Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with buying imac or used model, thanks guys

Options
  • 10-03-2013 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have a Pc (dell inspiron 530 desktop). I have it for a good many years now and want to upgrade.
    I was hoping to go mac. The main use Id have for it would be music production (using programs like Reason, or possibly apple Logic (http://store.apple.com/ie/product/MB795Z/A/logic-studio) in the future.
    My plan is to get an imac for home use and an ipad (to use instead of smartphone for reading and using when travelling).
    I was looking at the mac mini because i already own a good screen and want to keep coast down.

I was wondering if i should get a second hand or re-conditioned iMac. I probably dont need the lastest model and ill be travelling for 4/5 months next year when I wont be using it so it will have aged and i wont get the most out of it.
    Basically i was wondering what you would recommend as a new model and what I would need from a second hand model and where would be a good place to get one if you have any tips!! Aswell which ipad would be good.
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Hi, the refurbished Mac's are just like buying it brand new. They even repackage it in a new box so it'll feel exactly like new. They never sell refurbs that have any cosmetic scuffs, etc. And inside they are completely wiped clean. So if you want to save a few bob that would be a way to go. You might also say that a refurb Mac would be even more reliable then a new one as Apple would have rigorously tested it before selling it again.

Instead of buying an iMac and an iPad how about buying a MacBook Pro 15". You would have the best of both worlds and all the portability to record wherever you please. You could even take it traveling with you.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 michaeloc3

Thanks a mil for the advice! Thats some serious kit!! YEah sounds good but main reason i wanted the pad is because it would be light-weight and not the end of the world if lost/stolen!!! Good news on the refurb..

Advertisement