Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dole

Options
  • 11-03-2013 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Is there any way that someone who has worked for 18 years is not entitled to a penny on the social welfare?

I find it hard to believe that this has happened to us. Wife was laid off nearly 2 years ago. We've 2 kids not of school going age. She was on reduced social welfare payments until that ran out after a year and since then for the past year or so she hasn't been entitled to a penny on the social welfare. I am working and am finding it hard paying the mortgage and supporting wife and 2 kids TBH.

I just never thought you couldn't be entitled to anything from social welfare.

Have called local social welfare office numerous times but phone doesn't get answered. It's never been answered any time we have phoned. Work to rule?

Any other avenues we can take?

Thanks anyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

tunner wrote: »
    Is there any way that someone who has worked for 18 years is not entitled to a penny on the social welfare?

I find it hard to believe that this has happened to us. Wife was laid off nearly 2 years ago. We've 2 kids not of school going age. She was on reduced social welfare payments until that ran out after a year and since then for the past year or so she hasn't been entitled to a penny on the social welfare. I am working and am finding it hard paying the mortgage and supporting wife and 2 kids TBH.

I just never thought you couldn't be entitled to anything from social welfare.

Have called local social welfare office numerous times but phone doesn't get answered. It's never been answered any time we have phoned. Work to rule?

Any other avenues we can take?

Thanks anyone

When your spouses benefit exhausted she should have applied for jobseekers allowance which is a means tested payment. Your earnings and any capital>€20,000 would be assessed as means. If her means are in excess she should have signed for credits.
    If your children arent school going why are you supporting them? Are they in employment? If unemployed they and>18 years they should make their own jobseekers allowance claim. If they are <25 years and living at home your earnings will be assessed as means.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tunner

Sorry she was on job seekers for 1 year and then that ran out. Kids are 4 and 2. 4 year old starting school In Sept. by supporting them I mean buying clothes food etc etc which I would regard as support.

When my wife went back to work after kids she was put on. 3 day week and claimed for the other 2. Then she was made redundant and place stopped trading.
    She then went onto job seekers till that ran out and now gets nothing.

All means tested and they don't take account of mortgage size or loans or anything.

Just find it hard to believe not entitled to the social welfare or job seekers benefit or whatever it's called these days

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

mp22 wrote: »

Not entitled to it. Again they don't take loans or mortgage payments into account!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

If you were refused FIS that means that after tax, employee PRSI, Universal Social Charge, Public Service Pension Levy and superannuation, your wages are still in excess of €602.
    If you are having problems managing your bills/mortgage you should contact MABS.
    http://www.mabs.ie/contact-mabs/

• Advertisement

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    If you were refused FIS that means that after tax, employee PRSI, Universal Social Charge, Public Service Pension Levy and superannuation, your wages are still in excess of €602.
    If you are having problems managing your bills/mortgage you should contact MABS.
    http://www.mabs.ie/contact-mabs/

No they are not! I can't contact the office though to speak to them. Ever!

tunner wrote: »
    No they are not! I can't contact the office though to speak to them. Ever!

When you applied for FIS you supplied them with payslips and a P60 and your employer/wages clerk also completed a section of the application form in order to calculate your entitlement. In the letter of refusal they sent you, what was the reason for the refusal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

When did you apply for FIS and when did you get the disallowance letter? You can appeal this decision. If your circumstances have changed since you first applied then you should re-apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

OP, the system is undoubtably flawed. In your case your married...but it doesn't matter...if you share a house with someone, regardless of your relationship and they earn over the designated amount, you are entitled to nothing and they are expected to support you - even if you are not in a relationship.

Tell me how that's fair?

OP, the system is undoubtably flawed. In your case your married...but it doesn't matter...if you share a house with someone, regardless of your relationship and they earn over the designated amount, you are entitled to nothing and they are expected to support you - even if you are not in a relationship.

Tell me how that's fair?
    This is not so. If you share a house with someone but are not co-habiting as specified by DSP see below:
    2.2 The criteria for assessing cohabitation

• The duration of the relationship;
    • The basis on which the couple live together;
    • The degree of financial dependence of either adult on the other and any agreements in respect of their finances;
    • The degree and nature of any financial arrangements between the adults including any joint purchase of an estate or interest in land or joint acquisition of personal property;
    • Whether there are one or more dependent children;
    • Whether one of the adults cares for and supports the children of the other; and
    • The degree to which the adults present themselves to others as a couple.
    You can still get JSA.

• Advertisement
Advertisement