Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boosting WIFI Signal - Netgear Cisco Router and Netgear Wifi Booster

Options
  • 07-03-2013 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I live in a three story house. At the top floor getting wireless reception is fine until all my housemates are h ome and when they are all there my signal becomes very intermittent. I bought a NetGear Wifi booster from PC World but, even though it is clearly boosting the signal i cannot get it to actually connect with the router - I spoke with UPC who say the cannot and will not support this and have previously been told that I must unlock the access control list or something to that effect - Please tell me there is an easy solution to this - how do i get the router to allow the booster to boost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Do you mean the actual signal quality drops or the connection speed drops. If it's the latter there is nothing you can do.

Both the wireless bandwidth and the internet bandwidth are being shared by everyone in the house.

If it is the signal quality are they or your neighbours using any other wireless devices which could be generating RF interference?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Technoprat

Thank you for your reply - The connection is dropping completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mark in Lucan

What is the exact layout of the internet setup in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Technoprat

What is the exact layout of the internet setup in the house?
    Hi, it is a UPC cisco broadband wifi router. When the house is empty the signal reaches the top room no problem but when all housemates are home the signal dies. I got a netgear booster and plugged it in on the top floor and it does boost the signal really well but it is jot actually talking to the base router if that makes any sense?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

change the orientation of the access point , most are setup to send a signal horizontally - try it on it's side or end

do a scan both up stairs and down stairs to see what other access points can be seen, this should give you something to compare the effects of changing the access point orientation

Boosters add noise, they jam other people's signals. If you are lucky they may also improve yours.

• Advertisement
Advertisement