Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Fairview A Safe Area ?

Options
  • 09-03-2013 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi

I'm a First time buyer and ha recently come across a very nice affordable place in fairview. Now as far as general location go's it's good. Close to town (public transport could be better but Oh well) But I have noticed some rather ramshackeled corp. flats around the corner from it and have heard tell (possibly exaggerated) stories of it being quite rough and at High risk of break-in's and muggings. SO the question remains is Fairview a safe area to live Over all ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The ramshackle place you talk about is probably In Ballybough! ;)

Fairview is fine, parking can be an issue if you have a car but otherwise you have everything on your doorstep.

Also look at Marino. That's a bit more settled/family orientated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

SpankFish wrote: »
    Hi

I'm a First time buyer and ha recently come across a very nice affordable place in fairview. Now as far as general location go's it's good. Close to town (public transport could be better but Oh well) But I have noticed some rather ramshackeled corp. flats around the corner from it and have heard tell (possibly exaggerated) stories of it being quite rough and at High risk of break-in's and muggings. SO the question remains is Fairview a safe area to live Over all ?

I lived there for over a year, always found it quite safe.

Depends really where exactly the place is? I lived the Ballybough side (Fairview Close), you'd get a few odd characters around, never had any trouble myself though. I'd imagine the Clontarf side might be a bit quieter.

As for public transport, I always found it great, plenty of buses and Darts going in and out of the city centre.

Is it an apartment or a house you're looking to buy? I never heard of any break-ins myself when I was living there - but I was living in a second-floor apartment. I'm not sure I'd have been comfortable living in a house or in a ground-floor apartment in the same area.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Fairview- is the same as Lucan and some other places- there are outlying areas sometimes literally miles away from the old village, who insist on calling themselves Fairview (or Lucan or where-ever). Old Fairview is not just safe- I'd go as far as suggesting its a highly desirable place to live- very safe, every possible amenity on your doorstep, very good public transport, and very easy to get in and out of the city centre. As previously mentioned- if you drive- parking could be an issue- but to be perfectly honest- you shouldn't have any need to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

smccarrick wrote: »
    Fairview- is the same as Lucan and some other places- there are outlying areas sometimes literally miles away from the old village, who insist on calling themselves Fairview (or Lucan or where-ever). Old Fairview is not just safe- I'd go as far as suggesting its a highly desirable place to live- very safe, every possible amenity on your doorstep, very good public transport, and very easy to get in and out of the city centre. As previously mentioned- if you drive- parking could be an issue- but to be perfectly honest- you shouldn't have any need to drive.

Hmmm in fairness, I wouldn't say that every possible amenity is on your doorstep. For a start, there isn't a decent supermarket within reasonable walking distance, where you could do a good big weekly shop. There's a crappy tiny little Tesco, and the overpriced Centra, and that's it really.

No nice restaurants either, as far as I'm aware.

But like I said, there's plenty of transport to get you to those places.

By the way, I'm totally open to correction on the above. :o Maybe I just didn't find the good places, when I was living there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Flats around the corner?
    Are you looking at Richmond Rd OP?
    Yes it's called Fairview but that's a stretch, it's Ballybough realy. ;)

Fairview proper is a great area but now I'm wondering where you'll be.
    If it's Phibsborough Avenue and the streets off this then parking is a disaster.
    Terraced housing designed for an age before parked cars. Just something to think about.

For a start, there isn't a decent supermarket within reasonable walking distance, where you could do a good big weekly shop.

Artaine Castle could be walked in 20 minutes.
    Ok it's uphill all the way but it's not far. I'd call it a reasonable distance, maybe others wouldn't

I don't know restaurants but Brams Cafe is famous, nyom nyom :)

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Flats around the corner?
    Yes it's called Fairview but that's a stretch, it's Ballybough realy. ;)

Fairview proper is a great area but now I'm wondering where you'll be.
    If it's Phibsborough Avenue and the streets off this then parking is a disaster.
    Terraced housing designed for an age before parked cars. Just something to think about.

Artaine Castle could be walked in 20 minutes.
    Ok it's uphill all the way but it's not far. I'd call it a reasonable distance, maybe others wouldn't

I don't know restaurants but Brams Cafe is famous, nyom nyom :)

New Aldi being built on East Wall Road. Opens in July! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I lived about 500 yards from fairview , main downside, traffic is always busy, 7am til 9pm, on the main road.
    parking spaces are limited.
    Theres a back, lane behind the library, its legal to park there ,as far as i know ,
    IF you dont park in front of someones door,entrance.
    theres a good library, internet acess ,not usually too busy.
    I know ballybough can be a bit rough ,eg use common sense ,dont walk around with an iphone after dark.
    I ve never seen any trouble in fairview ,at any time,always felt very safe there
    google fairview flooding , dublin,.

eg i heard some areas had flooding 2 years ago.
    I,d say its handier ,to go to aldi parnell st ,unless east wall has a free car park at aldi
    store.theres an aldi in moore st too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Fairview is a safe area, but there are no corporation flats there. Are you thinking of the ones further down North Strand/Amiens st? Or the flats on Poplar Row?
    There are run down areas nearby, for example some parts of Ballybough and Summerhill, but these aren't close enough to consider them part of Fairview.
    Maybe the property is listed as being in Fairview, but isn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I THINK ITS safe , the closer you get to donneycarrney, or howth road, the quieter it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SpankFish

"Flats around the corner?
    Yes it's called Fairview but that's a stretch, it's Ballybough really"

Yeah the adress is Ritchmond Road and the bridge that leads over towards the corpro. flats is just a short five minute from the house. According to the map it's near "Fairview Mew's" and "Fairview Lawns" if that's any inclination of help of the area's location. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

SpankFish wrote: »
    "Flats around the corner?
    Yes it's called Fairview but that's a stretch, it's Ballybough really"

Yeah the adress is Ritchmond Road and the bridge that leads over towards the corpro. flats is just a short five minute from the house. According to the map it's near "Fairview Mew's" and "Fairview Lawns" if that's any inclination of help of the area's location. :P

Well that is not a terrible area but it's more like 'only a 5 minute walk from Fairview' than actual Fairview.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭cson

Hmmm in fairness, I wouldn't say that every possible amenity is on your doorstep. For a start, there isn't a decent supermarket within reasonable walking distance, where you could do a good big weekly shop.

Aldi opening on the East Wall would only be 20mins walk from there. Alternatively you could get the 123 from the bottom of the Richmond Rd which would bring you right into O'Connell St/Parnell St where you've literally every big multiple in the country.
    There's a crappy tiny little Tesco, and the overpriced Centra, and that's it really.

That Tesco is crap and overpriced granted; but that Centra is the best I've come across in the country. Cracking value and deals there all the time - 6 medium eggs for €1 beats anything Tesco/Aldi/Lidl can do.

Canters and Kennedys across from the aforementioned Centra are two very good restaurants. Add to this that Flaming Wok in that area is probably the best Chinese you'll get outside of Parnell St.

And don't forget about Gaffneys. One of the finest pubs in Dublin! Worth moving to Fairview just for that. :)

Advertisement