Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to sue for cost of education?

Options
  • 08-03-2013 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

So, here's a hypothetical question.

Imagine a student was in a car accident. They were hurt so much that it meant they could not attend University or study. This was leading up to exams - so no study before exams and they were in pain during the exams.

This had a negative effect on the students grades. Suppose that because of this negative effect the student was unable to go straight on to do their post grad where entry is based on second year results. Before the accident everything suggested that the grades were going to be high enough and the grades were at a high enough level once they recovered from the accident.

Their options were:
    A) Take a year out and hope they are eligible based on third year results.

B) Do an in between post grad - this is the only way of guaranteeing a place on the post grad they are aiming for.

If the student goes for option A or B then they would have to find living costs for an extra year.

With option B the student will loose all further financial support after the in between post grad.

So they would have to pay living costs of approx 9,000 for the in between post grad. They would then also have to pay the fees for the post grad they are aiming for (which would otherwise have been funded). That's a further 12,000 minimum.

So the student will be down €21,000.

The reason I included living costs for one year is because I wold be in the job market and either earning a wage or be entitled to the dole if I didn't have to spend the extra year in education.

Could the student sue (as part of an injury claim) for that €21,000 or does he just have to suck it up.

I'm sure that student has a solicitor who they will ask the next time they see them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement