Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer laptop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Not great value. Last gen i3 clocked at 1.4Ghz. Just a quick look at laptopsdirect.ie and found this for about the same price but with an Ivy i3 clocked at 2.4Ghz with Intel HD 4000.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

Not sure if it's still the case but if you have any problems with the Acer you'll be in for a world of pain waiting up to 2 months for the ham-fisted idiots in their repair company to sort it out.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

http://www.dabs.ie/products/lenovo-g580-core-i5-3210m-6gb-ram-500gb-hdd-dvdrw-15-6--windows-8---bronze-8DBT.html?src=7

Its a 100 euros more but would this not be far better value? i5 processor so should be a bit more future proofed and lenova would be far more reliable then acer.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Eoghan41

God forbid anyone ever posts a laptop bargain again to bargain alerts. . Everytine somebody does it's never a bargain! True you could spend a hundred euro more on a better laptop but if they don't have that extra money I think the one mentioned above is good value. people who say that certain manufacturers are superior to others, I would be extremely reluctant to believe that one is better than another as most of them only put the pieces together. Don't build the processor, gpu, motherboatd ram etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Balmed Out wrote: »
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/lenovo-g580-core-i5-3210m-6gb-ram-500gb-hdd-dvdrw-15-6--windows-8---bronze-8DBT.html?src=7

Its a 100 euros more but would this not be far better value? i5 processor so should be a bit more future proofed and lenova would be far more reliable then acer.

Got one of these last week, great laptop, fairly quick. One minor issue I had was the surface on it is terrible for fingerprints. Also didn't like the touchpad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BobCobb

Btw, there's also a good offer on a number of HP laptops at the moment. Get 110e cashback on certain laptops, such as the HP 650. Again, I think they're Sandy Bridge, but still a pretty good price. Elara has an i3-2308 for 450e, or 340e after the offer. I don't know if it applies to other shops though, caveat emptor!

www.hppromotions.co.uk/Claim.aspx?Promo=HP600FEB13AR

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭delboy76

Balmed Out wrote: »

I just got back a faulty battery from Lenovo under warrantee. It took over a month!!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭damon5

Dont go near Acer,have one and had to get it sent off 3 times in under 2 years because it kept packing in.The last time it was sent back they had to replace the whole motherboard,later came across some insurance companys that had a few makes that they wouldnt insure and yes Acer was one of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

damon5 wrote: »
    Dont go near Acer,have one and had to get it sent off 3 times in under 2 years because it kept packing in.The last time it was sent back they had to replace the whole motherboard,later came across some insurance companys that had a few makes that they wouldnt insure and yes Acer was one of them...

I once met a man that told me he had a neighbour who's friedn didn't like Acer. I'd stay well clear :rolleyes:

Anyway, as somebody said above it's not too bad for the money; which is what could make it a bargain for somebody.

To me responding to a bargain by pointing out more expensive better versions of the product has no relevance at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

In fairness, the above post was personal experience, not a man who met a dog who pissed on a neighbors tree etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭aonoco

thanks bobcobb...liking the look of the HP HP 600 650 C1N14EA

€450 delivered with HP less cash back € 340- what do people think, cannot seem to find any laptop with same spec for this price?

http://www.hpshop.ie/hp-600-650-C1N14EA.html

Cash back is available from any reseller:
    https://www.hppromotions.co.uk/Claim.aspx?Promo=HP600FEB13AR

the only drawback i can see is nearly 2 months to get the money back: Upon submitting a valid Claim, you will receive £100/€110euro (inclusive of all taxes) by bank transfer. Typically payments are made within 56 days. All and any tax liability is your responsibility. Claims will be paid out based on the price paid for Qualifying Products excluding VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭grudgebringer

I have both an Acer Laptop and an Acer desktop, both have served me very reliably over several years. I would recommend them to anyone ... really it all comes downto personal experience, I had a Dell laptop which I considered a piece of sh1t but I guess some people would swear by Dell products, so from my experience, Acer were perfectly fine and always very reasonably priced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

aonoco wrote: »
    thanks bobcobb...liking the look of the HP HP 600 650 C1N14EA

Seems to lack USB 3?

I'd kinda want HD4000 and USB 3 (at least two ports) on a laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

I repair laptops, acers tend to skimp on the casing, cooling and reinforement bars for the lcd/hinges, a lot have no lateral bar across the top of the lcd so wehn people open the laptop they crack the screen. This is a part that costs a couple of cents to press out.

If its a laptop that will spend its life on a desk they are mostly fine but people that transport / open and close them a lot and use them in bed / on their lap have lots of problems with cracking lcd, casings, hinges seperating and overheating leading to bga soldering issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

paddyp wrote: »
    I repair laptops, acers tend to skimp on the casing, cooling and reinforement bars for the lcd/hinges, a lot have no lateral bar across the top of the lcd so wehn people open the laptop they crack the screen. This is a part that costs a couple of cents to press out.

If its a laptop that will spend its life on a desk they are mostly fine but people that transport / open and close them a lot and use them in bed / on their lap have lots of problems with cracking lcd, casings, hinges seperating and overheating leading to bga soldering issues.
    had my Acer 2years with daily use and never an issue..msybe in just careful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭aonoco

BostonB wrote: »
    Seems to lack USB 3?

I'd kinda want HD4000 and USB 3 (at least two ports) on a laptop.

Good points- found this for a few euro more than the hp after cash back

ticks the boxes on USB 2 x USB 2.0 , 2 x USB 3.0 , VGA , HDMI , LAN , Headphone/microphone combo jack

but graphics is HD3000 - is there much of a difference between HD3000 and 4000 that one would notice or mostly for gamers?

http://www.dabs.ie/products/lenovo-b580-core-i3-2328-4gb-500gb-dvd-writer-15-6--widescreen-1366x768-windows-8-64-bit-8C47.html?refs=54580000-51340000-52330000-56660000-15&src=3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Obviously its better for light games. But you wanted something better then HD4000 is you were anyway into games. HD4000 also gives a newer IvyBridge chipset and cpu's which should be faster and cooler, more efficient, better battery life. If you use apps (not games) that take advantage of the GPU obvously the HD4000 will help. If budget is the main issue then HD3000 is an ok compromise. But just so you are aware and can make an informed decision. I'd kinda like HD4000. I think it will be supported longer and be a bit more useful if passing it on to the kids, or selling it on in 3 or 4yrs time. However I could swing to HD3000 for a good deal.

I can find info on the G580 but not the B580 so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BobCobb

aonoco wrote: »
    what do people think, cannot seem to find any laptop with same spec for this price?

You can also get the HP 650, i3 2328 and 6 gigs of ram at dabs.ie for 425e delivered to ireland, or 310e with the cashback.

I've also seen an i3-3110 packard bell for about 350e, which is a very good price. It's from laptopsdirect though, which might not be everyone's favourite seller...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Don't go near dabs.ie , useless shower of idiots in customer support.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭tonymahoney

Anyone think this is a good deal considering what you are getting for €478
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/acer-aspire-xc600-core-i5-2320-3ghz-8gb-ram-2tb-hdd-dvdrw-win8-8N0J.html?src=2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

i would be looking for a 3rd generation processor

had my Acer 2years with daily use and never an issue..msybe in just careful :)

Yeah, my Acer is going on 4 years now and still perfectly fine even with near everyday use. :) I've never had a laptop for this long but I suppose it just works and I don't feel the need to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭vulmac

Bought four Acer laptops for my children five years ago. They never failed still going strong years later both my children and laptops. The only problem now is the hard drive is only 40g which was ok at that time.I have installed windows 8 on two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

is this a good deal? Hp touchsmart 439eur?
    Harvey normans have a HP Pavilion Touchsmart sleekbook with 15.6 touchscreen
    AMD A4 Dual core processor
    4 gb ram. 500GB Hd. + win8 for 439 for the bank holiday weekend for sale. Reduced from 549.

There is no link as it was on a flyer that I saw, and the sale only lasts the weekend

I will be using it as a main laptop, so browsing, videos etc. microsoft office, maybe photoshop. Not interested in games so Im not interested in that kind of criteria. THe main thing is its light and as I do a lot of traveling thats a major plus. So what you think?
    Thanks in advance.

and also just to say im typing this on an acer thats 5/6 years old, its been dropped its been kicked and its been dropkicked. it only has 512 mb of ram, 80gb HD, pentium processor, its as slow as a wet week, battery doesnt hold charge but it just keeps going and going and going. Time to take it round the back though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Everybody should just go on saveonlaptops and get a good deal

Advertisement