Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Welsh, what the hell is going on here

Options
  • 07-03-2013 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭

Haven't seen this posted about here yet. Basically London Welsh are looking at having some points deducted for some 'irregularities' in registering their scrum half.
    It reads something like a bad Tom Clancy novel.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_8546432,00.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Reading a London Welsh forum about it, posters there seem to think that the club were treated leniently.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Well that's a bit of a cluster****. I had heard the gist of the story - he was registered as EQ but didn't get his ancestry visa til later in the season. I had no idea there was false passports and such conspiracy involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Approaching Bloodgate levels of incompetence alright.

Rather regretting not taking a punt on them getting relegated when they were at 33/1 now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

P_1 wrote: »
    Approaching Bloodgate levels of incompetence alright.

Rather regretting not taking a punt on them getting relegated when they were at 33/1 now

I had been regretting not taking a punt on them to stay up at the start of the season which I thought they had a decent chance of. Less bothered now obviously.

There is no guarantee of anything, but with their recent form they'll struggle to stay up now. I imagine further legal wrangling would ensue if Sale faced relegation.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Letting one person in charge of something like this is asking for a trouble.

I feel a bit sorry for the club who obviously trusted Scott but a professional club has to have better accountability standards than what is shown here.

Anyway London Welsh have confirmed that they will appeal the decision.

Edit: Section 25 is my favourite part. Not only should Tyson Keats have been ineligible for selection, he wasn't even allowed to work in the UK! :pac:

Letting one person in charge of something like this is asking for a trouble.

I feel a bit sorry for the club who obviously trusted Scott but a professional club has to have better accountability standards than what is shown here.

Anyway London Welsh have confirmed that they will appeal the decision.

Edit: Section 25 is my favourite part. Not only should Tyson Keats have been ineligible for selection, he wasn't even allowed to work in the UK! :pac:

I can't see what defense they'd have to be fair other than 'we were conned, why punish us any more'

P_1 wrote: »
    I can't see what defense they'd have to be fair other than 'we were conned, why punish us any more'

Any important documentation (passports are up there in terms of importance!) should need signatures from two figures of authority at the club, that would prevent a lot of fraud/infidelity. They're the type of best practice standards that any commercial body should implement. That's common sense I would have thought?

• Advertisement

Any important documentation (passports are up there in terms of importance!) should need signatures from two figures of authority at the club, that would prevent a lot of fraud/infidelity. They're the type of best practice standards that any commercial body should implement. That's common sense I would have thought?

I would think the same tbh, checks and balances and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Tyson Keats went to my school, few years after me. I remember playing his brother once, and it was the dirtiest game I've ever played in, kicking & punching and all that with an ineffectual ref. So I'm not surprised there have been underhand tactics here. Actually forging a passport is not underhand, it's criminal I imagine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Swiwi wrote: »
    Tyson Keats went to my school, few years after me. I remember playing his brother once, and it was the dirtiest game I've ever played in, kicking & punching and all that with an ineffectual ref. So I'm not surprised there have been underhand tactics here. Actually forging a passport is not underhand, it's criminal I imagine.

Jesus, talk about making a leap! :rolleyes:

Zzippy wrote: »
    Jesus, talk about making a leap! :rolleyes:

As we say in NZ, once a Keats, always a Keats.

How did Scott get away with only a caution from police? Seems amazing given what he did!

The story is summed up here: http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_8546432,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Christ didn't realize it was that bad, gutted for their fans

How did they get away with forging a passport

All I can reply to this is poor Steffon Armitage if anyone who played against Delon thinks like this! :D

All I can reply to this is poor Steffon Armitage.

Just seen the edit

How did Steffon get dragged into this

Read the thread and you'll understand Thomond's post. Brotherhood and all that.

Read the thread and you'll understand Thomond's post. Brotherhood and all that.

Read my edit

• Advertisement

Read my edit

Settle down, I've read it!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

As we say in NZ, once a Keats, always a Keats.

Poetic justice.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21718042

RFU bans former London Welsh official Mike Scott from rugby for life.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21718042

RFU bans former London Welsh official Mike Scott from rugby for life.

Good to see that, how he got to be in such a position of power is another matter though

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

is keats still at welsh????

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

dont know if its been posted elsewhere but seems welsh are thinking of appealing there points deduction to CAS

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12331/8601633/London-Welsh-could-still-take-their-points-deduction-appeal-further

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Their lawyers must be in heaven!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It was brought up in parliament yesterday I believe.

As was the fact they receive £2 million less than all the other clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Last time i saw a Mike Scott screw up this badly i was watching The Office.

• Advertisement
Advertisement