Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit where credits due

Options
  • 07-03-2013 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭

I landed at Dublin Airport T2 this morning at 0800, made my way to the 747 bus stop and boarded a bus at 0820. Got off at Talbot St and took a short stroll to Connolly Station. I'm now travelling on the 0916 to Maynooth and my old smart card still works and has covered the train fare.

And I have a cup of hot refreshing coffee in my hand too. This seems to me to be integrated transport in action!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I landed at Dublin Airport T2 this morning at 0800, made my way to the 747 bus stop and boarded a bus at 0820. Got off at Talbot St and took a short stroll to Connolly Station. I'm now travelling on the 0916 to Maynooth and my old smart card still works and has covered the train fare.

And I have a cup of hot refreshing coffee in my hand too. This seems to me to be integrated transport in action!
    Why give credit for companies doing what you are paying them for? You paid for a service and it was supplied. By all means give credit if they gave you something extra above what was contracted like a free coffee and paper, but for doing a good job they already get paid!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Why give credit for companies doing what you are paying them for? You paid for a service and it was supplied. By all means give credit if they gave you something extra above what was contracted like a free coffee and paper, but for doing a good job they already get paid!

For once someone compliments the system that is in place, and gives it kudos for actually working when we've all had times when it won't, but you seem intent on dragging it down.

CTYIgirl wrote: »

For once someone compliments the system that is in place, and gives it kudos for actually working when we've all had times when it won't, but you seem intent on dragging it down.
    No, it is very good that it works as it should and the staff have most likely more to do with that than management of the respective companies but why give praise for people doung their job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Do you ever stop moaning about CIE Foggy? Someone has done a journey from the airport to the city centre on a wet morning during the peak of rush hour, had a convenient drop off to connect with another service. All ran to time and his old smart card still worked.

As the title says credit where credit is due.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

No, it is very good that it works as it should and the staff have most likely more to do with that than management of the respective companies but why give praise for people doung their job?

Well I don't know about you, but it's nice to get a thank you from someone when I'm in work, despite "doung [sic] their job". Can we not appreciate that at rush hour - when times of buses in particular can be unpredictable - the integrated transport system that CIE have tried to set up is working?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

This seems to me to be integrated transport in action!

Indeed, plane - bus - train - and use of dedicated infrastructure like the Port Tunnel. Its finally a journey that reasonable and not a national embarrassment of sitting in traffic and taking longer than the flight from London

They just need to integrate some transport to Pier D of T1, but luckily the OP didn't have to deal with that :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

why give praise for people doung their job?
    Because it's a nice thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

wait, so you had to WALK from Talbot St to Connolly Station??:pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Warning: You're very close to a ban of at least at week if not more for trolling.

Tone it down please. There's zero harm giving people credit for doing a good job -- it's actually normal to thank somebody for doing a good job.

Do not reply to this post.

*mod*

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

If you do something right then it's nice to be told so you know what works and to keep doing it.

Similarly if you do something wrong you should also be told so so you can fix the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Foggy I'd say your some craic out when having a few pints

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Just mention Dublin Bus in conversation and you'd get him off on an entertaining rant, mind you I get stick off my friends for that too... Along with Religion it's a topic I'm not allowed talk about once drinking in company :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Credit where credits due blah blah I agree it's nice to acknowledge people's hard work etc etc etc

Personally though I think it's a sad state of affairs when the public transport system simply *working* is good enough to warrant a thread.

It should always be like that and that's the standard we should expect of those who manage it (especially considering the prices).

I mean he got a bus to a train station and then a train. Most countries figured this out a long time ago :pac::pac:

So I've been told, but I don't talk about CIE or anything related to it when having a few large Bulmers. Therw are usually more important things to be discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,139 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Credit where credits due blah blah I agree it's nice to acknowledge people's hard work etc etc etc

Personally though I think it's a sad state of affairs when the public transport system simply *working* is good enough to warrant a thread.

It should always be like that and that's the standard we should expect of those who manage it (especially considering the prices).

