Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fees if already have a Degree? Fees loan possible?

Options
  • 06-03-2013 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

I'm looking into further education/training and the course I want to do is a four year Degree. I already have a Degree and am currently unemployed. I think I already know the answer but just wanted to check if it's a once chance saloon??

Meaning I wouldn't be entitled to free fees again? If this is the case is anyone aware if there is somewhere (maybe do some of the Universities) you can get a loan to pay the fees and repay when working (besides a Bank!)?

Really want to get into the area I'm interested in and more importantly gain job prospects- a career, but would not be able to afford the €7200 X 4 years :eek:

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I too would be interested in this. I completed a degree last year that I had to fund entirely by myself, through savings & working, and I still don't know how I got through it tbh!

The next level up for me, as far as the research I have done to date, means I've to fund myself also which I just cannot do!

Thanks for starting this thread bedtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭__oc__

it all depends if you have a level 7 or level 8 degree...(honours or no honours)
    not completely sure but if your going from level 7 to level 8 then you can get some assistance....

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9377/course-fees/index.html

i was right have a read of this from student finance website :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bedtime

Thanks for that. Mines a level 8 so no joy there :( damn.

I'm just after looking into doing the course in the UK/Belfast but with kids that could be difficult. It seems (I stand to be corrected) that the NHS (the course I'm looking into is in healthcare) would fund the course fees. Might be an option further down the road.

Back to the drawing board for now :confused:

bedtime wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Mines a level 8 so no joy there :( damn.

I'm just after looking into doing the course in the UK/Belfast but with kids that could be difficult. It seems (I stand to be corrected) that the NHS (the course I'm looking into is in healthcare) would fund the course fees. Might be an option further down the road.

Back to the drawing board for now :confused:

If its nursing (any discipline) then the nhs automatically pay your tuition and provide a bushary of 6000 pounds.
    Reason I know this is because I did a year of general nursing in coleraine.

Queens is the closest uni to the south that offers nursing and they are tricky to get into...there is a very hard interview but if you get in its really worth it.

There is alot of support for people with children and there are some extra grants you can get because you are coming from the south to study in the north...

• Advertisement

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I too would be interested in this. I completed a degree last year that I had to fund entirely by myself, through savings & working, and I still don't know how I got through it tbh!

The next level up for me, as far as the research I have done to date, means I've to fund myself also which I just cannot do!

Thanks for starting this thread bedtime.

Did you ever receive free fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bedtime

Thanks, I will look further into it.

Advertisement