Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-ciggs Dublin Airport

Options
  • 06-03-2013 4:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Sorry if this has been answered, the link I found was a bit dated.

I am flying to Canada this Friday, Dublin to Amsterdam on Ryanair, then KLM to Canada. I know KLM has banned the e-ciggs, so how do you cope with an 8 hour flight :eek: I guess I will have to white knuckle it, lol.

And is it true that Ryan Air allows us to vape? Will I be able to bring my own e-cigg through in carry on, or do I have to buy RyanAir's own brand? I am going to pack my liquids and everything except one cartridge and my slim e-cigg in checked luggage, well, that is my plan anyways--but I don't want them to take my e-cigg off me in security!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I didn't take the chance. I put my gear with the luggage and brought nothing on my person at all. Was surprised actually. I didn't even have a craving really and I didn't vape for 16 hours. Certainly nothing like craving for a cig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

I've never had any issue taking an ecig and 30ml bottles of juice through security. I'm talking ego twist and kanger type stuff, not provari etc...
    Most airlines including Ryanair have banned ecigs at this stage. I think Ryanair sell cotton bud type things soaked in nic juice...never tried em though...

as for the 8 hour flight, you might have to get inventive on that one ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I've been through the airport loads of times with ecigs, and no problem, just put the battery end of the device in the tray with your phone, and put any bottles of liquid and tanks(carto tanks, kangers and the likes) in to the clear plastic bag with your cosmetics, and nothing is said.

That's for a couple of places in Europe, Dubai(UAE).

Heading to the states in April, so i'd imagine it might be a bit tougher getting it in that way, but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

eeloe wrote: »
    Heading to the states in April, so i'd imagine it might be a bit tougher getting it in that way, but we'll see.

Stick all your good gear in checked luggage. Buy a couple of disposables for the airport\flight. If they take em, they take em...no biggy. Think there's a couple of decent disposable ecigs out there, definitely get you through a few hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

I don't think you're allowed to put lithium batteries in your checked in luggage. Remember reading it here before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I've brought my ecigs aboard about 7 flights in the last year, no problems with security, just the "that's an ecig?" look when explained.
    I wouldn't vape openly on a flight because most people are bell-ends either way - why would you draw them on you?
    Just go to the bathroom every two hours, hold the vapour in so there's little to no vapour exhaled and don't breath up into the smoke alarm.
    Flying with ecigs is much easier than going to a festival with ecigs, don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Just got back from Cuba last week. Flew with Air France who said they don't allow electronic cigs. I brought on my two Ovale devices full of juice in my carry-on luggage and just puffed away discreetly when I felt like it. There's not much vapour from them and it was only noticeable when the lights were off and the reading light was on as you could see the vapour haze. I vaped in the jax when the lights went off after my OH pointed it out. I did get asked about the device at one of the security checks but once I showed them they were fine about it. The Ovale is small enough for it not to be that noticeable but anyway I think that as long as you're not making a big deal about it and keep it out of sight you should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 awatch

I too have been on a number of flights recently and always bring my little Ovale Elips C with me. If you then use the double breath stealth vape technique http://youtu.be/JZO8opyg14k even the person sitting next to you is none the wiser bar a feint fruity aroma :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Have ryanair really banned ecigs? Was on a flight about 6 months ago and I was havin a sneaky vape, covering my face with a magazine and holding in the vape as long as I could, nobody batted an eyelid.
    On the return flight there was a gang of women a few seats up vaping those cig-alike things, so I started vaping away and nobody said a word!
    If anyone complained I would just blame the gf :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

grindle wrote: »
    Just go to the bathroom every two hours, hold the vapour in so there's little to no vapour exhaled and don't breath up into the smoke alarm.
    Flying with ecigs is much easier than going to a festival with ecigs, don't worry.

Will vapour set off the alarm?? I didn't think it would as it's not smoke :confused:

• Advertisement

Depends on the type of alarm. An optical alarm doesn't care if it's smoke, vapour or an impromptu dust-storm, if something breaks the beam of light the alarm is going off.
    Smoke alarms on airplanes have been set off by vapour in the past on multiple occasions, so don't be stupid, just stealth-vape it.
    You'd have to be a total brat to chance it thinking "hur hur hur, take this, smoke alarm". Off the plane with no 'chute, that's what I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Will vapour set off the alarm?? I didn't think it would as it's not smoke :confused:

'Smoke detectors' go off when particles gets into them and disrupts the flow of ions (because the ions cling to particles) the detector senses this disruption and sets the alarm off. Particles are anything that isn't air, I'm pretty sure (this is just a theory) if you got a bunch of dust and blew it into your smoke detector it would go off, if you blew a big plume of vapour straight into your smoke detector in the house, it would go off. (Actually I'm going to try this tomorrow during the day :)

So it's not sensing smoke persay it's the particles. Now there are some particles in the air already (dust and what not) so the alarms have some threshold of sensitivity to them. Some are more sensitive than others. There's also two different types of sensors, ionisation and photoelectric. Both have their weakness and strengths in detecting particles. Not sure what kind (or maybe their dual detectors) that are installed in aircraft toilets.

