Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting out stables with field

Options
  • 09-03-2013 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is in the right place but Mods can move it if needed.

I have purchased a house which also has 3 well built stables and bit of land, nearly 1 acre, and bout .6 of that acre is the field.

I am thinking of possibly renting 2 stables out to someone who has or would like horses but doesn't have the land or stables.
    I do not know to much about horses but I do like them. My partner knows more as she has looked after her parents 2 ponies.
    I just thought they could be put to good use and a few quid for us towards the mortgage.

Just wondering if anyone has or is doing this?
    Just looking for some pointers (good and bad) on doing this.
    The field will be fenced and the stables have their own entrance.
    Our house is right beside the stables so won't be secluded.
    Also what should one charge(roughly) per stable?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

.6 of an acre would barely do one horse, if I'm honest. How much does your OH know about horses? I mean, it's other people's horses that you're being put in charge of. If it's not a lot but still intend on going ahead with this, have you considered DIY livery. You won't be able to charge as much but the horse owner would have more responsibility for the horse.
    Do you know how to respond to an emergency? Do you have vet/farrier contacts? Have you/your OH have any experience with colic/casting etc, which can be lethal unless action is taken straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭4th horsemen

sup_dude wrote: »
    .6 of an acre would barely do one horse, if I'm honest. How much does your OH know about horses? I mean, it's other people's horses that you're being put in charge of. If it's not a lot but still intend on going ahead with this, have you considered DIY livery. You won't be able to charge as much but the horse owner would have more responsibility for the horse.
    Do you know how to respond to an emergency? Do you have vet/farrier contacts? Have you/your OH have any experience with colic/casting etc, which can be lethal unless action is taken straight away?

Thanks for the reply Sup Dude,

I should have explained a bit better.
    I agree with you (altho I did think .6 might be good for a horse or two)
    I would be renting out the stables so someone could make use of them and It would be a DIY agreement.
    They would be responsible for their horse, we would just be renting the stable out to someone.
    I would have to get in contact with vets and a farrier and get their details and I would need to do some research. My partner wants to start getting into horses more also.
    I know Colic is serious and needs to be treated straight away and Casting can be serious too if the horse is down for long period but we have not had any experience dealing with such conditions.

Your kind of response is what I'm after as I want to know what is involved, good and bad.
    We do not know enough or experienced enough to take full responsibility of other peoples horses.
    I just thought someone could make use of the stables and bit of land we have and they be responsible (in most part) and we can feed and keep eye on the horse while owners not around.

We are looking to buy the field beside our field, which is not separated by fence yet, as it belongs to people we bought house off. So possibility we could have approx 1.5 acres of space.

Regards

The general rule of thumb for minimum field space for a horse is an acre for one and half an acre for any additional horses, so if you did buy the field beside, it would be more ideal.
    If it's DIY, you've very little to worry about. I'll assume that your OH knows how to lead a horse correctly and safely and how to handle a horse that's a little more lively. Is there anyone around that is into horses, that could give a helping hand if needs be? Maybe if you know someone, they could give you the basics in first aid such as bandaging, wound care, recognising signs of ill health, knowing what's a vet emergency and, as before, casting and colic responses.
    Since you have land, are you prepared to take on a pregnant mare? They require slightly different handling and there's a lot more risk of emergency. What about younger or more nervous horses? Could you work around them?
    Basically, as you've probably guessed, your main job would be handling and first response in emergencies. Can you deal with most situations like that? If not, is there anywhere you could learn?

We only just moved into our house last week and starting to getting to know the neighbors but don't know anyone around our area BUT.... my partners brothers fiance runs and is in charge of stables for a woman. She has been into horses for a long time so will be getting pointers and advice from her.
    I wouldn't want to take on a pregnant mare as would not be comfortable with that (maybe down the line if things work out and get more experience we might be in position to if needed)
    OH can lead a horse but not had experience with more lively/difficult horses.
    Yeah we would need to learn the emergency side of things and get books and visit some stables, maybe spend some time in stables learning a bit and getting experience.

I would NOT be the type that would just do this and not do it right.
    I would want to be confident in it and knowledgeable enough to do it. Especially when you have other peoples pets in your possession.

I love animals but my main love is dogs and love my 3 and If I leave my 3 with Kennels(which i barely do) I want them to know how to handle and treat dogs and properly.
    Although my plan would be DIY stables(max 2 horses) I would still expect the owners to expect the same from me.

Have you horses yourself SUP DUDE?

