Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Registering an Import?

Options
  • 06-03-2013 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hello, a couple of months back I purchased a Reliant Scimitar GTE for a very reasonable sum of 170 Euros. Although the car is rough, I'm confident that it'll be roadworthy again. It's a '73 so it would be classed as a vintage and this should make it cheap to run.

The issue I have with this car though is that it came with no logbook, history, plates and I hear its originally a British car. I don't belive it's ever been imported either. How would I get this car registered? If I can, how much would it cost? If anyone could answer this or point me in the right direction (I'm just a rookie) I'd be extremely grateful.

Thankyou for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

As above, but it might be best to hold off getting the cert until you're ready to present the car to the NCT for VRT payment, otherwise the VRT might hit you with a fine.

You can do a check here;
    https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/enquiry?execution=e1s1
    you need the make and reg number.

I just realised you have no plates either, that could be a problem as the cars ID could be on something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brucky

Hi Congrats on your purchase. Try placing an email on www.scimitarweb.com the chassis number is usually stamped on the chassis, or vin plate. I assume yours is a GTE 5. The forum holds a large amount of historical info on chassis numbers. Its highly likely that they wil be able to link the chassis to the U.K reg for you. Dont go near the VRT yet. When I reg my Scimitar in October they wanted to see proof of how long it had been in Ireland. I produced the ferry tickets. Most people produce a hand written recipt from a Mr. John Smith living in england with the date of the sale:P Dont stress over it but at the very least you need to get a log book from the DVA. Did the guy you purchased it from not have any info? Even old tax disks have the reg written on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ShootingStar Productions

Thankyou so much everyone for the support, It's helped so much! I don't have any info on the car apart from that it's British because the guy who sold it too me was just trying to clear a site full of his disceased father's cars before the Enviromental Agency came back and crushed them... I'm fine with it if I cant afford to get it back on the road because I originally got it just as a fun project to learn more about car mechanics :-P Would a VRT be much considering it's a vintage? I really want to avoid spending much money on a 170 Euro car! I will certainly try to find the chassis number when I see the car at the weekend, maybe that could solve my problems. Once again, Thankyou guys for all the support! :-) P.S I know that the car has been a fair number of years in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Before you go any further shouldnt you first decide if it is possible/viable to get it road worthy.

Firstly you need to find out what condition the chassis is in if it requires welding etc. What condition is the engine in ? Can you turn it over by hand, don’t start it if it has stood for a long time until you drain the old petrol & put fresh stuff in. The bottom line with Scimitar’s is that they don’t seem to command much money when they come up for sale. A decent 5/A GTE will go for around €2.5k/€4.5k. So you have to make your mind up are you going to restore for the love because you won’t get your money back. i.e. if the paint is bad a re-spray on a fibreglass car will cost €2k because of the preparation involved. However, parts for scimitars are cheap and readily available. Ford parts on the Essex engine and triumph parts on the steering. Your VRT will cost a flat fee of €250 road tax is €54.00 so if you can get her running and stopping you could potentially have a cheap car to tool around in. No NCT is required for your car so you just have to satisfy yourself the car is safe to drive. If you do get her running keep your eye on the temperature gauge they can overheat very quickly if the cooling system and electric fan aren’t in tip top condition. Post some photos on www.scimitarweb.com in the "Introductions" section and you will get lots of help and advice. I also want to be nosey & see what condition she is in.

A car "for tooling around in" is what I've been planning; the cars not economically worth reparing as pretty much everything is wrong with it, I've got a friend's dad who knows pretty much everything about the cheap repair (he's from south africa, so he has bush mechanic skills)! We belive the engine is seized but we can unseize it. The brakes didn't have any fluid in them when I got it but as soon as I added brake fluid, even without bleeding, there was a noticable stopping force when I put the brakes on (while the car was being towed). I don't think I can ever make the paint on it look nice- someone has already repainted it silver and that's become a mess from being left outside. What I was thinking of doing is going with a 'rat look' paintjob so I don't have to worry about an expensive glossy one. I salvaged as much interior as possible but all the carpets have to go because the sunroof was broken a few years before I bought it and the weather turned the Scimitar into a fish tank :-P You mentioned that you have a Scimitar- What type? Cheers for all the help, bye!

I don't know if this picture will come up but if it does, this is the Scimitar in its current rough state :-P

I like the rat look and it will look especially good in silver. No point wasting money on an expensive paint job. You have the more desirable 5. I have a 6a (see attached). Once you get her going you will be surprised by how quickly it will shift & how good the Essex V6 sounds. Most parts can be obtained on eBay or from one of the main scimitar dealers. All scimitars leak. Despite reports of micro blistering etc I use a cheap car cover from Rathgar Motor Factors and 3 bungee cords/ratchet straps to keep mine dry. Unless you are posh and have a garage.

• Advertisement

That se6 looks like an exellent car, doesn't the se6 use the feul injected Essex v6? I don't have a garage exactly, but I do have a large haybarn that I put a floor in. What I was planning on was a matte black paint job on it because I belive, apart from an se5 pickup truck that someone's made, there has never been a Scimitar rat rod before ;-) I'd love to change that!

Advertisement