Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus - 75 not showing info on route on bus?

Options
  • 10-03-2013 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭

So, while waiting for a bus at Foxrock Church yesterday two buses went past (heading into Dun Laoghaire) which did not show the route number, but rather the "Out of service" tag. Both buses had the interior lights on and passengers on board. According to the RealTime info and the timetable, both should have been 75's.

In the first case I thought it may have been the driver forgetting to turn on the sign, but with the second bus doing the exact same, I suspect it is a deliberate policy. Considering that the route pases a minimum of 20 stops between Foxrock and Dun Laoghaire, I really don't understand why this is being done :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

i doubt if it was deliberate. when a driver signs on their bus and presses enter to activate the route, or basically go in service sometimes communication is lost between his wayfarer (ticket equipment) and the scroll. so as far as a driver is concerned his wayfarer is showing him in service whilst the bus itself is showing "out of service". he can issue tickets, move up stages etc. but wouldn't have a clue he is actually out of service. sometimes people would put out their hands for an out of service bus, bus stops and it's only then if the boarding passenger tells the driver that he's out of service that he will realise this. the bus is full of cameras including the cab. in order to change the scroll manually the driver would have to turn his back and in-put his number manually. a driver is not going to risk putting the bus out of service deliberately. it would be caught on camera and to take a bus out of service deliberately is a sackable offence.
    i assume there are other routes servicing this area (foxrock church) so unless someone put out their hand hey wouldn't stop. in most areas there a single route would operate until they meet up on a main road with other routes. because he would be the only route servicing a certain stretch of road the driver would automatically pull into the stop where he sees people standing at the stop, hence he had passengers on when he passed you.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

Sounds like there suffering delays and mission control is blanking them out to make DL ontime for the next departure to Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

i doubt if it was deliberate. when a driver signs on their bus and presses enter to activate the route, or basically go in service sometimes communication is lost between his wayfarer (ticket equipment) and the scroll. so as far as a driver is concerned his wayfarer is showing him in service whilst the bus itself is showing "out of service". he can issue tickets, move up stages etc. but wouldn't have a clue he is actually out of service. sometimes people would put out their hands for an out of service bus, bus stops and it's only then if the boarding passenger tells the driver that he's out of service that he will realise this. the bus is full of cameras including the cab. in order to change the scroll manually the driver would have to turn his back and in-put his number manually. a driver is not going to risk putting the bus out of service deliberately. it would be caught on camera and to take a bus out of service deliberately is a sackable offence.
    i assume there are other routes servicing this area (foxrock church) so unless someone put out their hand hey wouldn't stop. in most areas there a single route would operate until they meet up on a main road with other routes. because he would be the only route servicing a certain stretch of road the driver would automatically pull into the stop where he sees people standing at the stop, hence he had passengers on when he passed you.

That makes sense. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,609 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Given that the 46a serves the same route east of Stillorgan, if a 75 is running late controllers will sometimes instruct drivers to switch to out of service and operate on a set down basis only on that section of the route.

Advertisement