Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group Engagement Session

Options
  • 07-03-2013 3:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

HI guys,
    I know this has been spoken about in other forums but what I was wondering was what happens if you dont attend these group engagement meetings when on JobSeekers?I have one next week and after a bit of research here I have come to the conclusion they are yet another waste of public resources.I have been unemployed for 3 years now and in that time have undertaken numerous FAS courses and had more then a few one to one meetings with FAS councillors.Going on the information I have received here as to the contents of these meetings I cant help but feel it is going to be a complete waste of time for me.Not that Im short on time just short on patience when it comes to being paraded in front of a room full of people all in similar difficult positions to myself.Its ahrd enough as it is without having to endure crap like that.
    My thinking was I ring them a few days after the meeting and say Iv only just gotten the letter and of course couldn't attend as result.Whats likely to happen?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I would be inclined to agree. We got a text from Welfare 'inviting' us to a Jobs Fair. I too think it'll be a total waste of time, but for political reasons we'll go. Welfare will probably be taking down names and asking questions if we don't...

At least it'll kill an hour or so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

I would be inclined to agree. We got a text from Welfare 'inviting' us to a Jobs Fair. I too think it'll be a total waste of time, but for political reasons we'll go. Welfare will probably be taking down names and asking questions if we don't...

At least it'll kill an hour or so.

Its not the time thats the issue though its just the whole idea of it thats getting to me.I mean I served my time as an apprentice starting back in 2002,that was 4 years of dealing with FAS.And have done at least 5 courses(4 or 5 night and 1 full time) through FAS since becoming unemployed in last 3 years.What do they think dragging me into town for a meeting about what FAS do is going to achieve?Chances are Iv been dealing with FAS longer then the person giving the talk.lol.
    Iv had plenty of correspondence with the Social Welfare where by I was given a deadline of a week or two to reply and the letter came after that week had ended so figure it should be ok this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

If you don't attend you will be given a new appointment and if you fail to attend that one you will be called into DSP for an interview. It is a 20 minute group meeting with speakers from DSP and Employment Services (formerly FAS). You might have to attend a one to one session after that. It might be easier to go and have it over with.

Sue Ellen wrote: »
    If you don't attend you will be given a new appointment and if you fail to attend that one you will be called into DSP for an interview. It is a 20 minute group meeting with speakers from DSP and Employment Services (formerly FAS). You might have to attend a one to one session after that. It might be easier to go and have it over with.

Any wonder the country is in the state it is in fairness.What an epic waste of time and money on their behalf.Iv done all the courses and had all the meetings with FAS and all to no avail.Whats really grinding my gears is they wont let me do anymore courses as they say "Well you've done (such and such) would you not try go further with that?"And then go on to tell me they wont send me on loads of them due to the cost?So what exactly are they gonna tell me I can do in this meeting that I already dont know/already have done?Just seems they could be focusing their efforts on actually creating employment then wasting resources on these meetings.Sounds like someone in FAS trying to justify their position if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Went to one of these recently, it's a presentation on Fas, VEC'S Adult education courses and emigration to Europe. A load of balls really.

• Advertisement

padma wrote: »
    Went to one of these recently, it's a presentation on Fas, VEC'S Adult education courses and emigration to Europe. A load of balls really.

So in other words a nothing event and a total waste of time.Cant say I'm surprised.As far as I can gather they are trying to get people into FAS courses as technically you're off the live register and sure doesn't that only make for fine reading for the government when unemployment figures are falling.Just like they keep announcing they are falling all the while totally neglecting the fact that people are leaving the country in their droves.I think I'm going to chance my arm and ring them afterwards to say the letter hadn't arrived in time.Like I posted before most my correspondence with anyone Social Welfare related is usually late anyway and they don't seem to care when you ring to inform them of such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

In the letter you received there's talk in their in a threatening language if you refuse to engage with the programme, ie.. reduced payments etc.

I understand your frustration, though from my feeling, you will have more frustration if you don't turn up, so maybe best to go in, sit down listen to their waffle and go with the flow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement