Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birth, death, marriage certificates

Options
  • 07-03-2013 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi All

I’m wondering if anyone has used the www.birthsdeathsmarriages.ie service and how they have found it.

I requested a cert which it turns out they couldn’t provide – a misunderstanding of the system on my part and lack of explanation on theirs. I was charged for the service before they even ascertained whether they could provide it and when I requested a refund, I was refused citing T&C.

What I found really disappointing was that I received a phone call to discuss my request to avoid back and forth e-mails - totally acceptable - but was interrupted and spoken over as the woman who called me had no interest in hearing what I had to say. I deal with clients on a daily basis and know always to listen first, then speak and if a customer interrupts me let them so they feel heard. So totally disappointed and annoyed at this incident that I created a boards account!

The kicker is that this is not the official HSE service and it charges over double for certificates! HSE charges €20 at its office on Lombard Street in Dublin and online at www.certificates.ie.
    The above website charges €44 per certificate!

Incidentally, I have dealt with the frontline staff at Lombard Street, who are fantastic. They know their stuff and are extremely helpful!

I’d be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced this website and see what they thought.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Site looks dodgy as hell, someone out to try and cream a few quid off people who don't understand the system.

Seems they saw an opening to get certs before certificates.ie started but don't seem willing to give up now that they're completely redundant.

If you paid by credit card, charge back. You never received the goods you paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

best option for research certs is always the GRO Roscommon. €4 per cert by Post once you include the correct index references.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Miffy1

Lesson learned for now most definitely, thanks MYOB will try the charge back and see how I get on.
    Shane you're right, the GRO is the best way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

Other post on them here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055616784

I think it's just that one woman Jacqui O'Sullivan.

Ripped me off too, and they're still in business. Wish there was some warning in the media about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Hi, looking for some advice re getting certs. I have been using the CRO in Roscommon to get copies of certs and the service is pretty good. I usually give the page and volume references found on familysearch.org as I mostly don't have sepcific dates to go by. Just wondering what they do if you don't fill in some of the information on the form, for example on the Birth Cert form it states that you must give the mothers name. But sometime I dont have this info as for some records it is not shown on familysearch. Has anyone requested a cert without this mandatory information, or must it be provided. Don't want to pay and then find the request cannot be processed. Kind of stuck now with my research at this point. (Same applies with mariage certs as the spouses name may not be known).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I just fill out the form to the best of my ability. They'll be very accustomed to people not having full details and sending index references.

To be clear - what info is missing from familysearch? You may be looking at the extracted parish records instead of the civil registration index. Only something from the civil registration index can be ordered from the GRO. It will always have a registration district, year plus quarter, volume and page number.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭CassieManson

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I just fill out the form to the best of my ability. They'll be very accustomed to people not having full details and sending index references.

To be clear - what info is missing from familysearch? You may be looking at the extracted parish records instead of the civil registration index. Only something from the civil registration index can be ordered from the GRO. It will always have a registration district, year plus quarter, volume and page number.

Thanks for your reply. I usually use the page volume numbers, I am referring to the fact that the civil registration index does not include the parents names. So in some cases I am guessing that the record is the correct person, but cannot be sure until I see the cert. I was wondering if the GRO would issue a copy of the cert if, for example you were not able to provide the mother's name, but just the page and volume numbers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Oh right, yes, absolutely. They aren't interesting in checking for you - so just the index references and the person's name will be fine.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement