Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make the novel longer?

Options
  • 06-03-2013 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hey there writers, I know I haven't been around since the voat thing, but homework and study must come first :(
    So I was writing the other day and it occurred to me that I have trouble making my stories long. I may be 5000 words in and a third of the story is already on paper. Is there something wrong with the way I write? Is there a way to write more? Does anyone else have this problem?
    Any answer is helpful. Thaanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

It sounds like you are writing novellas rather than novels. That's fine, they are very commercial now as an e-book. Before you start writing, write a synopsis. That will let you see if you have enough plot to sustain a story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Compu Global Hyper Meganet

15,000 words is a bit too short for a novella in my own opinion. It's easier to cut a work down rather than build it up, so maybe you should look to take off a bit and make it into a short story instead.

If you're looking to expand it a bit, it all depends greatly on your writing style. For example, if it's a slightly philosophical introverted work (like "The old man and the Sea") then gentle repetition of key moments and themes at regular intervals actually enhances the mood of the book (as well a boosting the wordcount). However, if it's a fast paced thriller then you may need to try something else - some sort of plot twist for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FudgeBrace

EileenG wrote: »
    It sounds like you are writing novellas rather than novels. That's fine, they are very commercial now as an e-book. Before you start writing, write a synopsis. That will let you see if you have enough plot to sustain a story.
    I did write a synopsis (or at least I think I did! It's a plot outline isn't it?) an I thought it'd make a nice novel, but maybe I should be going for a novella...

15,000 words is a bit too short for a novella in my own opinion. It's easier to cut a work down rather than build it up, so maybe you should look to take off a bit and make it into a short story instead.

If you're looking to expand it a bit, it all depends greatly on your writing style. For example, if it's a slightly philosophical introverted work (like "The old man and the Sea") then gentle repetition of key moments and themes at regular intervals actually enhances the mood of the book (as well a boosting the wordcount). However, if it's a fast paced thriller then you may need to try something else - some sort of plot twist for example.
    It's definitely not a philosophical novel hahaha I'm more of a YA fiction/sic fi/thriller kind of writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Perhaps think of how you could add more depth to the story.

B
    • ack-stories on the main characters. Sections looking back on key events that formed the characters.
    • Frame your story against a back-drop. have a key event running alongside the main story line, have the story occur during a festival,a sporting event, a natural disaster.
    • Add a small contrasting theme to your story. Expand upon a contrasting theme perhaps using it to add more flavor to a character.
    • Write key sections from different character viewpoints.
    • Add a love interest :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Fudge, if your story is about one person or one thing, then it sounds like you're writing a single thread short story rather than a novel.

What's the theme of your story? Your main character's arc should highlight it, but you can strengthen that by exploring other aspects of the same idea with a side plot for the main character, and sub-plots for supporting characters.

E.g. if our story is about a woman dealing with her abusive father, then develop a side plot about her drug problem, and show her friends and colleagues dealing with power dynamics in their own troubled relationships.

As long as all your subplots can be tied back together in the end then you're in good shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Maybe your story is not meant to be longer?:P

Don't try and force it anyways as it may weaken the overall result if your unsure what to do.

Do you have enough characters? Does anything interesting happen to them?

The best thing to do when planning your story is to make a quick list of every possible thing that might go wrong with each decision your characters makes.

Hopefully that gives you some more ideas to compliment your existing ones.

Thanks I'll try think of some awful things to do to my characters muahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ThePinkCage

I empathise with this dilemma. It is great that you're a concise writer, but fleshing out existing scenes will add more texture to your work. Add in extra descriptions, drawing on the five senses. Insert passages between the main event that allow you and your reader to take a break, exploring the world you've created and building tension for the next big conflict or event.

Having said that, don't force your work to be longer. As EileenG says, you may be a natural fit for a shorter ebook.

Advertisement