Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comet PanSTARRS

Options
  • 07-03-2013 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

Ok did everybody dusted off their equipement for Comet panstarrs?Should be spectacullar!Here is an image from Australia :
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/22259751@N04/8527307471/
    Oh yah and dont forget to say your prayers for good weather...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Nerro wrote: »
    Ok did everybody dusted off their equipement for Comet panstarrs?Should be spectacullar!Here is an image from Australia :
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/22259751@N04/8527307471/
    Oh yah and dont forget to say your prayers for good weather...

Weather crap for the weekend as usual! How long will it be visible at our latitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

it should be visible from 10th of March but the best days to observe it appears to be 12th and 13th.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

when and where?

well yesterday wasd a no go due to cloudy weather.tonight its looking good so far (fingers crossed).i will be heading to sugar loaf for a chance to capture the comet anyone wanting to join me are more than welcome.should be there around 6:45pm.

well yesterday wasd a no go due to cloudy weather.tonight its looking good so far (fingers crossed).i will be heading to sugar loaf for a chance to capture the comet anyone wanting to join me are more than welcome.should be there around 6:45pm.
    Yeah its looking good for tonight, I think ill join you Nero. I only hope its not snowed in, the road to the car park is not gritted at all usually.

• Advertisement

Wailin wrote: »
    Yeah its looking good for tonight, I think ill join you Nero. I only hope its not snowed in, the road to the car park is not gritted at all usually.
    I live up in the wicklow myself and there is almost no snow left so we should be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Is it still a way down on the western horizon (6degrees?) ??

ZeRoY wrote: »
    Is it still a way down on the western horizon (6degrees?) ??
    yes it is.It will be 3deg left from the moon.

Well it appears that the weather have different plans :( so no point heading. http://www.sat24.com/en/?ir=true
    Hope tommorow will be better...

yes it is.It will be 3deg left from the moon.

Then its barely passing the horizon in Ireland.... not a chance until later this month I think.

• Advertisement

The first pics are coming in... from Northern Ireland,

http://spaceweather.com/gallery/indiv_upload.php?upload_id=77693

Alan-Fitzsimmons-IMG_4761_1363122039_lg.jpg

Well it appears everybody got a glimpse of the comet apart from Dublin region :( There were 2 of us in Sugar Loaf yeasterday and it was mostly cloudy with small patches of clear sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

Going to make a trip to the Hill of Slane this evening to see if I can catch anything. Never been at night, is the viewing any good does any body know?

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

ZeRoY wrote: »
    The first pics are coming in... from Northern Ireland,

http://spaceweather.com/gallery/indiv_upload.php?upload_id=77693

Alan-Fitzsimmons-IMG_4761_1363122039_lg.jpg

Is Pan Starrs the tiny little white blotch to the left?

It's a fabulous photo.

I realise now I probably wouldn't really notice pan starrs even if I was searching the sky specifically for it.

Is Pan Starrs the tiny little white blotch to the left?

It is, wish it was my pic!!

Anyway, for those using Stellarium... easy to add Comet in there:

Config Window -> Plugins -> Solar System Editor

Then just import C/2011 L4 from the list of comets

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Novaman

I had a great night also with clear skies, the Comet could not be seen naked eye, but with binoculars it was very easy. Great sight with the Moon also. I think it was smaller that I had hoped with a short tail pointing in the 10 o'clock position. I would agree that it was about magnitude 2.

I got some shots too...

Our Moon & the Comet
    www.flickr.com/photos/79652716@N00/8554821583/in/photostream/

Comet Panstarrs close up
    www.flickr.com/photos/79652716@N00/8554821563/in/photostream

NM

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

That is a nice second pic!

What time was that at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Novaman

7.36pm this evening

How long was the comet visible for ?

I was looking (naked eye) from 7:00 - 7:30 and couldn't see . (But as you said not visible naked eye ) . :mad:

nanook5 wrote: »
    How long was the comet visible for ?

I was looking (naked eye) from 7:00 - 7:30 and couldn't see . (But as you said not visible naked eye ) . :mad:

I have over 40 shots and its only on 2-3 but soooo faint. I was shooting from 6.45 to 7.10 ... Apparently was visible from 7.25 through to 7.40 or so

• Advertisement

Check out Republic of Astronomy (Ireland) on facebook, Anthony, the guy that runs it captured some nice images of the comet from Phoenix Park yesterday evening. Reason why most people missed it is because it was very low on the horizon and visible only for a short time after sun set. The comet was nowhere near the moon as most people (inc myself) thought!

549824_419321544826011_1672234692_n.jpg

Here is the comet with the moon, taken from Republic of Astronomy (Ireland)

Check out Republic of Astronomy (Ireland) on facebook, Anthony, the guy that runs it captured some nice images of the comet from Phoenix Park yesterday evening. Reason why most people missed it is because it was very low on the horizon and visible only for a short time after sun set. The comet was nowhere near the moon as most people (inc myself) thought!

Yep - I had wrong time (from Anthony incidentally!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

what is the best time to look tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

549824_419321544826011_1672234692_n.jpg

Here is the comet with the moon, taken from Republic of Astronomy (Ireland)

Sweet!

Still havent glimpsed it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

I was up in the Phoenix Park too yesterday evening, and I chatted to someone briefly about the comet - it must have been Anthony :)

I couldn't really see the comet with the naked eye, but my camera picked it up thankfully! I did some processing of the image in GIMP to try and bring it out more clearly.

8556125703_83a9c5880c_z.jpg
    Original on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ImagenEstilo

I've been trying to capture this yoke for the last few days but between weather and bad timing it evaded me. Up to last night at least. This photo was taken at an observatory in Antequera, Malaga. It is about 1100m above sea level. Conditions were good. This is the original image, uncropped.

panstarrs_logo.jpg

Very nice photo!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ImagenEstilo

Very nice photo!

Thanks Wailin.

I have added a blog page on my site with a load of photos, some time lapse and a high res gallery of the uncompressed images if anyone wants to take a peek. The images aren't watermarked so if you do use them, can you link them back to the article page.

The link is already on the Photography Forum and although it is a photography article more than astro some of you might like to have a read: Comet PanSTARRS in photos

Dave

• Advertisement

I had a go at taking a few pics of it tonight (1200 to be precise )

This one was by far the best of them all .

Took at around 7:30 - 7:35

Canon 1D MKii with Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L Lens @ 200mm f/2.8 ISO 800 0.6"

Slightly tweaked in Light room And PS

8562350433_702ef5b3df_c.jpg
    Comet C/2011 L4 PANSTARRS by Reece Gavin, on Flickr

Advertisement