Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Msc Applied Psychology, Trinity - feedback please

Options
  • 09-03-2013 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi all. I applied for the masters in applied psychology in Trinity and have met two people in the last week that told me I don't have a chance of getting a place on the course as they tend to allocate all of the places to past Trinity students. Does anyone have any experience of this?

My undergrad degree is from DBS, I studied part-time. I did get a first class honours and have been doing some volunteer work as a support group facilitator so I thought I had a good chance of getting a place, but I guess maybe I was feeling a bit foolishly positive!! I haven't applied for any other courses as this was the only one I found during which I would work as well (I have a full time day job at the moment but my manager could give my flexibility if I did get a place). I'm not sure of any other options if this doesn't work out.

Did anyone from colleges other than Trinity get a place on the applied psychology masters and if so what kind of experience did you have? I'd appreciate any feedback, I'm a bit worried now as my options are quite limited - I definitely can't afford to attend a full time course five days a week. Thanks for your input.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Lunafizzle

I know a few people who attended this course in the past or are currently enrolled and they all did their undergrads elsewhere.

I can't imagine why someone told you that as I'm currently doing a psych masters in a different university and there is only one person in my class who did her undergrad in the uni.

The only thing I would say however that while it is excellent that your boss is flexible with regards to you attending college and completing a postgrad - a psychology masters is a lot of work. I have class 4 days a week and a mountain of assignments to wade through - I am aware that trinitys' programme has less class hours/less days per week, but you will still be working on your thesis and all the assignments/exams for your modules throughout the year ( . . . . . it never ends :D). Unless you're going for the 2 year part time option, I'd imagine juggling full time work would be tricky for the year long course.

Btw, your grades are brilliant and the fact that you have some experience will all stand to you and enhance your chances of getting a place irrelevant of what institution you got your degree from
    Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Capricorn09

Hi Lunafizzle,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the two year part-time option would be great but they don't seem to offer this course as a part time option. I think the classes average out at about one and a half days per week.

I studied for my undergrad part-time and I know this would be of course be much harder again, but it did give me an idea of what to expect! I will just kiss goodbye to any kind of social life for another year if I do get a place :pac:

Thanks again for coming back to me - best of luck with your course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Lunafizzle

Hi Lunafizzle,

I will just kiss goodbye to any kind of social life for another year if I do get a place :pac:

Ha! +1 on this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Rewind

Did you get the place? Curios as I'm considering this route also.

Advertisement