Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rounded bolt with red loctite

Options
  • 09-03-2013 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

I have two bolts to get out - just going to concentrate on one first.

The bolt is set into the hole with red loctite. The bolt is a hex type and has got rounded. I have been reading about getting a heat-gun to it (which I have) but can anyone tell me what to do about the fact that's it's rounded?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Drill into the bold and use a screw extractor?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Drill it out and use a bigger bolt next time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

You can also cut a slot into the head or even the threaded part itself with a cut-off wheel and try and screw it out with a flat blade screwdriver.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

You could tap in one if them star bits have used this method before to get Allan bolts out what size bolt you trying to get out and whats it on if ya go to drill it be careful try to center punch it because if the bit slips the job will be alot harder. If you could a drillpress or a drill in a drill stand would make life a little easier .Also if you use the star bit give it a good belt of the hammer then try to tighten it a small bit then go for out or a impact driver if the bolt is big enough GOOD LUCK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Screw extractor ordered and some titanium drill bits.

Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I have used a small electronics snips to grip the bolt head, one half of jaws into the centre rouned part, and the other grips the outer part.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭goldwing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Just to let you know the screw extractor worked perfect. Such a relief - never thought there would be such a thing available.

Advertisement