Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jeep Patriot, the trooper or run to the hills

Options
  • 06-03-2013 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hey, looking for a little advice on a 2009 Jeep Patriot 2.0 diesel, has anyone any experience good or bad with them?

I am aware of the silly name :pac: and as far as I know it's same the chassis as Dodge Caliber? Seems also to have a Volkswagen engine, thats a good thing, right?

Probably going to depreciate like an Alfa but reliability wise what could I expect?

I have googled extensively and seen some mixed reviews, anyone got any first hand experience they could share before I put my head in the noose?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

We had a jeep grand Cherokee 2007 3.0d 220bhp auto bought it new had it for 3 years. I know not the same as the patriot but it was very reliable and jeep as a brand are very reliable and underrated. I think my dad test drove a patriot at some stage and he liked it. Sorry I can't be off much more help but I'd say if its a nice well minded jeep go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭SpiceWeasel

Bpmull wrote: »
    We had a jeep grand Cherokee 2007 3.0d 220bhp auto bought it new had it for 3 years. I know not the same as the patriot but it was very reliable and jeep as a brand are very reliable and underrated. I think my dad test drove a patriot at some stage and he liked it. Sorry I can't be off much more help but I'd say if its a nice well minded jeep go for it.

Thanks for the info :)

Bpmull wrote: »
    We had a jeep grand Cherokee 2007 3.0d 220bhp auto .............

I like them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I had an 09 Commercial one dropped in last month, guy went in to a Kuga Commercial.

Driver loved the Patriot and was singing it's praises to me. Said it was pretty damn quick and he'd never had an issue with it in the 4 years. Had done just shy of 100,000km, some of which would have been off road use (engineer for mobile phone masts).

I only moved it from one spot in the garage to another, and thought the interior was pretty horrible - cheap plastic everywhere, but it did have all the bits you'd need - Armrest, Cruise, Climate, Bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

What's with the iron maiden references? You gonna use it for touring with your heavy metal band?

• Advertisement

R.O.R wrote: »
    I had an 09 Commercial one dropped in last month, guy went in to a Kuga Commercial.

Driver loved the Patriot and was singing it's praises to me. Said it was pretty damn quick and he'd never had an issue with it in the 4 years. Had done just shy of 100,000km, some of which would have been off road use (engineer for mobile phone masts).

I only moved it from one spot in the garage to another, and thought the interior was pretty horrible - cheap plastic everywhere, but it did have all the bits you'd need - Armrest, Cruise, Climate, Bluetooth.

Thanks, yeah the inside is not pretty at all, very much function over form :D

R.O.R wrote: »
    ......... and thought the interior was pretty horrible - cheap plastic everywhere...........
    Indeed, Jeep are like that, not too nice compared to Euro stuff imo internally.
    Bluefoam wrote: »
    What's with the iron maiden references? You gonna use it for touring with your heavy metal band?

You've lost me completely? Iron maiden references :confused:

Bluefoam wrote: »

Short answer is yes with an 'if', long answer is no with a 'but'

I do think there is a speaker in the tailgate though for BBQ's and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

RoverJames wrote: »
    I like them :)

It was easily the best jeep we had by a mile. Seriously powerful and went like made would easily pull 4 tonne weight. They are very cheap now as the tax is high. Funny enough they are not that bad on diesel considering they are auto and 4wd about 35 mpg. Our one was the limited edition one had every gadget in it. My dad really regrets selling it even now but at the time unfortunately it had to go as there was no real need for it and we couldn't justify keeping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

My Dad has owned one from new since 2008. Great car, 6 speed gearbox, air conditioning and cruise control, he loves it. As a traveling computer tech he clocked up over 300k but he never had a single issue with it until the oil pump failed at the end of last year. However, a VW mechanic friend of mine reckons that the keyway that drives the oil pump should have been replaced with a stronger one at the first service but the jeep dealers may not have been aware of this. New engine in it now and it runs like a clock. He's retiring this month and the car will be sold. I would say with that mileage someone is going to get a nice bargain!

• Advertisement
Advertisement