Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collecting for crap consoles

Options
  • 09-03-2013 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

So, some of you oddballs (!) have affinities for consoles which are rubbish.

In the past I collected a bit of 32X - I think I'm going to go back to the Jaguar.

Anyone else like rubbish consoles? (Retr0 and his CDi spring to mind :pac:)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well sometimes you are pleasantly surprised by a supposedly crap console. The Virtual Boy for instance has very few games and was a complete flop. However the majority of the games for it are actually really good.

The CDi though, I've found a few good exclusives for it but it's not surprised me like the virtual boy, it's a bit crap.

The bad thing about crap consoles is that the good games can sometimes fetch very high prices and can be hard to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The bad thing about crap consoles is that the good games can sometimes fetch very high prices and can be hard to find.

Like Alien Versus Predator on the Jag, yeah? :pac:

I know what you mean about being pleasantly surprised. One thing I quite like about them is witnessing untapped potential - a game is good for a brief moment and you get a glimpse of what may have been. (I get that a lot with the 32X)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I found that with the Virtual Boy as well. Screenshots for the game look crap but playing it is a different experience. It's very immersive since you are cut off from outside stimuli and the 3D effect is excellent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mario Tennis on the Virtual Boy is one of the most amazing demonstrators of 3d tech I've ever seen. It's, still, the sort of thing you could show to someone who doesn't "get" 3d gaming on any current gen console or handheld and they'll play for 5 minutes and go "Wow!"
    I'd love to see a VB collection on the 3ds, it'd be pretty sweet.
    Galactic Pinball is brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm really surprised they haven't put a VB collection together for the 3DS. Nintendo have been moaning about how difficult it is to port classic games to 3D. Okay - but why not games for the Virtual boy?

I know there are some mirrors inside up to magic, but the source is just two LCDs in the end. Cant see how it would be difficult to port.

• Advertisement

It would need some extensive reprogramming though. The displays are switched constantly on the VB, a different perspective displayed each frame. On the 3DS both frames are displayed simultaneously.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Given the simplicity of the VB games, it wouldn't be hard to use the usual VC emualtion and "fake" the 3D.
    Competent emulators already exist for the format, and we know that the folks running old games on new hardware aren't adverse to the idea of using those when they think they can get away with it.
    Besides, I emailed Nintendo with that very question, on the release of the 3DS, I got a nice email saying what a great idea it was, how much the replier still enjoyed his Virtual Boy, but that game idea submissions couldn't be accepted unsolicited.
    Happy and saddened, all in the same email :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I've a nice collection of crap consoles at this point, Jag CD, CDi, 32X, GX4000, Atari 7800.

Given the very limited number of games released for these they do tend to be expensive. Some of the Amstrad carts are very pricey, probably cost you more to collect all 25 carts for this than 75% of all the NES carts released !!

oh and they never get played :)

Advertisement