Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Tax Consensus

Options
  • 07-03-2013 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭

So trying to come up with a valuation for your house for this tax is going to be tricky.

It may be that the biggest divide in the payment of this tax is not between those with large and small properties but between those who value there house honestly and those who do not.

Sounds like a great quote doesn't it.

Revenue say this;

If you follow Revenue’s valuation guidelines honestly, Revenue will accept your property value assessment

That is in there FAQ's as a response to ;

What if my neighbour puts in a different value to mine?

Now i'm sure nobody wants to be the fool who values their house in a higher bracket to there neighbour, even though their houses are practically the same, and ends up paying an extra 90 euro per year.

So, in a case where your house and the houses of your neighbours should logically have similar market values, would it be a good idea to come up with a consensus for the value of your properties.

Simply put, if we all say our houses a worth X amount who is going to argue with us.

Thoughts please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

sully123 wrote: »
    So trying to come up with a valuation for your house for this tax is going to be tricky.

It may be that the biggest divide in the payment of this tax is not between those with large and small properties but between those who value there house honestly and those who do not.

Sounds like a great quote doesn't it.

Revenue say this;

If you follow Revenue’s valuation guidelines honestly, Revenue will accept your property value assessment

That is in there FAQ's as a response to ;

What if my neighbour puts in a different value to mine?

Now i'm sure nobody wants to be the fool who values their house in a higher bracket to there neighbour, even though their houses are practically the same, and ends up paying an extra 90 euro per year.

So, in a case where your house and the houses of your neighbours should logically have similar market values, would it be a good idea to come up with a consensus for the value of your properties.

Simply put, if we all say our houses a worth X amount who is going to argue with us.

Thoughts please.

That's all well and good until the first poor fecker sells a house at its real value, sets off alarm bells and gets fleeced. Which then logically draws attention to the whole neighbourhood...

So yeah it's a good idea for neighbours to come up with a consensus, as long as its not to all conspire to understate the liability, unless no-one is ever going to sell or die.

Advertisement