Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the medical card cover the cost of Vitamin pills ?

Options
  • 09-03-2013 2:23am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if the medical card will cover the cost of vitamin pills ?

I'm deficient in b12 and vitamin d if I dont take these vitamins I will get very sick at some point.

Does the medical card only cover pharmaceutical medication ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Jumboman wrote: »
    Just wondering if the medical card will cover the cost of vitamin pills ?

I'm deficient in b12 and vitamin d if I dont take these vitamins I will get very sick at some point.

Does the medical card only cover pharmaceutical medication ?

From here

Certain items that can be bought over the counter are excluded from the schemes. Examples of such products are some painkillers, such as Panadol, Disprin, Solpadeine and Nurofen, vitamin supplements and products for the treatment of baldness.

So it looks like it doesn't.

hth

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

If the doctor prescribes it, the medical card covers it. (as far as I know)

B12 is definitely available on prescription, not so sure about Vitamin D. But vitamin d is also quite cheap; if you go to Holland and Barrett you can get a six month supply for €13.50 which is only slightly more per month than the prescription medicine charge.
    Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

My father had a medical card and has osteoarthritis. He gets Vitamin D and Calcium tablets on prescription. If its related to a medical condition, a doctor can prescribe them. It's different where you have a relatively healthy person going in asking for multivitamins for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scoob70

Doctor says my Vitamin D is too low and got 3 months supply on prescription on medical card yesterday with a repeat prescription for another 3 months after that. Not sure about other vitamins though. I'd guess if the docs prescribed them then they will be.

Advertisement