Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

useless operating sysem

Options
  • 09-03-2013 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I recently bought a new computer running the windows 8 operating system and I have had nothing but trouble sine I started using it firstly I was unable to download the Microsoft office trial although with Microsoft help I got over this, then a few days later my computer was stopping and restarting with the message system_service_exception again I sorted this issue, after sorting this I realised I had some preinstalled apps that needed updating so I went into the windows store and attempted to update them with no luck although now they seem to be updated, finally I realised I was unable to do any editing such as change the font colour or style in windows mail this is an issue that has been on-going for quite a while now and the worse thing is nobody else seems to be experiencing this issue and any help I sought led to nothing so I was wondering if anybody here has any of the same issues and if they sorted them and how

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You are already dealing with the supplier on a different thread and that part of the discussion stays over there
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056894428/1#post83492193

Your post is a wall of text in bold, it's very hard to read.

I don't know what you really want because the sentences merge into a wall of text.

I think you are asking about email

In mail check that the message is not formatted in plain text as then you can't change the font or colour then.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

If you are getting constant errors like that, log them and bring system back to supplier, if they return it as fixed and you are still getting the problems then bring it back and insist on a replacement, don't leave it too long to do though

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

HelpWithIT wrote: »
    If you are getting constant errors like that, log them and bring system back to supplier, ...
    The OP is already in contact with the supplier , so no need to duplicate that here.
    Like I said
    and that part of the discussion stays over there

This is the Windows forum so please keep the discussion to software.

/Mod

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I recently bought a new computer running the windows 8 operating system and I have had nothing but trouble since I started using it.

Firstly, I was unable to download the Microsoft Office trial, although with Microsoft help I got over this.

Then a few days later my computer was stopping and restarting with the message system_service_exception. Again I sorted this issue.

After sorting the stop/restart issue, I realised I had some preinstalled apps that needed updating so I went into the windows store and attempted to update them with no luck, although now they seem to be updated.

Finally, I realised I was unable to do any editing such as change the font colour or style in windows mail. This is an issue that has been on-going for quite a while now, and the worse thing is nobody else seems to be experiencing this issue and any help I sought led to nothing.

I was wondering if anybody here has any of the same issues; and if so, how they had sorted them out.

After breaking up the wall of text that is the OP and reinserting the missing punctuation so I can actually parse it, my understanding of the situation is as follows:
    • You were unable to download a trial version of Microsft Office - this issue is now resolved.
    • You were experiencing repeated system crashes which were resulting in hard reboots - this issue is now resolved.
    • You were having difficulty updating preinstalled apps distributed through the Windows Store - this issue is now resolved.
    • You are unable to apply any styles or change font settings away from default plain-text settings when composing messages in Windows Mail - this issue is still ongoing.

Is this correct?

There are a number of posters here who are happy to help you, and since several of us work tech support in some capacity or another we generally understand how frustrating it is to try and resolve these issues. You'll get better advice and support if you can explain in a clear and detailed manner the problem you're experiencing, the symptoms that you've seen, the steps you've taken to resolve them, and the current status of your problem.

This means that if your only outstanding problem is the issue with Windows Mail, ranting for several sentences about several other issues you've resolved successfully with Windows 8 simply gets in the way and puts people off reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Darrenf1969

I am new to having to use this forum and wouldn't have to if where I bought my computer knew what they are supposed to know anyway basically I can send, receive and add attachments to windows mail but cant do any editing such as change the font colour or style no matter what I try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

Download and try Mozilla Thunderbird, it's free and is a stand alone mail programme

https://www.mozilla.org/EN/thunderbird/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I am new to having to use this forum and wouldn't have to if where I bought my computer knew what they are supposed to know anyway basically I can send, receive and add attachments to windows mail but cant do any editing such as change the font colour or style no matter what I try

OK, that's understandable. I know it must be frustrating to continually run into problems like this after spending a substantial amount of money on a new computer, but hopefully we can help you get them sorted out quickly.

I don't use the Windows Mail app myself but from the Mail App FAQ page it looks like you should be able to access the options for changing text styles either by swiping up from the bottom of the screen on a touch device, or by holding down the Windows key and pressing Z. What happens when you do this? What email provider are you using?

Another option you could try is to use a different email client - as HelpwithIT has suggested, Mozilla Thunderbird is a widely used and popular program. Other alternatives include FoxMail and The Bat!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Fysh wrote: »
    Mozilla Thunderbird is a widely used and popular program. Other alternatives include FoxMail and The Bat!.

Apparently, OP is going with the times and trying to use a Modern UI app rather than the legacy apps suggested here.

Torqay wrote: »
    Apparently, OP is going with the times and trying to use a Modern UI app rather than the legacy apps suggested here.

I don't see any assertion one way or another that use or avoidance of the Modern UI is a key factor for the OP; heck, we don't even know if it's a touch screen device he's using.

In any case, suggesting alternative software packages (at least one of which is currently actively supported and developed by its publisher) means the OP has more choices when it comes to resolving the issue at hand. I'm sure he'd be grateful for any suggestions you could make regarding mail clients using the Modern UI available in the Windows Store :)

sorry guys this tech talk is way above my head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,176 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

From the Windows Mail App, compose a new message.

On a touch device, swipe up from the bottom of the screen; or, with a mouse, right click on any blank space on the screen. You will now see a context menu appear at the bottom of the screen with Font, Attachment, Emoticon, and Draft options.

This should resolve your issue.

tried that no luck

• Registered Users Posts: 82,176 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well, make sure you're doing it right, because it's definitely there.

If you're still having trouble, make sure your cursor is in the body of the email, ready to type the email, before right-clicking.

244518.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

HelpWithIT wrote: »
    Download and try Mozilla Thunderbird, it's free and is a stand alone mail programme

https://www.mozilla.org/EN/thunderbird/

On the subject of thunderbird is there an easy way to import from windows mail into it?

Tried last night and it didnt work out the way i hoped exported messages and contact lists and they didnt import correctly.

Sparks43 wrote: »
    On the subject of thunderbird is there an easy way to import from windows mail into it?

Tried last night and it didnt work out the way i hoped exported messages and contact lists and they didnt import correctly.

When I've done it in the past it was a bit of a faff, though it's not anywhere near as bad as getting Outlook to read Thunderbird email archives (thank you Microsoft!). Apparently there's now an add-on that helps Thunderbird handle the Windows Mail/Windows Live Mail message format. Have a look at this Mozilla FAQ, it should take you through all the necessary steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Thats excellent thank you very much.

Pain in the butt setting up the new Computer But it will be worth it.

Has a MS rating of 7.8:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

8 sucks a$$ tell them to send you 7.....or just get it by any means necessary...

honestly....they sent me vista and it was floating in one of my toilets for a year... they sent me 8 and I put a 10" stake knife through it.

We just need to skip every 2nd windows OS and look on them as the paid beta for something spectacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Fysh wrote: »
    When I've done it in the past it was a bit of a faff, though it's not anywhere near as bad as getting Outlook to read Thunderbird email archives (thank you Microsoft!). Apparently there's now an add-on that helps Thunderbird handle the Windows Mail/Windows Live Mail message format. Have a look at this Mozilla FAQ, it should take you through all the necessary steps.

It is still easier to import all mails and contacts from Windows Mail into Outlook (the trial version will suffice for our purposes) and then import into Thunderbird from there.

Advertisement