We only just moved into our house last week and starting to getting to know the neighbors but don't know anyone around our area BUT.... my partners brothers fiance runs and is in charge of stables for a woman. She has been into horses for a long time so will be getting pointers and advice from her.
    I wouldn't want to take on a pregnant mare as would not be comfortable with that (maybe down the line if things work out and get more experience we might be in position to if needed)
    OH can lead a horse but not had experience with more lively/difficult horses.
    Yeah we would need to learn the emergency side of things and get books and visit some stables, maybe spend some time in stables learning a bit and getting experience.

I would NOT be the type that would just do this and not do it right.
    I would want to be confident in it and knowledgeable enough to do it. Especially when you have other peoples pets in your possession.

I love animals but my main love is dogs and love my 3 and If I leave my 3 with Kennels(which i barely do) I want them to know how to handle and treat dogs and properly.
    Although my plan would be DIY stables(max 2 horses) I would still expect the owners to expect the same from me.

Have you horses yourself SUP DUDE?

Well may I be one to thank you and pat you on the back for not going into this blind. Boards is always here if you're stuck on anything major but the best way to learn is always going to be experience.

I don't own a horse but I've worked with them for years in a livery/ breaking yard and I'm currently second year Equine Science. :)

Just a note about books... although they're great for certain things, be careful not to rely too much on them. Often, they only work during certain situations and are quite generalized. Unfortunately, I've had the experience with dealing with a "go by the book" person, and it was a nightmare to work with them. Just remember that books are more guidelines, some are far better than others but you need to almost have a fairly good idea as to what you're doing before you take value out of them.

• Advertisement

Good point bout the books, found that too when reading dog books, altho good books can give useful info too. But there is nothing like experience alright.

Thanks for all the info etc SUP DUDE and good luck with your studies, fair play.

Regards

Also can anyone give any info on insurance?
    Would it be public liability insurance?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 24 poppster

Hi

I'm just wondering how did you get on? My partner and I are looking at a similar situation where we want to consider renting out stables and a bit of land for people to keep their horses, to help put money against the mortgage.

- Did you eventually rent out the stables?
    - If so, are they still rented on DIY arrangements, or has it progressed further?
    - What were the rents being charged (roughly) per stable?
    - Any other lessons you learnt along the way?

Would really appreciate any pointers here... we have no experience with horses, but do have someone we can learn from.

Thanks very much.

Hello

Posting here as this is the closest discussion I've found to what I'm looking for, but coming at it from the other side.

We're going to be renting a house and some farmland, and it comes with stables. The place is based down in Co. Waterford. We know very little about horses, though.

We're thinking of renting out the stables to help us supplement our income.
    Apart from renting the stable space itself, we would also consider bringing the horses out to graze in the fields during the day and back in to the stables in the evening, feeding them hay and cleaning out stables.

- Would this be a typical arrangement people have when looking to rent out stables?
    - Are there any other typical arrangements that can be made for more/less effort?
    - What would be the typical rent per stable?

Would really appreciate any help or guidance here.

Many thanks.

poppster wrote: »
    Hi

I'm just wondering how did you get on? My partner and I are looking at a similar situation where we want to consider renting out stables and a bit of land for people to keep their horses, to help put money against the mortgage.

- Did you eventually rent out the stables?
    - If so, are they still rented on DIY arrangements, or has it progressed further?
    - What were the rents being charged (roughly) per stable?
    - Any other lessons you learnt along the way?

Would really appreciate any pointers here... we have no experience with horses, but do have someone we can learn from.

Thanks very much.

Hi poppster,

We haven't actually pursued this yet as have been spending most of my time doing fencing for my 3 dogs and other bits around our new house.
    We will need to spend a couple grand on boundary fencing first unless we used electric wire fence but need to check if that will be sufficient. It is in the pipeline and hopefully sometime towards end of this summer we might be in a better position to follow this up.

I think it is a good idea as I'm sure there are a lot of horse owners that might not have the facilities for their horses and would like to use someone else's who does have them. Even though it might be DIY and owners responsibilty for their horses I think we'd still need to have sufficient knowledge and some experience to have horses on our property.

There are a lot of proper stables / livery facilities around with sand arena's etc so check up on prices and see what would be a realistic price for your services when you get around to providing them.

All the best with it and please let me know how you get on if you get to do it. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the prompt response! :-)

I will do... will let you know how we get on. In the meanwhile, Happy New Year and wishing you all the best for 2014...

Cheers.

poppster wrote: »
    Thanks for the prompt response! :-)

I will do... will let you know how we get on. In the meanwhile, Happy New Year and wishing you all the best for 2014...

Cheers.

Thank you, and same to yourself, hope 2014 is a good one for ye.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1 keith 29

hi just wondering if you have rented out the stables??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Please don't resurrect zombie threads.

/Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement