Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mame Bios Files

Options
  • 07-03-2013 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭

I came across a pack of Mame 148 bios files in my travels.

Anyone know what these files are for and why they're not included in the mame build or Rom pack? Or perhaps they are in the build/Rom pack and have just been separated out.

There are numerous zip files like neogeo.zip.
    Where do the files go and in what folder structure?

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

I think they just go in the roms folder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

They go in the roms folder. I'd say they've just been separated out in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

EnterNow wrote: »
    They go in the roms folder. I'd say they've just been separated out in this case

Yeah my thoughts as well. Neo geo games are loading for me regardless so I assume I have the correct bios file already somewhere in my installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

The MAME app is free to use, but the roms are separated from the app, because legally, they are the property of the company who originally manufactured the game.
    The rom zip files should be located in the ROMS folder. No need to unzip them - the app does the unzipping when a game is launched.

Yeah my thoughts as well. Neo geo games are loading for me regardless so I assume I have the correct bios file already somewhere in my installation.

Yep, Mame would bounce back with an error about missing files if the required files were missing so they must be present somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bios roms are still copyright so therefore can't be included.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Recent builds are mental, needing bios files specific to the Mame version, or at least close to, and the classic Namco stuff like Pacman and Galaga need two specific bios files too.
    Google is, as ever, you the friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Think I am going to stick with mame 148 from now on until a serious update arrives.
    Its just too difficult trying to keep an top of it.

I spotted those specific Namco games in the bios pack alright.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Bios roms are still copyright so therefore can't be included.

The majority of the games are still copyright protected too though, this is just a bios pack

Advertisement