Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

de-fog your windows...

Options
  • 08-03-2013 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

So after 6 weeks of trailing and 12 windows later, I am hitting the road!
    I don’t think I will be making millions but hope to make a sustainable business.

The business is a service to de-fog or demist windows, a cheaper alternative to replacing them
    This technology has not been seen in Ireland and is excellently.

The Process:
    Stage 1: Drill Unit.
    Two small holes (6mm) are drilled in the unit either in the glass or through the side spacer bars, the holes allow access to the internal air space and glass surfaces for stage two and three, special vents will be fitted over the holes.
    Stage 2: Coat Glass.
    The unit is then injected with a special Drying Agent that removes the moisture from the glass surfaces and also coats the glass with an anti-fog nano polymer, it is this unique and special coating that prevents the moisture in the air that passes through the unit condensing on the internal glass surfaces.
    Stage 3: Seal Unit.
    A special sealer is then injected into the unit to create a seal across the bottom of the unit, this seal prevents moisture ingress from the bottom rebate of the window and also prevents moisture building up in the bottom spacer bar of the unit.
    Stage 4: Vent.
    Special vents are fitted over the holes drilled in stage one, the vents control the amount of air that enters the unit and prevents water droplets from driving rain or window cleaning from entering the unit, the vents also stop insects, dust etc.

The unit is then left to vent any trapped moisture out of the unit, this we call the "drying out" period.
    The time it takes to dry out the unit varies from unit to unit and from area to area and is dependent on how much water is trapped in the unit, the size of the unit and the time of the year. Some units will clear within a few hours, some can take a few days and some have been known to take up to 12 weeks.
    During the drying out process water may be seen on the glass.
    After all the surplus moisture has been expelled, the unit will remain totally clear for many years.

The cost is €60 for 1 unit.

Please let me know yer thoughts and if anyone has foggy windows!!!!! Please pm me...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

You drill holes into the glass? How does that affect the integrity of the glass? Are their insurance implications by using your approach?

What safety standards have you for your product? I would have thought it would have taken more than 12 windscreens to fully test a product like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

TonyStark wrote: »
    You drill holes into the glass? How does that affect the integrity of the glass? Are their insurance implications by using your approach?

What safety standards have you for your product? I would have thought it would have taken more than 12 windscreens to fully test a product like this?

Its not windscreens, its household double glazing. Best of luck OP, have seen this done in a friends house, plenty of dodgy glass units fitted during the Celtic tiger ;-).

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

bizzyb wrote: »
    Its not windscreens, its household double glazing. Best of luck OP, have seen this done in a friends house, plenty of dodgy glass units fitted during the Celtic tiger ;-).

My bad, sounds like an economical solution at that! Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 galwaykev

Correct, 2 6mm holes are drilled into the glass.
    It doesn’t affect the integrity of the glass. And we have an independent study from a UK university that shows there is no affect on the thermal performance of the unit.
    There are no insurance implications.
    Its a process as opposed to a product. So I am not sure what standards you mean??

I have not invented this process. It has been in use in other countries for a number of years with great success.
    I have researched the product in detail and trained on it.

As for only 12 units done. I have to start some where... That will be 14 tomorrow..

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

galwaykev wrote: »
    Correct, 2 6mm holes are drilled into the glass.
    It doesn’t affect the integrity of the glass. And we have an independent study from a UK university that shows there is no affect on the thermal performance of the unit.
    There are no insurance implications.
    Its a process as opposed to a product. So I am not sure what standards you mean??

I have not invented this process. It has been in use in other countries for a number of years with great success.
    I have researched the product in detail and trained on it.

As for only 12 units done. I have to start some where... That will be 14 tomorrow..

Good luck, Kev. And after tomorrow 16..... well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

galwaykev wrote: »
    And we have an independent study from a UK university that shows there is no affect on the thermal performance of the unit.

Thats utter rubbish if you have an air flow between the 'air sandwich' and the outside world. In fact if the air gap is filled with anything other than air then your completely un-doing any thermal property as different gases have different thermal properties.

Good quality windows won't fog between the panels under any circumstances so your basically just 'dolling up' a poor quality window. A poor quality window will have poor thermal properties to start with, hence a study wouldn't see any change. If your going to destroy the complete principal of a double glass window, you may as well insert some silica gel and seal with silicon. Will have the same affect.

Please quote your study.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

I have roughly 15 windows in my home, 2 of these windows build up condensation on a frosty or cold night. Next morning I have to dry the inside of the glass.
    I replaced the glass, to check was the orig glass faulty and still no joy. Same problem.
    This does not happen on the other 13 windows in my house, they are clear and see through every morning no matter what weather.

Coincidently these two condensation windows are in two rooms side by side on the North/West side of my house.

I have been told by numerous engineers, window manufacturers, thermal and insulation firms that I have a dampness issue rather then a glass issue.

On each of my windows I have 3 individual panes of glass (main window, small door type window to one side and above this the normal air inlet window)
    Is it €60 for each pane of glass or for a whole window?
    Also what is the process if the service you provide me fails? Refund fee?
    Also whats the story if you made my condensation issue worse then it already is.

Would it not make more sense to use your nano technology product on the surface of the glass, that way the particles of water/condensation cannot stick to the glass and reflect and the glass stays "dry"
    I have studied nano technology for waterproofing properties.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Hunter21 wrote: »

I have been told by numerous engineers, window manufacturers, thermal and insulation firms that I have a dampness issue rather then a glass issue.

Is that not the solution to your problem then, ventilation of the room? Have you vented the rooms in question. The OP is talking about condensation inside the double glazing (where you can't wipe it off...).

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Is that not the solution to your problem then, ventilation of the room? Have you vented the rooms in question. The OP is talking about condensation inside the double glazing (where you can't wipe it off...).

My bad! I didnt take note of the piece where he said its for condensation in between panes of glass. I taught it was for the inside :o

Sorry for going off-topic.

But to answer your question Tabnabs;
    Few years ago we re-roofed the house as we suspected that we has porous felt. House was built in the 1980's and there was an issue with recalled felt products as they were not up to standard, we assumed we still had the faulty product- not to be.
    We vented the attic, we vented the rooms.
    Guttering was checked for leaks.
    Plumbing was checked for leaks.
    More insulation was pumped into the walls.
    As I said already, we changed the glass and rubber seals incase we had a faulty glass.

All that is left now is check for a bridging around the window where dampness can pass from outside to in.

Advertisement