Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pressure testing oil line

Options
  • 08-03-2013 2:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hello,im looking at equipment to test 10 mm copper oil line from oil tank to boiler.I can buy a dry line pressure test kit.It looks like a bicycle pump with a gauge.What i am wondering is can i get fitting and a pressure gauge etc in a plumbing shop and connect it up to a good quality footpump?, Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

pat35 wrote: »
    Hello,im looking at equipment to test 10 mm copper oil line from oil tank to boiler.I can buy a dry line pressure test kit.It looks like a bicycle pump with a gauge.What i am wondering is can i get fitting and a pressure gauge etc in a plumbing shop and connect it up to a good quality footpump?, Thanks

Everything you need they will have in your local plumbers merchants the only prob you might have is the connection for the foot pump most lads would test with a compressor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Robbie.G wrote: »

Everything you need they will have in your local plumbers merchants the only prob you might have is the connection for the foot pump most lads would test with a compressor
    I would air on the side of caution with a compressor unless the pipework was blanked & capped on the boiler side.
    Test procedure for oil lines is 1 bar pressure for 15mins so a hand pump is best.
    There is a specific tool for the job but it is a little saucy to say the least! I think I paid something like £120 sterling a few years ago! Very hand tool though as it goes straight onto a compression fitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

8mm copper should fit into your foot pump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭pat35

Thanks guys,yes shane the dry line pressure test kit is around 150 euro plus shipping,expensive.what fittings etc do i need to get from plumbers merchants to make a test kit for hand pump or foot pump?

Thanks guys,yes shane the dry line pressure test kit is around 150 euro plus shipping,expensive.what fittings etc do i need to get from plumbers merchants to make a test kit for hand pump or foot pump?
    Pressure gauge
    10x15 mm 312
    1/2" 318
    1/2" 312 with bush for pressure gauge
    1/2" non return valve
    1/2" lever valve c/c
    1/2 x 8 mm 310
    Short piece of 8mm copper for pump
    And some 1/2" copper to join the fittings

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Dtp79 wrote: »
    Pressure gauge
    10x15 mm 312
    1/2" 318
    1/2" 312 with bush for pressure gauge
    1/2" non return valve
    1/2" lever valve c/c
    1/2 x 8 mm 310
    Short piece of 8mm copper for pump
    And some 1/2" copper to join the fittings

Just remember oil line is generally 10mm, so change 1/2" to 10mm & whatever transitional fitting you require for the pump.

shane0007 wrote: »

Just remember oil line is generally 10mm, so change 1/2" to 10mm & whatever transitional fitting you require for the pump.
    Well spotted Shane. My mistake. Second on my list should've been 310 not 312!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭pat35

Thanks guys i got that sorted

Advertisement