Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powder

Options
  • 10-03-2013 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I am looking for a new powder/setting powder as I find that make up sometimes just slides off my nose and cheeks, even though the rest of my face would be quite dry.
    I have tried Rimmel and No.7 powder in translucent but I dont find them any good.
    I am hearing a lot about MAC mineralize skinfinish natural, but am wondering would this be good for keeping make up in place, and if the lightest shade 'light' would be pale enough for someone who wears for eg revlon colourstay in ivory.
    Also open to any other suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Vichy's Dermablend is meant to be amazing and doesn't budge! Personally I love ELF'S HD powder or Lush's face powder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

I like mac for the translucent powder.
    Essence also do a good translucent powder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

Anabelle wrote: »
    I am looking for a new powder/setting powder as I find that make up sometimes just slides off my nose and cheeks, even though the rest of my face would be quite dry.
    I have tried Rimmel and No.7 powder in translucent but I dont find them any good.
    I am hearing a lot about MAC mineralize skinfinish natural, but am wondering would this be good for keeping make up in place, and if the lightest shade 'light' would be pale enough for someone who wears for eg revlon colourstay in ivory.
    Also open to any other suggestions
    I use mac nc15 (if I could get lighter I'd use lighter) and to be honest, I don't like the mineralise skin finish, you're not using an awful lot to set the makeup and it does actually set the makeup but I much prefer translucent, it doesn't seem to upset the shade of my foundation, MSF did.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

I really like Collections sheer loose powder, being using this with colourstay for a few weeks and I love it, my skin can get really oily, but my skin looks perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

xLexie wrote: »
    I use mac nc15 (if I could get lighter I'd use lighter) and to be honest, I don't like the mineralise skin finish, you're not using an awful lot to set the makeup and it does actually set the makeup but I much prefer translucent, it doesn't seem to upset the shade of my foundation, MSF did.

If you're using sheer select, there is lighter. I use nc5 and I bought it in mac Henry street. Not sure about their other powders though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I splashed out on Laura Merciers translucent powder and it's totally worth the spend. I have a very oily tzone and I find one application of powder lasts the whole day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

I've found MAC Mineralise Skin Finish Natural in Light to be good :) I'm lighter than a NC/NW 15 (Soft Ivory in Laura Mercier and BR10 in YSL Touche Eclat, I'm nearly translucent :D) and use it. It doesn't really add "colour" on top of your foundation, it kinda blurs out imperfections a little and even skin tone. I wouldn't worry about it being too dark, on it's own it only has light coverage so your foundation shade/skin tone wouldn't be altered drastically.

I use it mainly to add a little more coverage to a foundation without going all the way to full coverage. It does work as a setting powder and reduces the amount of shine on my face (I have quite oily-combination skin)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I love Mineralize Skinfinish personally. I'd consider myself pretty pale, I guess. I wear a NW20 in foundation and I use Medium in the powder. I think Light would be very pale. I'd recommend it as a powder anyway.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Bobbi Browne do a really good one, haven't bought it in a while now but it's about €34 iirc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

Essence and Elf do a great budget one! For more mid range brands I'd recommend either the Lush or the Vichy Dermablend ones. Mac Skin Finish is also great but it's not a loose powder. And word of warning it shows up shiny in flash photography.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

+1 for ELF. I use the Studio High Definition Powder and I find it great, good coverage, not too chalky and keeps your foundation in place. I use the translucent one, it looks very white but it's fine. I'm pale enough but the powder looks fine even if I have fake tan on. It's a bargain too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Anabelle

Thanks for all the replies. Does the mac skinfinish natural look 'shimmery' on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Anabelle wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. Does the mac skinfinish natural look 'shimmery' on?

The Skin Finish Natural isn't shimmery at all. It's virtually matte. I have oily skin so I steer well clear of shimmery/dewy finishes with my foundation/powder so I can vouch for it's lack of shimmer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rainshine

I second the Collection Sheer Loose Powder in Translucent. I've used the ELF HD powder too but I prefer the Collection one.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

I have to give a shout out for mac mineralize, picked it up last week in light plus and it's the best powder I've used in a long time. I've started using up cheaper foundations that previously didn't suit because they look perfect under this powder.

Advertisement