I mean he got a bus to a train station and then a train. Most countries figured this out a long time ago :pac::pac:

I agree completely. It is very sad. Even sadder when one is condemned for disagreeing. The very fact that this thread was created actually highlights how poor our public transport system is. What the OP experienced should in fact be taken for granted. Those who fail to subscribe to the brilliance of the experience should not be rediculed.

I am not trolling, but it must be pointed out that the reaction to foggys post is a tad OTT. By all means give the credit where its due, but are we now not allowed to highlight how poor our public transport network actually is, when a simple journey demands a thread all of its own because it went well?

CTYIgirl wrote: »

I disagree. I don't believe foggy is dragging anything down and I don't believe foggy is trolling. I do believe that foggy is pointing out the obvious and its obvious some people dont like it or dont understand the point that is being made. Public transport users should be used to the service as described by the OP. It should be a given. However, it is generally so poor and disjointed, that when it does work smoothly, we are surprised. That's just not right.

Its nice to be nice, but, there is a huge difference between thanking a bus driver and salivating over a bus trip from the airport, a quick walk and a train to Maynooth. A lot of people are paid a lot of money to coordinate public transport and based on what we currently have, the dont deserve any thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

If this forum is full of threads complaining about the transport system then why not a rare thread complimenting it? No harm in it equal rights and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Richard Logue

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I disagree. I don't believe foggy is dragging anything down and I don't believe foggy is trolling. I do believe that foggy is pointing out the obvious and its obvious some people dont like it or dont understand the point that is being made. Public transport users should be used to the service as described by the OP. It should be a given. However, it is generally so poor and disjointed, that when it does work smoothly, we are surprised. That's just not right.

Its nice to be nice, but, there is a huge difference between thanking a bus driver and salivating over a bus trip from the airport, a quick walk and a train to Maynooth. A lot of people are paid a lot of money to coordinate public transport and based on what we currently have, the dont deserve any thanks.

I take exception to you describing my original post as "salivating". All I have done is to write about my experience of Dublin's transport system and that the connections I wanted to make were hassle free.

I take exception to you describing my original post as "salivating". All I have done is to write about my experience of Dublin's transport system and that the connections I wanted to make were hassle free.

You've made an incorrect assumption Richard. I did not describe your post as "salivating". I was generalising across the subsequent contributions to the thread.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    If this forum is full of threads complaining about the transport system then why not a rare thread complimenting it? No harm in it equal rights and all that.

Equal rights? No problem. Freedom to express oneself in accordance with boards.ie rules shouldn't be a problem either. Leaving foggys post out of the equation, I too believe that we should be taking the OPs journey/connections for granted and that it doesn't warrant any particular type of praise. I say this without any intended offense to the OP. It was a basic journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

This is why a dedicated DART line to the airport would be a waste of money. There's already a tunnel for public transport, and it works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Equal rights? No problem. Freedom to express oneself in accordance with boards.ie rules shouldn't be a problem either. Leaving foggys post out of the equation, I too believe that we should be taking the OPs journey/connections for granted and that it doesn't warrant any particular type of praise. I say this without any intended offense to the OP. It was a basic journey.

A significant part of the issue is Foggy_Lads substantial body of posting in which he has consistently attributed all manner of wrongdoing to Public Transport Staff,particularly although not exclusively,CIE group staff.

As a one such CIE group staff member I have no issue whatever with jousting with Foggy_Lad or anybody in a fair-minded manner.

However,I feel,when stuff such as this is posted one has to step back ...
    Foggy_Lad: The number of perverts using Bus Éireann and Irish Rail has a lot to do with the relaxed attitude of staff to incidents where nothing or very little is done about these perverts. In other places they would be put off the bus or train and held to be interviewed by the police but here it is just something that we are supposed to ignore and allow happen lest complaining about it might inconvenience staff.

This can and does colour the responses to subsequent postings by Foggy ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Of course it should be taken for granted but its nice to mention it when its working instead of filling the forum with any little complaint just because someone may have a personal issue with CIE. Its the Transport and Commuting thread where you can share your commuting experiences not just a CIE complaint forum so the thread is warranted as much as any other.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,639 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Of course you can now travel directly from the Airport to/from Maynooth with Bus Eireann!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

You could have gotten a DB bus to Drumcondra and boarded the train there. Good bit cheaper than going all the way into Busarus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

lxflyer wrote: »
    Of course you can now travel directly from the Airport to/from Maynooth with Bus Eireann!

Ironically the 820 departure from the Airport doesn't serve Maynooth. OP would have to wait in the airport till the 1120 departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭bikeman1

God aren't us Irish a bunch of begrudgers? We're not even allowed to complement our transport system.

Also the OP may not have being going all the way to Maynooth, so having a Bus Eireann going directly there, even if there was one, may be no good if you are going to Ashtown for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭thomasj

lxflyer wrote: »

Do they pick up in maynooth for Dublin airport or vice versa?

I didn't think they did!

Edit: forget that.....I just saw the 22 timetable!

AlekSmart wrote: »
    A significant part of the issue is Foggy_Lads substantial body of posting in which he has consistently attributed all manner of wrongdoing to Public Transport Staff,particularly although not exclusively,CIE group staff.

As a one such CIE group staff member I have no issue whatever with jousting with Foggy_Lad or anybody in a fair-minded manner.

However,I feel,when stuff such as this is posted one has to step back ...
    Foggy_Lad: The number of perverts using Bus Éireann and Irish Rail has a lot to do with the relaxed attitude of staff to incidents where nothing or very little is done about these perverts. In other places they would be put off the bus or train and held to be interviewed by the police but here it is just something that we are supposed to ignore and allow happen lest complaining about it might inconvenience staff.

This can and does colour the responses to subsequent postings by Foggy ?
    As you well know AlexSmart I am only posting about my own experiences and also anecdotes from friends and others who I take the time to listen to.

As for the incident referred to above, it was concerning a person rubbing his genitals through his clothing and the bus eireann drivers attitude was quite unnerving to say the least! he was not a bit interested and was certainly not going to speak to the person or even leave his seat! I was directed to the inspector at the airport who was not much more interested than the driver but at least boarded the bus and spoke with the person and informed him that a complaint had been made of him rubbing his genitals and of course he denied it. After the incident I felt as if they would prefer if I had just chosen to wait for the next bus as so many others would have done rather that get them to do their jobs!

I also reported the incident at the bus station in Belfast and got a much more useful response. They said that had it been one of their buses the person would be removed from the bus immediately such a complaint was made and either let travel on the next service if the behaviour turned out to be something completely innocent or held for the police if it was deemed necessary.

I talk about the poor attitudes, poor work ethic and general lack of regard for the law and for their own employers rules and regulations which is exhibited by many staff in transport companies and mostly it relates to CIE, BE, IR and to a much lesser extent Dublin Bus, This is because these companies are the largest in the country or the only service providers as in the case of Irish Rail! If i was posting about supermarkets in a shopping forum Tesco would figure most prominently in my posts as the largest chain of supermarkets.

One of my pet hates in transport is the habit of "professional" drivers who are barred by law and also whose employers prohibit them from using any kind of mobile phone or headset whilst driving quite happily flouting laws and rules and chatting away on their mobiles or listening to their iPod or other device through earphones. If I see a driver using a mobile for long calls while driving I am not, as you put it, attributing all manner of wrongdoing to him/her I am simply stating that it is illegal and in my opinion they should be sacked!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Richard Logue

bikeman1 wrote: »
    God aren't us Irish a bunch of begrudgers? We're not even allowed to complement our transport system.

Also the OP may not have being going all the way to Maynooth, so having a Bus Eireann going directly there, even if there was one, may be no good if you are going to Ashtown for example.

As it happens I was getting off at Louisa Bridge, but am delighted to see a few other options emerging from the thread!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement