Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Donedeal Scam

Options
  • 07-03-2013 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

I know this was going on earlier in the year but its back again

Guy calls himself McCauley Anthony
    Email address r.moritz010@gmail.com

Trying to buy cars from donedeal BEWARE

Name: McCauley Anthony
    Address: 26 Moorfields
    City: London
    Postcode: EC2Y 9AL.

Hes trying to buy 4 cars from me emailing me about them now as i speak despite me telling him to bog off 3 months ago.

Even uses passport scan to show you hes trustworthy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

discodavie wrote: »

Even uses passport scan to show you hes trustworthy

I'd get that to the Gardai and CC the Passport Office. Passport misrepresenting / forgery is a pretty serious offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Post emails here and give us a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭discodavie

Already done.

Passport stolen and as he hasnt scammed me gardai have their hands tied:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

ironclaw wrote: »
    I'd get that to the Gardai and CC the Passport Office.
    discodavie wrote: »
    gardai have their hands tiedmad.png

Should it not be the UK authorities the OP should be following up with?....UK postal address

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭TheOldHand

Can we give up reporting on these "scams". I don't want to read about every 419er in peoples spam folder on after hours.

• Advertisement

Should it not be the UK authorities the OP should be following up with?....UK postal address

Been onto the uk police and trading standards but it appears from ip tracing that
    he/she/they are in ireland

TheOldHand wrote: »
    Can we give up reporting on these "scams". I don't want to read about every 419er in peoples spam folder on after hours.

This i not a click here to complete purchase for 419 the cars are 4000 and up so if they are targeting say 200 cars a day at 5000 and net 1% thats a grand a day, big big bucks.

It was the original email though that made me suspsious , very bad english for a supposed irishman but these days you have to chase every potential sale

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Post emails here and give us a laugh

Hello Good afternoon,

Thanks for your response as am interested in buying it.How long have you owned it? I do not want much bargain as I want you to give me your best price which you are willing to let it go because I am sure there would be many people who are interested with a good prices that is why I need your best price.Also, I want to know when last was it serviced? Was it for personal transportation or for rental purpose as I want to know how often you have used it and any condition like minor fault on it which you have not posted on the advert site. P.S: Do not forget to write me back the best price you are willing to let it go as I want to buy it now.

Await your swift response.

Thanks, Anthony.

After a bit of banter

I want to know the amount you are willing to let it go as I am ready to give you a good offer as am sure there must be many offers you must have received

Thennnnnn

Hello,

Thanks for your swift response as I'm quite satisfied with the condition as am Okay with the price of 3,500 EUR using PayPal and about the delivery have already contacted a shipper coming for the collection of it once payment has been confirmed by PayPal... I will not be able to view it due to my nature of work as am a full time worker. A shipping company will be coming for the pickup after payment has been made and will sign all papers on my behalf which is needed for the Purchase.

And so on

He sounds like a paypal salesman in this one....

Hello,

I insisted on paypal because it is secured in a way you do not litter you bank information to websites nor online market. I have my bank a/c attached to it,It is fast because funds are transferred in real time, and secure because all of your banking and personal details are not exposed but as you can attach your bank details to the paypal account which you will transfer the funds to your bank account from your paypal account easily. i will need you to give me your paypal email address so i can make the payment asap and pls if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get it set up , after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through.Kindly be informed also I will be responsible for the transfer commission charged by PayPal to send the money. Attached in this email is my ID Card which I will also like you to send me yours (if you have) when sending the payment details.

PayPal is an online banking solution that has the ability to transfer fund in a fast and secure manner which you are to attach your Bank Account to it so funds can be credited to your Bank Account directly. It is fast because funds are transferred in real time, and secure because all of your banking and personal details are not exposed. When transacting using PayPal, all you have to provide is your PayPal details instead of your bank details. After your money has been sent, PayPal will verify the transaction and immediately credit it to your Bank account and you can already start playing. Paying with your bank-account is safe as your bank-details will not be shared with the receiver. All you have to do is to register with them at www.paypal.com and you are good to go. I can make the payment with my Online Account with the Royal Bank if you insist on Bank paymen

Anthony.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Only yesterday I put up an advert on gumtree, and 5 minutes later I received a question through email.
    Could you please let me know how much you want to sell this for ?

Regards]

I answered that listed price is final price.

15 minutes later I got a reply:
    2013/3/7 Alex Daniel <alexdaniel682@ymail.com>
    Thanks for your quick response,Ok just wanted to make sure nothing is been left out. i was introduced to this site by a friend at work. I am well satisfied with the description on your ad,I will be buying this for the price you have listed it for.Though i will not be able to make cash payment due to my tight schedule. But am ready to make paypal as my method of paying, Send your PayPal email address to me so I can pay you and proceed with the transaction,I am using only PayPal. This is because PayPal is the most secured and safest way to transact online. I will arrange with someone to have this picked up from your location once i have paid.In the meantime, can you send me more pictures (if available)? I hope to read from you soon.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

CiniO wrote: »

15 minutes later I got a reply:

By the end of that i was reading it in my head in "Apu's" voice for some reason:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

This clown is emailing me now.

Obviously I'm not going to fall for it but how does he hope it goes?

He pays me in PayPal, I give the car to his exporter guy and then how does he get the cash back out of PayPal?

Just wondering...
    Like I said I'm not going to go along with it (well I will play him along for a while)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭johnnydeep

do they email you some sort of fake paypal receipt. I like to string these ****ers out for as long as possible. they keep asking you best price and I keep saying how much will you give me. they cant remember how much you were looking as they send out so many. just trying to wreck their heads. told the last one my car was 2006 and that I had it ten years and only used it for dogging and kerb crawling. they still wanted to know best price

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Has anyone ever agreed to the sale to see what happens?

Obviously don't hand over your car but just to see the rest of it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Where's the scam?

If the money clears, give him the car. If not, don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

johnnydeep wrote: »
    do they email you some sort of fake paypal receipt. I like to string these ****ers out for as long as possible. they keep asking you best price and I keep saying how much will you give me. they cant remember how much you were looking as they send out so many. just trying to wreck their heads. told the last one my car was 2006 and that I had it ten years and only used it for dogging and kerb crawling. they still wanted to know best price

Johnny ,I think we may have crawled in the same neighbourhoods, yes the more I think of it , nice 06 yoke. and the price?

Rugbyman
    (surely i cant get banned for humour?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

They send a fake email "from paypal" saying the payment has been made.
    You then think you've got the money and you send the car.
    Voila, no money in the account, and no car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Morale here lads...cash is king!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Prodigious wrote: »
    They send a fake email "from paypal" saying the payment has been made.
    You then think you've got the money and you send the car.
    Voila, no money in the account, and no car.

You'd want to be a serious idiot to fall for that. What reasonable person wouldn't check their paypal account and transfer the money to their bank account straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Where's the scam?

If the money clears, give him the car. If not, don't.

These fellas would love you

There are plenty of ways to scam using Paypal tbh
    1 - they send you an email saying money has been sent but due to new security measures it will not be credited until you send the tracking info. So you send the item, email the tracking info, then check Paypal and there is NO money in your account. You call Paypal who tells you they never emailed you, there was no transaction and they NEVER ask for tracking info before crediting your account
    2 - they send you money from a hacked Paypal account, you ship the item, then the real account holder discovers the theft, reports it to Paypal and the money is refunded from your account
    3 - they send you a fake Paypal email saying money has been sent but you have to click on a link to verify the transaction - which leads you to a fake but real looking Paypal log-in page that you log into -- and you just got your account hacked
    4 - they send you money from a real Paypal account, ask you to ship to a certain address, then file a chargeback. If you did not check with Paypal that the address they gave you was the "verified" address and you sent anywhere but the verified address, they claim they never received the item and Paypal refunds them. It doesn't matter if you have proof it was delivered to the other address along with an email from the buyer telling you to ship to that address. If you ship anywhere but the verified Paypal mailing address, you have NO protection and Paypal will always side with the buyer

• Registered Users Posts: 23,424 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They will not collect the car, its a phishing scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

ted1 wrote: »
    They will not collect the car, its a phishing scam.

Just to keep us all safe what information would the have on you if you gave a paypal account and e-mail? What damage could they then do? Genuine question.

Its a pity they dont try to collect car, it would be fun leading them on a magical mystery tour of the country to piss them off. I love having fun with scammers by email, this would be a great one

• Advertisement

bmwguy wrote: »
    Just to keep us all safe what information would the have on you if you gave a paypal account and e-mail? What damage could they then do? Genuine question.

Its a pity they dont try to collect car, it would be fun leading them on a magical mystery tour of the country to piss them off. I love having fun with scammers by email, this would be a great one

They would send you Phishing emails/false links to a site with a keylogger in order to gain access to your account in order to use it as a vehicle for a bigger scam.

