Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a upright full size cab for new mame project

Options
  • 07-03-2013 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

hello to everyone,this is my first post in arcade and retro, I am on the (long)way to make my first cab, many things with it are related to the stuff I'll be able to organise for a beginning,
    so for now I am looking for a full size upright cabinet in good condition, it could be a full working jamma cabinet or just the empty cab,
    preferable with perfect condition 26-27" screen, if I don't find any good screen I will use a CRT TV same size with VGA<->RGB lead, any help with pointing of some source of cabinet is very welcome problem is I am located in Kerry and as you may know is not so easy to find anything locally so delivery is required

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Contact the user Mitchomagic here, I can't say if he'll deliver to Kerry but he''s your man for cabs in general. Keithgeo also has some for sale on here too

loads of cabs on adverts at the mo,
    a 26" jamma will be massive!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Obecny

I am very close to have a deal with enrightseamus, for a http://www.adverts.ie/other-consoles-games/classic-atari-arcade-machine-for-sale-gauntlet/2682564, but the 25hz monitor and 49 position optical joysticks won't be to easy to adoption for PC, exactly same machine transformation was very well described here http://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=6.0

@no probs if your not tight on space,,
    that thing is a monster!
    gonna keep it 4 player?

urbanledge wrote: »
    @no probs if your not tight on space,,
    that thing is a monster!
    gonna keep it 4 player?

No problem with space at all,have no kids and dedicated room, if I'll buy a cab with 4 players c.panel I will keep it as 4 players, but two will be absolutely enough for me.

• Advertisement

Obecny wrote: »
    I am very close to have a deal with enrightseamus, for a http://www.adverts.ie/other-consoles-games/classic-atari-arcade-machine-for-sale-gauntlet/2682564, but the 25hz monitor and 49 position optical joysticks won't be to easy to adoption for PC, exactly same machine transformation was very well described here http://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=6.0

With all due respect to the seller, its very pricey for a cab with a non working game. Its also not the prettiest. At that money your most of the way there for a Candy cab...

gotta agree with enter now!
    save your money,the thing is a pig !

EnterNow wrote: »
    With all due respect to the seller, its very pricey for a cab with a non working game. Its also not the prettiest. At that money your most of the way there for a Candy cab...

Candy cab not reminding me my childhood at all this is main thing and have actually no idea what it is except my quick look at the google image search, first I would say - "UGLY" :) but if you saying is worth to have a look I am open for any wise voices

Whats your budget?
    do you need to get a pc or do you have one?
    I'd recommend a silver line as a starter cab!

Whats your budget?
    do you need to get a pc or do you have one?
    I'd recommend a silver line as a starter cab!

Budget is wide open as i have it as a long term project, would be happy to finish it at the end of the year, lets say the 1K at the end of project,wish to start with the cab, no rush as I am more in building the machine than games playing, have no problems with pc hardware, wiring, software config and all that stuff, a bigger woodwork could be a problem but will manege to make my own control panel if there will be a need for it :) Have few PC's parts lying around so this is not a problem, probably will put there some i3.

Anyone here can say something about importing machine from UK ? any experience with courier which are able to pick up a full size machine from uk and drop it here, I've found a nice and cheap machine there,a guy there trying to organise a shipping but this is a private person and things not going so well.

• Advertisement

Candy cab not reminding me my childhood at all this is main thing and have actually no idea what it is except my quick look at the google image search, first I would say - "UGLY" :) but if you saying is worth to have a look I am open for any wise voices

I know all about the feeling of Arcade nostalgia, I have four old type woodie cabs & no Candy - primarily because I never played Candies so they hold no nostalgic value for me. But €550 for a pig ugly Woodie cab with no working game is crazy money, the reason I compared it to Candy cabs is because they are seen as the Rolls Royce of cabs...& if a broken/ugly Woody is approaching the value of a Candy there's something wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Surely for 1K you could buy any selection of decent cabs ? Or a nice NeoGeo MVS + a heap of boards.

Surely for 1K you could buy any selection of decent cabs ? Or a nice NeoGeo MVS + a heap of boards.

