Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get cheap training?

Options
  • 09-03-2013 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Im looking at a career change. I was told if I got myself an A+ and N+ it would get me my foot in the door with a company and from there I could add more certificates and build up real world experience and start moving up the ladder to a well paying job. Sounds great.

However I do some googling to see who does this training, New Horizons will charges just over 3000euro for the 2 A+ courses alone. Then the exams fees that puts the overall thing up to near 3500 for just the A+. Then all that again for the N+ thats 7000euro.

I see FAS do some courses for the unemployed- but even if I was unemployed my local FAS doesnt do them. Id have to relocate which isnt really an option as Id be leaving a young family.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Hopsin wrote: »
    Im looking at a career change. I was told if I got myself an A+ and N+ it would get me my foot in the door with a company and from there I could add more certificates and build up real world experience and start moving up the ladder to a well paying job. Sounds great.

However I do some googling to see who does this training, New Horizons will charges just over 3000euro for the 2 A+ courses alone. Then the exams fees that puts the overall thing up to near 3500 for just the A+. Then all that again for the N+ thats 7000euro.

I see FAS do some courses for the unemployed- but even if I was unemployed my local FAS doesnt do them. Id have to relocate which isnt really an option as Id be leaving a young family.

http://www.cbtnuggets.com/subscriptions/it

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Hopsin

Ive being watching some professor messer for his A+ but Im just not the type that can sit at home and study.

Id like to be able to go to an actual class with a tutor type scenario... thanks for the advice anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Ive being watching some professor messer for his A+ but Im just not the type that can sit at home and study.

This is going to be a problem for you in the future, pal. All IT certification exams require study at home, some require a lot. No course will ever teach you everything you need to pass any exam.

This is going to be a problem for you in the future, pal. All IT certification exams require study at home, some require a lot. No course will ever teach you everything you need to pass any exam.

+1 , this is not just something that you can do and then "become certified" ... thats not really how it works.

A career in IT is constant self learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Hopsin

iRock wrote: »
    +1 , this is not just something that you can do and then "become certified" ... thats not really how it works.

A career in IT is constant self learning.

Yeh but with some other areas in IT, its not so much theory and a bit more hands on.

Like with A+ for example Im here trying to learn about the the Pentium 1, 2, 3, 4 what years they were released, what speeds they were, what the differences are, what instruction sets they use, what cache was on them, what sockets they use. And then of course, once I have that of Im going to be starting on AMD processors.

The stuff is just not sinking in. I'll remember it now, but then ask me in a week, "hey, how much L2 cache was on that pentium pro when it was released" and my mind just comes to a blank.

• Advertisement

The stuff is just not sinking in. I'll remember it now, but then ask me in a week, "hey, how much L2 cache was on that pentium pro when it was released" and my mind just comes to a blank.

Personally, that information has little to no value day to day.

I have to learn alot of command sequences that sometimes don't make sense, usually in relation to some corner case.

I use this - http://ankisrs.net/
    Make your own flashcards and sync them across devices.
    I'm told this works too - http://www.supermemo.com/articles/paper.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Look at the job specifications on the various sites, it's rare that A+/N+ are mentioned. They are entry level certifications and will show that you know the basics.

Utilise Professor Messer's videos on A+/N+ and Microsoft 70-680 along with relevant books to the topics and then sit the exam. Don't waste money on courses that you will later regret due to the lack of industry appreciation for them (and rightly so).

As others have stated, self study/teaching is a huge part of IT through watching video, reading books/articles/blogs or hands on experience using virtual machines or physical hardware.

7k spent on IT training courses could go a long way to getting you a VCP/MCSA/CCNA and probably more. Those are the certs that employers will look for.

Advertisement