Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best way to go from Dublin to Cork

Options
  • 08-03-2013 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hello,

Next week I have an interview for a job in Cork. I live in Leixlip, so I have to go from Dublin to Cork by train or bus. What is the best to do it? I was on www.irishrail.ie but they don't give me clear information. I think the bus is the best way?

Theresia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Theresia wrote: »
    Hello,

Next week I have an interview for a job in Cork. I live in Leixlip, so I have to go from Dublin to Cork by train or bus. What is the best to do it? I was on www.irishrail.ie but they don't give me clear information. I think the bus is the best way?

Theresia

You can get greatdeals on bus but for interview I'd take train for comfort. Internet book now and you might get good deal. I think air coach and bus eireann both do it for about ten euroso you wont beat that on train but you'll feel much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

IBbk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The train is a shorter journey, and would be more comfortable allowing you to collect some thoughts before the interview and relax but since you left it so late to book it's woefully expensive at €32.99 each way while the bus is €23 return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Richard Logue

Hello,

Theresia

If you take the train option I'd get the 66 from Leixlip direct to Heuston then catch the train from there or if bus get a train to Connolly or Tara St and catch a bus from town. Train will be more relaxing in my opinion but whatever option you choose allow more than enough time to get to Cork!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yup BK is here :)

IMO the bus is the best option.

Aircoach €18 return, takes 3 hours from O'Connell St.
    Or gobe €22 return from BusAras (they have newer coaches and guaranteed toilet on board and are typically much quieter then Aircoach).

Train will cost between €43 or more depending when you book. 2h30min from Hueston, about 2h50min from O'Connell St.

IMO The bus is much more comfortable option. It is much quieter then the train and has a much smoother ride then the train, with reclining seats. I find you can sleep on the bus.

In fairness the advantage of the train is that you can get up and walk around, it is guaranteed to have a table (some buses do, some don't) and you can buy tea/coffee/food on board.

Either are a good option, but the bus is much cheaper. In either case for a job interview I'd give yourself plenty of time to arrive before the interview. Either can suffer from break downs or other delays, so give yourself plenty of time for peace of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

Bring your passport

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

The train is the best, but the most expensive. Very expensive, in fact.

The bus is much cheaper. Much less comfortable though, I'd have to disagree with bok. Aircoach service is good and reliable, but noisy and usually busy. If you're stuck next to some fat smelly person or stuck in the middle of a group of skangers there is no escape. At least on the train you can move to a quieter part. Being stuck in front of some noisy ****ers for 3 hours is no fun (they have to shout over the noise of the bus to even converse). The driver often has the radio or worse on, which is often very loud, they will turn it down a bit if you ask though (never asked myself, but have seen others do so).

I can't vouch for the Bus Éireann service, but I believe this stops along the way? Aircoach is non stop most of the time (sometimes they stop halfway down, unnecessary imo).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you want a quieter bus journey, go with gobe, €4 more expensive then Aircoach, but they are much quieter. You are likely to get a seat on your own with GoBE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Richard Logue

bk wrote: »
    If you want a quieter bus journey, go with gobe, €4 more expensive then Aircoach, but they are much quieter. You are likely to get a seat on your own with GoBE.

When you say quieter than Aircoach what goes on during an Aircoach journey?

When you say quieter than Aircoach what goes on during an Aircoach journey?

Nothing, Aircoach is very quiet too in terms of noise in my experience. Much quieter then the train, which is much noisier from track noise and announcements.

What I meant by "quieter" is that GoBE services have a lot less passengers IME.

IME most Aircoach services are 70 to 80% full, while most GoBE services are more about 40 to 50% full.

So with GoBE you are much more likely to get a seat on your own, if that matters to you, while still being much cheaper then the train.

One other advantage of the bus, you don't have to deal with any beer swelling golden pass holders. No offence to OAP's or people with genuine disabilities, I'm talking about the the drug using scumbags who use the golden pass to go up and down the country carrying out "business". I haven't seen any of these sort of people on GoBE/Aircoach, which is a big relief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

bk wrote: »
    Nothing, Aircoach is very quiet too in terms of noise in my experience. Much quieter then the train,

One other advantage of the bus, you don't have to deal with any beer swelling golden pass holders. .
    Just take the bus, its cheaper and now much quicker with the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Do you know where in cork you're going ? The city centre isn't huge but it'll still take you a bit to walk across town, or even get the bus...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Hmm, should the title not have been Leixlip to Cork? Where in Leixlip are you travelling from?

66/A/B/X into Heuston and train from there is probably the quickest.

You could also go on the train from Confey/Louisa Bridge to Tara Station, or 66/A/B/X to D'Olier St., and walk up to Westmoreland St and get an Aircoach from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Theresia

Thanks a lot for all your replies! Yes, I have to go very early I think to become relax again from journey. To sit a few hours in a restaurant to clear my mind again. Lucky the interview is in citycenter Cork. Very close to the busstation.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Hmm, should the title not have been Leixlip to Cork? Where in Leixlip are you travelling from?

66/A/B/X into Heuston and train from there is probably the quickest.

You could also go on the train from Confey/Louisa Bridge to Tara Station, or 66/A/B/X to D'Olier St., and walk up to Westmoreland St and get an Aircoach from there.

Yeah, you are right, the title should be from Leixlip to Cork. It will be a long day for me. From Leixlip to Dublin is also half an hour by train.

Hi all,thank you once again for your posts here. I have had the interview and now waiting for the result which they will give me next week.

I went by Gobe bus which was very good. 22 Euro return ticket. The bus was only half full on way go back and just a few people in the morning on the way to Cork. It was a long way, but it was relaxed.

I went by Gobe bus which was very good. 22 Euro return ticket. The bus was only half full on way go back and just a few people in the morning on the way to Cork. It was a long way, but it was relaxed.

FYI GoBE are now offering tickets for €18 return weekdays.

Good luck with the job.

It is really cheap for such a long way and you see a lot of the country. I enjoyed the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

You would be a fool to take the train IMO. Yes its a slightly more comfortable ride but it doesnt justify the extra money IMO.

And the bus stops outside Heuston, so you don't have to go into town.

Worth noting.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The bus is great especially if you are going to Dublin airport, you'd have to factor in the guts of an extra hour and either €6/single or €10/return for the 747 airlink bus to get from the Airport to Heuston and you might end up perished waiting for the Airlink at the shack they have for a bus stop at the new Terminal 2.

Advertisement