Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook trackpad not working

Options
  • 08-03-2013 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Hopefully someone can help.

Mid 2010 (A1342) Macbook trackpad not working, the click worked ok but the mouse would not move. I replaced the trackpad and its the same symptom.

So not really sure what to do next?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

I've seen this on earlier laptops, check the battery out and see if it has swollen if so get it out and get it replaced that should sort it out.

N

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

nialler wrote: »
    I've seen this on earlier laptops, check the battery out and see if it has swollen if so get it out and get it replaced that should sort it out.

N

Ye after a fair bit of googling I saw that issue too, but I think it only affects earlier macbooks and I believe it affected the clicking of the trackpad the most where as my symptoms are the opposite and the battery looked fine to me when I took it out

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Talk to the chaps in CompuB, I recently got a keyboard replaced on a white macbook, through a recall from apple they replaced the entire top cover and screen surround so basically got back a new mac.

nialler wrote: »
    Talk to the chaps in CompuB, I recently got a keyboard replaced on a white macbook, through a recall from apple they replaced the entire top cover and screen surround so basically got back a new mac.

I actually bought it as faulty from adverts, I replaced the keyboard myself.

The original trackpad wasn't working before so I assumed it was faulty too, but the new one isn't working either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Check the connection into the motherboard of the trackpad.

I had it that when I left clicked, it would register as a right click on mine, took whole thing apart and shook it which seemed to loosen some dirt.

It worked then for a while and stopped again. I ran a thin needle in around the edge on the top to clean out the muck and it worked better than ever.

Mine was also bought second hand, same model.

• Advertisement

thebman wrote: »
    Check the connection into the motherboard of the trackpad.

I had it that when I left clicked, it would register as a right click on mine, took whole thing apart and shook it which seemed to loosen some dirt.

It worked then for a while and stopped again. I ran a thin needle in around the edge on the top to clean out the muck and it worked better than ever.

Mine was also bought second hand, same model.

Took it apart this morning and it was pretty clean, ran a needle between the connections as you suggested anyway and there was no dirt.

While it was apart I tried a known good trackpad (wife has same model) and same problem still not working. So definitely a motherboard issue although what I don't know! Think its time to cut my losses

bump:

anyone got any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

External USB mouse?

muggyog wrote: »
    External USB mouse?

Yes that works fine thanks, I'm actually trying to repair the trackpad!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

I suggest you are trying to repair a faulty motherboard so unless you are proficient in surface mounted component repair, I think you are going to have to stick to a USB mouse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement