Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information Boards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

They have been up since last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,643 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

This is most definitely one of the better moves by the NTA and very welcome.

Also welcome is the news in the press release that similar screens are being installed in Terminals 1 & 2 at Dublin Airport and that signs are currently being rolled out at the airport stops.

A certain poster from Cork will be pleased to hear the latter news.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

my bad

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Good news that RTPI screens were finally installed at Dublin Airport Dublin Bus stops this week.

Though the screen isn't at a very noticeable location for the majority of city bound passengers waiting for the 16/41 service. I understand the reason for it's location, one screen can serve two stops. But I almost missed it and I'm always looking out for these sort of things.

Next we need a Leap card TVM at the Dublin Bus stops at the airport. Also some TVM's outside the DB offices on O'Connell St and a few other busy city center locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

I think further reducing and intregrating the capping system should be LEAPs main priority!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Surely it would be ridiculous for a tourist to use a Leap Card though? As far as I'm aware (and I'm open to correction), the card has to be posted (:eek:) back to get the deposit back... as a cheque...

If you could return them at DART stations and the DB office on OCS then they'd be ideal for tourists but for now it'll only cost the time and hassle.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you could return them at DART stations and the DB office on OCS then they'd be ideal for tourists but for now it'll only cost the time and hassle.

Or the CIE and tourist desks at Dublin Airport, which should also sell and top them up.

A few months ago, only shortly after Leap launched, I saw some German students board the 16 at Dublin Airport with Leap in hand !!

Before most regular public transport users here in Dublin even started using it!!

Other countries think it natural to use such cards, even when abroad.

In Atlanta it is literally the only way to use bus/train, no cash accepted. But then the card only costs $1 and you can put individual tickets on it, along with daily, weekly, monthly, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭markpb

Surely it would be ridiculous for a tourist to use a Leap Card though? As far as I'm aware (and I'm open to correction), the card has to be posted (:eek:) back to get the deposit back... as a cheque...

Why bother? I have an Oyster card (three of them actually) with a little cash on each of them in case I go back. And you have to admit they'd be very handy for tourists, especially when DB and multi operator capping comes into effect.

Anyway back on topic, this is an absolutely excellent move by the NTA!

Lets be honest about this. Due to Dublin Bus and Irish Rail being the main transport providers, for most tourists planning a short visit to Dublin the existing range of DB/IE prepaid tickets are sufficient - the 3 day versions of the bus only rambler, bus/rail Short Hop or Freedom tickets (which include the tours) will actually cover everything bar the LUAS (which will have limited appeal).

It's not like London where most tourists will be hopping between bus, tube and train to get around.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

lxflyer wrote: »
    Lets be honest about this. Due to Dublin Bus and Irish Rail being the main transport providers, for most tourists planning a short visit to Dublin the existing range of DB/IE prepaid tickets are sufficient - the 3 day versions of the bus only rambler, bus/rail Short Hop or Freedom tickets (which include the tours) will actually cover everything bar the LUAS (which will have limited appeal).

It's not like London where most tourists will be hopping between bus, tube and train to get around.

BD short passes will be sold on leap from this summer, so they told me recently.

• Advertisement

DB short passes will be sold on leap from this summer, so they told me recently.

About time! And also why Leap TVM's should appear at Dublin Airport and other tourist locations.

However I agree that the top priority for Leap needs to be fixing it on Dublin Bus.

Leap on DB is just terribly broken, the whole driver interaction thing is just too slow and too confusing.

It badly needs to be made either tag-on/tag-off or fixed fare.

BD short passes will be sold on leap from this summer, so they told me recently.

Does this really make that much of a difference?

How hard is it just to buy the pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Does this really make that much of a difference?

How hard is it just to buy the pass?

Well it will save DB the cost of printing up new passes over time plus it will allow passengers to carry Leap credit onto a dedicated bus pass so yeah, it will make a difference.

That's fair enough but as others have said it's not really the highest priority I would suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

That's fair enough but as others have said it's not really the highest priority I would suggest.

I would think getting product tickets onto the card is pretty high a priority. A huge amount of DB customers use tickets still.

Stevek101 wrote: »
    I would think getting product tickets onto the card is pretty high a priority. A huge amount of DB customers use tickets still.

Indeed they do and why would anyone who uses the bus, tram or LUAS every day not do so?

The primary function of LEAP is to facilitate the occasional user of public transport, through the pay-as-you-go feature, and ultimately facilitating capping of individual journey, daily and weekly travel costs. Loading period passes onto it is a desirable extra.

The full range of prepaid tickets will still remain available, as they are in London, although ultimately they will be available also to load onto a LEAP card.

The vast majority of regular commuters in Dublin use one mode only to get to/from work - for them this will not make one blind bit of difference.

As I said above, it's frankly down the pecking order behind roll out of auto top up, integrated single fares, daily/weekly single and multi mode capping for pay-as-you-go, and the overhaul of DB's fare structure.

It's a nice to have but not essential feature in my view.

Advertisement