planning aside, have you looked into how you will be able to demonstrate/achieve compliance with building regulations and how insurable the property will be etc.

Advertisement