Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's finally happened!

Options
  • 06-03-2013 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

My 28 month old has climbed out of his cot this morning and came into us with his guitar to serenade us in bed:D.

Has anyone any suggestions short of chaining him to the cot?

Do we just take the side off and let him wander down the stairs in the dark ?

The bedrooms go right onto a small square landing and then the stairs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

My kids went into beds aged 2yrs
    It does seem a bit early but I'd be terrified child would fall out of cot

This is what I did,

Child in bed, put stair gate on bed room door as well as top of stairs

For first child I used to stay til he fell asleep. We in bungalow so he used tojust wander into us.
    I used to lock bathroom doors and door leading to kitchen in case he got up to mischief

For my girl she takes a while to go to sleep, so I used to leave when she awake. She did a few laps of the hall, so I locked her bedroom door for a few nights this stopped that. Before I get savaged she never cried and if she called for me I went to her. I still used monitors at this time . Now she might come into us at night and that ok too.

Both mine are in double beds just our preference

Best of luck :) as my sister says 'don't you just love development :):) '

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

You've done well! I found my little princess balanced lying along the length of the top of the cot rail at 20 months and about to fall off! The side came down that weekend and we put up a bed rail to stop her falling out of bed.

Since then we have had a little visitor to our bed at any time between 1am and 3am most nights.

That was also the prompt to put a stair-gate at the top of the stairs to match the bottom one.

So, those are my suggestions : take down the cot side, put up a bed rail and a stair gate, and expect a visitor at night! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Bed and stair gate on door!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Child proof the room and stair gate on door and top of stairs..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Stairs gate on the door! I have the fold out thing that you can move around. Also I close all other doors on the landing. If she wants me she speaks to the monitor!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

guess what i'm doing at the weekend:D

problem is he can climb over the stair gate. hes just over 3 ft tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭ronjo

We put our daughter into her own bed when she was 2, mainly because she was getting too long for the cot and my wife got pregnant again and the cot will be needed very soon.

Our house seems to be designed like yours and we have a stair gate but she never even goes near it and just trots into us any time between 7 and 8 in the morning.

I am not sure if this makes sense but would there be a chance that if you put a gate on his door he would automatically try and climb it and then think of doing the same with the stair gate? but if there was no door gate he would just go straight to your room.
    This might make no sense but just came into my head now as he obviously likes climbing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

guess what i'm doing at the weekend:D

problem is he can climb over the stair gate. hes just over 3 ft tall.

You can buy tall stair gates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

the side of the cot is off and the gate is on the bedroom door. Now to see if he stays in his bed for the first time:)

Advertisement