Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommendations for a new laptop

Options
  • 06-03-2013 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

ok so, im getting a new laptop, not sure when but soon, i need one that is as good as or better than my old laptop, so if anyone has any recomendations let me know, heres the specs of my old one - samsung rv510

first some things to keep in mind:
    i live in dunboyne, so i need to get able to get it in a shop in either blanchardstown or dublin.
    secondly teh laptop will mainly be used for programming and gaming, but i dont want a high end gaming laptop, as i dont usually play high end games anyway, it will mainly be minecraft, kingomds of amalur reckoning, and oblivion.
    windows 8 or 7 doesnt matter, because if windows 8 does go to hell i have a windows 7 and xp legitimate install cd.
    and finally id rather not get a mac xD

my price range is 400 euro MAX
    500 euro only if really needed to go that high
    200-300 euro preferable.

specs::
    Memory:
    System Memory4GB(DDR3/2GB x 2)
    2 x Slot SODIMM(up to 4GB) Memory Slot
    Graphic:
    Integrated shared Graphics Memory
    TFT, 262000 Color, TSP
    Processor:
    Intel® Pentium Processor T4500 (2.3GHz, 800MHz, 1MB)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

So your Sammy has a dual core Pentium with 4 GB RAM? Unless it's falling apart, I'd say your can easily squeeze another year or two out of it (a fresh installation works miracles). 400 yoyos will not buy you anything spectacular, some Core i3 w 4 GB RAM and integrated graphics (but only if you buy online), not exactly a huge step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mosher 66

Torqay wrote: »
    So your Sammy has a dual core Pentium with 4 GB RAM? Unless it's falling apart, I'd say your can easily squeeze another year or two out of it (a fresh installation works miracles). 400 yoyos will not buy you anything spectacular, some Core i3 w 4 GB RAM and integrated graphics (but only if you buy online), not exactly a huge step up.

im not nesicarilly looking for anything better, just id LIKE something better, but even if it was identical to the samsung rv510 i would be happy, and i dont think i can squeeze another year or two out of a laptop which 1. the heatsink is gone to hell and might aswell not be there, 2. is missing loads of buttons, 3. has no screws left, 4. the motherboard and everything on it is BEYOND repair and might aswell be in a bin, i mean this machine doesnt turn on xD the only thing of value is the screen on it which im scrapping for cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

PB 15.6" laptop, Core i3, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD. €346 at LD

Advertisement