I think I would like to have more open system than NeoGeo, I mean MAME+NES/SNES+GENESIS+5200/7800 and maybe some more, have already a huge collection of roms so would be nice to find some use for them. Perfect option would be to have NeoGeo or/+ Jamma + PC in one cab but didn't even check yet it is possible at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You sound very new to all of this. As in it occured to you extremely recently.

My suggestion would be to spent a couple if not to a few months researching before you commit.

Find out what your dream cab is and get one. (if you.want a wood cab, Mortal Kombat 2 ones are just incredible.

Find out how an ipac and a jpac work with a pc and a cab.

Figure out if emulation will make you happy or the real thing.

Research what the word JAMMA means.

Research what 15k and multi sync mean.

Have fun! Its some ride!

o1s1n wrote: »
    You sound very new to all of this. As in it occured to you extremely recently.

My suggestion would be to spent a couple if not to a few months researching before you commit.

Find out what your dream cab is and get one. (if you.want a wood cab, Mortal Kombat 2 ones are just incredible.

Find out how an ipac and a jpac work with a pc and a cab.

Figure out if emulation will make you happy or the real thing.

Research what the word JAMMA means.

Research what 15k and multi sync mean.

Have fun! Its some ride!

extremely recently - you right here I would say 4 months ago I've started my research in cabinets and arcade gaming, know IPAC and JPAC, my story with emulation in general started many years ago in DOS, I know meaning of jamma, 15K and multi sync. I've started with computers as my biggest hobby about 22 years ago when I was 12 and started programming in basic on C64
    as I said before, there is no rush, but need to start somewhere. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You sound like you're as much (if not more) into the hardware side of it than playing games/software.

I'm about 50/50 to be honest. And one thing I can tell you is there's as much fun in collecting and toying with original jamma game boards as there is with playing the games themselves.

MAME might not be for you. You may get bored once you have it finished and MAME set up.

If you stick to using the original boards and games, you are forever setting the cab up and playing with hardware.

Anyway, just an option to consider :) If you use a jpac then you can have MAME and original boards too...but once you have MAME you probably won't bother!

I've found a nice and cheap machine there,a guy there trying to organise a shipping but this is a private person and things not going so well.

Two ways to do it,The Uk scene use a fella called Martian to move all there stuff around.You gotta get him to deliver it to a haulage company like hales freight and get them to bring it to you.(maybe they'll collect???)
    Around 200e all in. I've never personally organised one but had one delivered to me from the UK a few weeks ago by red head international and it was 200e.
    It was also busted when I got it.
    Or get the ferry with a van. thats about 450 ex fuel!

Most important thing to do right now is decide if your going to use original monitor or TV/Monitor and going to use the jamma loom.
    Arcade VGA card,Jpac's and Ipacs are going to take a lump out of your budget.
    If your going for PC monitor/TV you wont need the arcadevga card.
    Dont even consider an LCD!
    22" square monitors are few and far between.I lucked out and got an absolutely savage one on adverts for 20e.

I cant comment on TVs as Ive never used one for mame.
    My main advice is get the cab you want 1st time and dont rush into anything.
    there seems to be a ****ton of wooden cabs out there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

22" square monitors are few and far between.I lucked out and got an absolutely savage one on adverts for 20e.

You'll need an arcadevga or soft15 for a tv if you want to connect scartRGB @15khz
    As said above wouldn't go near a cab with an LCD

Two ways to do it,The Uk scene use a fella called Martian to move all there stuff around.You gotta get him to deliver it to a haulage company like hales freight and get them to bring it to you.(maybe they'll collect???)
    Around 200e all in. I've never personally organised one but had one delivered to me from the UK a few weeks ago by red head international and it was 200e.
    It was also busted when I got it.
    Or get the ferry with a van. thats about 450 ex fuel!

Most important thing to do right now is decide if your going to use original monitor or TV/Monitor and going to use the jamma loom.
    Arcade VGA card,Jpac's and Ipacs are going to take a lump out of your budget.

Thank you for all that information, really appreciated

Advertisement