These fellas would love you

There are plenty of ways to scam using Paypal tbh
    1 - they send you an email saying money has been sent but due to new security measures it will not be credited until you send the tracking info. So you send the item, email the tracking info, then check Paypal and there is NO money in your account. You call Paypal who tells you they never emailed you, there was no transaction and they NEVER ask for tracking info before crediting your account
    2 - they send you money from a hacked Paypal account, you ship the item, then the real account holder discovers the theft, reports it to Paypal and the money is refunded from your account
    3 - they send you a fake Paypal email saying money has been sent but you have to click on a link to verify the transaction - which leads you to a fake but real looking Paypal log-in page that you log into -- and you just got your account hacked
    4 - they send you money from a real Paypal account, ask you to ship to a certain address, then file a chargeback. If you did not check with Paypal that the address they gave you was the "verified" address and you sent anywhere but the verified address, they claim they never received the item and Paypal refunds them. It doesn't matter if you have proof it was delivered to the other address along with an email from the buyer telling you to ship to that address. If you ship anywhere but the verified Paypal mailing address, you have NO protection and Paypal will always side with the buyer

"These fellas would love you"... that's assuming I'd be stupid enough to fall for 1, 3 or 4.

Scenario 2 is highly unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

"These fellas would love you"... that's assuming I'd be stupid enough to fall for 1, 3 or 4.

Why do you still see spam emails in general? - Because some people fall for them! While I'd argue the exact mechanics of how PayPal scams work if someone sends out enough emails trying to con sellers then they'll get a few that will fall for it.

People always have blind spots and sweet spots for some things so even a cautious person can be caught be a suitably crafted scam that to others is very obvious.

Its just a numbers game.

Only way really to fight it is to make the scam more well known. So far we don't really know how this one works exactly.

Number 2 in the list is exactly how some PayPal scams work, a hacked PayPal account looks genuine and you see the money in your account but ultimately PayPal can take it back. So some sellers might be targeted for goods and some for PayPal account passwords. May not be an ideal scam method for getting a car but then thats all part of the crafting of a good scam, your watching out for something you think can't happen and in the meantime login to what you think is your PayPal account and the scammer gets your password because he's tricked you into putting your details into a false PayPal site.

Scenario 2 is one of the more likely to happen actually and the easiest to pull off on a person who has done their homework.

They phish and gain access to a donor paypal account, they then put something up on ebay or the like for equal value of your car gain payment (they obviously don't have this item) take the money and you get paid by the same account. Only for the Original person who bought the ficticious item to request their funds back (which they will) and get your money while your car is gone never to be seen again.

But hey 5 minutes before i posted you weren't aware of these "stupid" scams :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

It's technically the most likely. Stolen credit card, set up a PayPal account. Voila. Or you can go online and buy login details for PayPal accounts. It's actually extremely easy such is the technical world we live in and the stupid people that use it.

ironclaw wrote: »
    It's technically the most likely. Stolen credit card, set up a PayPal account. Voila. Or you can go online and buy login details for PayPal accounts. It's actually extremely easy such is the technical world we live in and the stupid people that use it.

Also it's the least confrontational and the easiest for a coward to carry out

But hey 5 minutes before i posted you weren't aware of these "stupid" scams :p

You assume too much about me. How do you know what I am or am not aware of?

If Scenario 2 happens there's **** all you can do about it. Point is it's as likely to happen from a suspicious buyer as it is a seemingly genuine buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Donedeal is riddled with the scammers,which most are nigerians living in uk or even be pretending to live there,also locals can easily do that (not to be racist or anything)
    Last two times ive put in an ad in the donedeal,it was written off car,straight away i get message,id like to buy it bla bla bla other crap,due to circumstances cant reply by txt or call so email me to fdffsd@gmail.com :pac:
    whats sort of clown txt you and insists he cant respond back by txt only email.
    Other new scam is you get missed call,that might be completely random numbers leading to some country,once you try ringing back it hooks you up to pay line that can charge 10e per minute or so,might be little damage to payg customers but if you are on bill pay you might get stung badly,as number might appear quite genuine but will drain money like a hover on your bill pay.
    Same goes for buying stuff if your looking at cars etc and it has only email,straight away 99% its a scam.
    Most people have common sense when it comes to such things,but some farmer or person who knows how to barely use pc or internet itself can get stung easily,and it does happen more often then one thinks as millions flow every year to these scammers,as theu use broad worldwide scale and yet end up luring someone into their traps.Plenty of documentaries how these people make living out of it in UK with as little information as possible,some go garbage hunting from companies that throw away peoples data and once that gets into hands of someone who knows how to forge fake passport id,its matter of time when they make up fake bills with Photoshop to go buying stuff where they offer get it now repay monthly.The mast is huge in this business,and they adapt fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭harg90

Hes right tho, they would love you, your a freaking idiot. no offence :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭harg90

You assume too much about me. How do you know what I am or am not aware of?

If Scenario 2 happens there's **** all you can do about it. Point is it's as likely to happen from a suspicious buyer as it is a seemingly genuine buyer.

ha ya i agree with you, most people on here are asuming you have more than two braincells, however im not so sure..

to be honest it looks more like your trying to defend these scammers,

maybe you know the scammer..

maybe you are the scammer..

maybe your favourite method is No.2..

or maybe your just a dope :L

no offence :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement