Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frog Spawn: How to give it best chance?

Options
  • 08-03-2013 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hello All,

I'm hoping I'll get someone who knows about frogs and frogspawn. I found a dead frog in a small puddle at the side of the road in Dublin today. The frog appeared to have been squashed somewhat under the tyres of a car or something.

Beside the frog was a clump of frogspawn. I don't know if it had been spawning in this puddle or if the spawn had been squeezed out of it, so to speak. the spawn has no future in this place so I took it home and it is currently in a basin of water in my back yard.

The spawn looks viable enough. I'm just wondering what I should do with it in order to give it the best chance possible. I'm thinking maybe i should keep it until they start to hatch and then bring them to a pond. But I'm wondering if there are certain conditions which I need to maintain in terms of water temperature etc. Anyone out there know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

bring to a pond and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Malpaisian

Corkbah wrote: »
    bring to a pond and hope for the best.

Just wondering, do you know much about frogs and frogspawn?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

only what I remember from basics of biology and a few flashbacks to my days as a child.

however there are legalities around frogspawn and frogs (ie. not allowed to move them ...something about conservation etc etc)

this might help http://www.ypte.org.uk/animal/care-of-frogspawn-and-tadpoles/28

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Malpaisian

Yeah. I was aware of the legalities but this spawn was in a puddle in a very small pothole next to the kerb at the side of a busy road. The mother had been squashed by a car. There was no future for them where they were. So law or no law, as far as I'm concerned, they had to be moved to have any chance. Cheers for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Hi, if female was making her way to a pond she most likely had not met up with a male. He holds on tight 'till she spawns then fertilises the eggs externally. Amplexus! So you could have a bunch of 'dud' eggs. Regards, Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Corkbah wrote: »
    only what I remember from basics of biology and a few flashbacks to my days as a child.

however there are legalities around frogspawn and frogs (ie. not allowed to move them ...something about conservation etc etc)

this might help http://www.ypte.org.uk/animal/care-of-frogspawn-and-tadpoles/28
    here we go again!! the law professionals!!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Maudi wrote: »
    here we go again!! the law professionals!!

Please discuss the topic at hand, posts of this manner are not welcome in here.

Advertisement