Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my friend convicted and fined heavily for jaywalking - to appeal or not to appeal?

Options
  • 06-03-2013 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭

A very good friend of mine was hit by a car a while ago while crossing the road at a junction. He firmly believed that the light was in his favour. However, the other party brought independent evidence stating that it was not and as a result He was convicted in district court. He had a barrister with him but he didn't seem to have made much of a difference, in fact it probably made it worse!

He was fined €550 and €200 on two accounts of breaking road traffic act. Also as a result of this, his solicitors recommends not proceeding with his personal injury claim.

I have serious concerns over all this. Firstly, my friend was certain that the light was in his favour, and the "independent" witness was 6 cars behind, but also lives on the same road, and is rather friendly with the driver of the car that hit him. Nonetheless, the judge found their version acceptable. The question is how to limit the damage now? Shall he appeal the fine, the conviction, or both? His solicitor recommend no appeal but my friend and I believe firmly that it is way disproportionate. Also, my friend is a foreign national (legally here as a high skilled worker on a green card) and he is very worried that a case like this could seriously affect any citizenship applications down the line.

Opinions are greatly appreciated. We have solicitors view on this but I want to get as many views as possible before deciding the next step.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you're not happy with what your solicitor has to say, then get a second solicitor to give you a second opinion.

Asking people on the internet who don't know any of the facts of the case to make a judgement based on one side's recollection of the events, will not do you any good.

If the second solicitor agrees with the first, then recognise that two experienced professionals have given you advice which you should heed even if you don't agree with them.

Simply not agreeing with your solicitor is not good enough reason to proceed with an appeal, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Get a new solicitor, I'm no lawyer myself but I can poke significant holes in the 'independant' witnesses theory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Thanks Seamus. I was hoping to get people's views and real life experiences on such cases. He will continue getting legal advice as well!

By the way, another question- if a case is appealed on grounds of fines only, can the fine imposed be increased? Does it ever happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

ianal but if you know the time of the accident would someone not have contacted the county/city council that owns/controls the lights and determined the light sequence at the time of the accident?

• Advertisement

great point. although it would be hard to prove exact time at this stage but worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭voter1983

What exactly is the offence for jaywalking?

sorry maybe I didn't word it properly, I don't have the papers! I think one was for disregarding the traffic light as a pedestrian (which he thinks he didn't!) and the other for entering the road where he shouldn't or something like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

voter1983 wrote: »
    What exactly is the offence for jaywalking?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html#zzsi182y1997a46

I think it is now a Class E fine which is max of €500, for first offence. With out any idea of the exact offence or why there was 2 the €550 fine may be excessive. To be honest this story just does not add up.

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    sorry maybe I didn't word it properly, I don't have the papers! I think one was for disregarding the traffic light as a pedestrian (which he thinks he didn't!) and the other for entering the road where he shouldn't or something like that!

It does not add up. Either he crossed at the correct place against a red light or he crossed where there was no crossing they are mutually incompatible. But I do accept that you don't have the summons to hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Doesn't add up, no way would someone get those fines for a first offence of jay walking. More likely the judge would laugh at the summons and apply the probation act.

coylemj wrote: »
    Doesn't add up, no way would someone get those fines for a first offence of jay walking. More likely the judge would laugh at the summons and apply the probation act.

Totally agree, in fact I have never seen a prosecution for these offences. Not saying they don't happen just saying I never saw one.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

That sounds completely disproportionate - what were the two charges?
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html#zzsi182y1997a46

I think it is now a Class E fine which is max of €500, for first offence. With out any idea of the exact offence or why there was 2 the €550 fine may be excessive. To be honest this story just does not add up.
    The date of the alleged offence will be quite important as those regulations were revised last year (October?).

Up to that point, it was difficult to convict a pedestrian as sub-section 2 says "(2) A pedestrian facing a traffic light lamp which shows a red light shall not proceed beyond that light." - of course, the light is on the far side of the road. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

I'd say obstruction of traffic was one of them. Crossing on a red probably the other.

SB2013 wrote: »
    I'd say obstruction of traffic was one of them. Crossing on a red probably the other.

Obstruction (S.98 RTA) is a leap of the imagination on your part but even if that was one of the offences, it falls under the general penalty, no way would a pedestrian be fined a few hundred euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

coylemj wrote: »
    Obstruction (S.98 RTA) is a leap of the imagination on your part but even if that was one of the offences, it falls under the general penalty, no way would a pedestrian be fined a few hundred euros.

A leap of imagination? How would walking in front of a row of moving traffic not come under that?

SB2013 wrote: »
    A leap of imagination? How would walking in front of a row of moving traffic not come under that?

Obstructing traffic means you prevent traffic from moving i.e. you block the road and traffic comes to a standstill. Getting run over by a car does not constitute obstruction.

The offence of obstruction (S.98) is designed to cover the delivery van which stops on a narrow street and blocks the traffic.

AFAIK it wasn't obstruction. I'll get the exact details off him and post it tomorrow but I think one was entering the road where he shouldn't and the other breaking the pedestrian light - or something to that effect.

We that's the whole story! No previous offense whatsoever. Only this. I think the judge got pissed off that he contested it and it got dragged on to three court sessions!

I'll get the exact details off him and post it tomorrow but I think one was entering the road where he shouldn't
    Crossing the road within 15 metres of a pedestrian crossing?

Surely these two charges should be alternatives - one is at a pedestrian crossing, the other not at a pedestrian crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A very good friend of mine was hit by a car a while ago while crossing the road at a junction. He firmly believed that the light was in his favour. However, the other party brought independent evidence stating that it was not and as a result He was convicted in district court. He had a barrister with him but he didn't seem to have made much of a difference, in fact it probably made it worse!

He was fined €550 and €200 on two accounts of breaking road traffic act. Also as a result of this, his solicitors recommends not proceeding with his personal injury claim.

I have serious concerns over all this. Firstly, my friend was certain that the light was in his favour, and the "independent" witness was 6 cars behind, but also lives on the same road, and is rather friendly with the driver of the car that hit him. Nonetheless, the judge found their version acceptable. The question is how to limit the damage now? Shall he appeal the fine, the conviction, or both? His solicitor recommend no appeal but my friend and I believe firmly that it is way disproportionate. Also, my friend is a foreign national (legally here as a high skilled worker on a green card) and he is very worried that a case like this could seriously affect any citizenship applications down the line.

Opinions are greatly appreciated. We have solicitors view on this but I want to get as many views as possible before deciding the next step.

I've been more than 6 cars back and still been able to see the traffic lights. Did your friend look for CCTV cameras that could see the junction?

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    I've been more than 6 cars back and still been able to see the traffic lights.

Sure, but you couldn't see the road directly in front of the front car, could you?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Victor wrote: »
    Sure, but you couldn't see the road directly in front of the front car, could you?

All the witness said was that the other person had a green light. That can be seen from 6 cars back, what was on the road doesn't matter as the OP never mentioned that the witness said "It was safe to proceed".

Advertisement