Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 trying to repair itself

Options
  • 09-03-2013 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭

Hi couldn't find a solution online or relevant thread on here.
    My brother's Windows 8 desktop ehen turned on wont start up but rather diagnosis itself and trys to repair itself but never does.
    Now he wont tell me what he did and is there any solution to this?
    The laptop is only 3 months old, I assume its covered by warranty?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

The warranty is unlikely to cover software mess ups.He needs to fess up to what happened and then a solution might be found.Other than that download a win 8 iso and reinstall windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Quite often that repair dialog that fails to complete in Windows 7 and 8 during start up is an indication of bad sectors on the hard drive or just a knackered HDD. So nothing might have been done to the computer, but its also an issue that can develop on a laptop thats HDD has been damaged due to being dropped or just badly handled.

If it is a HDD issue that is repairable by a reinstall the same problem can occur days weeks or months later as more bad sectors appear on the HDD.

Check the HDD with something like the Parted Magic Distro using the Disk Test tools and check also that you have access to the files on the HDD when its mounted in Parted Magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

If the Windows 8 fails to rectify itself and the fact that they don't ship recovery media with Windows 8 then I would think that it would have to be covered by warranty, dig your heels in (-;

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

HelpWithIT wrote: »
    If the Windows 8 fails to rectify itself and the fact that they don't ship recovery media with Windows 8 then I would think that it would have to be covered by warranty, dig your heels in (-;
    No need to tell someone to be confrontational when we don't even know what happened.

Yes it's a PITA that they don't ship media, but depending on the laptop there may be an option re-image it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

This will download the files for windows 8 setup ,
    near the end it will ask you if you want to:

(*) install now
    (*) install by creating media <<<<<< you need to choose this one
    (*) install later from your desktop

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

or :

Get a disc image and this will help make a dvd / bootable usb :

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

You'll need to point it at a windows 8 disc image.

• Advertisement
Advertisement