Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leap Card - newbie, question

Options
  • 09-03-2013 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi.

I want to buy leap card. I don't understand one thing. How am I charged in dublin buses? For example, I want to travel 7 stops, so how this system knows how many stops I want to travel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

In theory you go to the driver if you're not taking the max journey, and tell him, and he charges the correct fare to your card.

In reality, every time I've used the leap card on the bus, I've been incorrectly charged by the driver (not to my benefit). "Every" time is not that often - I don't take the bus regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,390 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

To answer your question, the system doesn't calculate your fare like the Luas and Dart do because you don't 'tag off' so either tell the driver your destination or state the fare you want to pay and the driver will deduct that amount from the card. Agree with the previous poster, drivers seem to have a problem deducting the correct fare from Leap cards, even when you tell them the amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Wicked131

Ok. Next question. I don't know how many stops will I travel (it will be everyday travel for me), can I somehow check how much should I pay? It will be easier to tell the driver every day amount of money he should deduct from my leap card

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Wicked131 wrote: »
    Ok. Next question. I don't know how many stops will I travel (it will be everyday travel for me), can I somehow check how much should I pay? It will be easier to tell the driver every day amount of money he should deduct from my leap card

I think you can check on dublinbus.ie how many stages your journey will take so I guess in theory you could go up to the driver with your card and say 'x stages please' and get charged the right ammount.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Wicked131

P_1 wrote: »
    I think you can check on dublinbus.ie how many stages your journey will take so I guess in theory you could go up to the driver with your card and say 'x stages please' and get charged the right ammount.

Perfect! Thanks everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭markpb

Wicked131 wrote: »

There are four tabs at the top of the front page of the DB website - the fourth one will let you enter a route, start and end points and tell you the cash and Leap fares for the journey you enter (example). Once you know that, get on board, put your card on the drivers ticket machine and state the Leap fare.

Advertisement