Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday Pay

Options
  • 06-03-2013 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Hi ,
    I have a friend living in Thailand doing TEFL He said he might be able to get me employment there . I was wondering if I could go away for a month or 3 weeks and on my arrival back receive the two weeks holiday pay ?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

You can, you need to inform the dept in advance it appears you can do this online.

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/HolidayApplication.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

If you are working over there it would not be deemed holidays. If not then you can apply for 2 weeks holidays assuming you haven't taken any other holidays this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Hi ,
    I have a friend living in Thailand doing TEFL He said he might be able to get me employment there . I was wondering if I could go away for a month or 3 weeks and on my arrival back receive the two weeks holiday pay ?

If you are claiming unemployment benefit, you can't work at the same time...regardless of what country the work is in. And Thailand is a looooong way to go for 3 weeks work!
    (3 weeks teaching wages) - (Flight costs) - loss of benefits = not worth your time (if money is the issue).

If money is not a real concern, then tell SW that you have been given a temporary assignment for a month. They might allow you to sign off temporarily and that way you wouldn't have to start all over again when you return. I'm not sure if they allow this, but it's worth asking about anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

I wouldn't be working . I would be gone for 3 or 4 weeks to suss out the place and see if I could get a job . I would then come home and move back over . I 'm wondering if I take my 2 week holiday and then be gone another week or 2 would the 2 week holiday pay be waiting for me at the P.O .

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

It would most likely not be in the PO. If you dates are not definite you might have to call back into the to confirm you have returned and the payment would be in the the PO 3 days later. Payments are suspended while you are on holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

First of all, in order to qualify for jobseekers, you need to be able to take up employment. If the welfare officer were to find out that you were unavailable for more than the allowed 2 weeks holiday then they may suspend or cancel your payment and you would have to reapply. This is why you need to inform them in advance of travel and get their authorisation for the holidays.

Secondly, you are only allowed 2 weeks holiday, so you would have no entitlement to payment for the 3rd week, and by being away for 3 weeks you will not be available to collect your benefit within the allowed time limit - you need to be back by week 3 to collect your payment for the previous 2 weeks holiday). If you are not, again your payment may be suspended or cancelled. So gain, you need to advise them in advance to make sure this doesn't happen.
    welfare.ie wrote:
    You may receive Jobseeker's Benefit or Jobseeker's Allowance for two weeks holidays (i.e. 12 days excluding Sundays) in any calendar year. These holidays may be taken abroad.

If you intend going on holidays abroad, you should inform the Local Office two weeks in advance of your departure and complete form UP 30. All holiday payments will be made retrospectively when you return. If you go on holiday for longer than two weeks, you may be paid in respect of the first two weeks, but will not receive payment for any period abroad in excess of this.

Information is available here:
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/jajbfaq.aspx#q17

I would recommend contacting your local SW office and filling in a UP30 form. Explain that the extended holiday is needed exactly for the reason you state - that you are hoping to get a job there and are going there in advance to try and make arrangements for that. If they think you are going to try to secure work, they are more likely to allow you to take extra (unpaid) holidays. If they think you are just going on a jolly-holiday they might not be too keen to allow it. Maybe a letter from your mate confirming that he is optimistic that he will be able to help you secure teaching work or something might help. Also, if you are on jobseekers allowance (rather than benefit) you might want to get someone else to pay for the flights and expenses or something, as if they think you can afford flights to Thailand you might find yourself getting hit with a means reassessment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

If you cannot give a definite date of your return when apply for holidays UP30 your claim will be payment suspended until you return and show the exact date that you have returned e.g. boarding pass. Payment suspended will then be lifted and you will get your 2 weeks holiday payment but if you stayed away for anything longer than the 2 weeks you wont be paid for that.

Advertisement