Sidenote: you really should install 'dual sensor' smoke detectors in your home if you value your life enough to pay a little bit extra for them over the cheap crappy single sensor detectors most places sell.

So if you don't create too much concentration of particles (by stealth vaping) you should be okay. However there's always that chance you could tip the scale and the alarm goes off.

That's my understanding of it anyway, I could be wrong. I'll know tomorrow when I try it out :) I have an ionisation and a photo electric and a couple of dual sensor alarms sooo I'll be the expert of which alarms go off from vaping and which don't tomorrow.

- There ya are Grindle bet me too it. Anyways I'm still curious to try it out, see how sensitive they are. Will post the results.

illicit007 wrote: »
    Anyways I'm still curious to try it out, see how sensitive they are. Will post the results.

Do please - I just stood on a chair and blew vapour into my flat's smoke alarm (no idea what type) and nothing happened - this thing goes off with a fùcking whisper of a mention of smoke, so some are obviously not susceptible to vapour's charms.

I will do it tomorrow dude. No problemo. While we're on the topic of smoke alarms and stuff. Every home should have a fire extinguisher (preferably powder if you're only getting one) and also fire blanket for the kitchen (to put out oil fires on the stove which is one of the biggest ways houses go up in flames.) Yes I'm paranoid about house fires :) Ionisation detectors will go off from steam even so they don't advice you install them in the bathroom or kitchen. Photo electric ones are less sensitive to small particles and tend have less nuisance alarms. The best alarm for the kitchen is a heat sensor type alarm.

Makes sense... Might be a heat sensing thingummy.
    STOP GOING OFF WHEN
    I'M COOKING RASHERS,
    HEAT
    SENSOR
    THING.

keep blowing, it will go off, trust me! unless its a battery one with no batteries:D or a heat detector which only sences heat! saw a guy on utube with big plumes of vapor in a planes toilet and no alarm went off, wouldnt chance it myself!
    brother inlaw was on a cruise(strictly no smoking in the cabins) and he set off the alarm by vaping!!!! caused loads of comotion:D:D:Dnearly got f#cked off the ship!

Mr. Chrome wrote: »
    brother inlaw was on a cruise(strictly no smoking in the cabins) and he set off the alarm by vaping!!!! caused loads of comotion:D:D:Dnearly got f#cked off the ship!

Silly eejit, would he not hide the vaping equipment and just be all like "I dunno? She farted... Her fault?"

haha, funny thing was he was vaping vanilla custard and a guy came to their room fuming saying he knew they were smoking and he could smell it!!!!!!!:eek: i reckon he could still see the vapour lingering in the air

Do please - I just stood on a chair and blew vapour into my flat's smoke alarm (no idea what type) and nothing happened - this thing goes off with a fùcking whisper of a mention of smoke, so some are obviously not susceptible to vapour's charms.

I blew vapour into my smoke alarms. The ionisation smoke detectors, the photoelectric detector and the dual sensor detector all went off when I blew vapour directly into them.

That being said they've never gone off before from me vaping (until I was standing directly under blowing a big plume right at the detector.)

So being in a small confined space with a detector and vaping is probably a very bad idea. It's probably safer to do it at your seat in the airplane than in the toilet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

STOP GOING OFF WHEN
    I'M COOKING RASHERS,
    HEAT
    SENSOR
    THING.

some of them use a laser or some **** and if the beam gets broken the alarm goes off, so smoke from a lovely lovely rasher or vapour from some ezsmoke 1st choice (try that btw) would set that off too

• Advertisement

No if it's a heat detector alarm it shouldn't go off unless there's a rapid rise in temperate. (That's how they operate by sensing a rapid rise in temperature, a certain amount of degrees raise per minute.)

It wouldn't go off from cooking. Unless the heat detector alarm was installed right above your oven.

some of them use a laser or some **** and if the beam gets broken the alarm goes off, so smoke from a lovely lovely rasher or vapour from some ezsmoke 1st choice (try that btw) would set that off too

It's not an optical one though, I was vaping directly into it just to see.

I want to try it, but I've got about 200mls of Virginian leaf juice at the moment... Can't justify it, and I'm pretty good at rationalising things.
    "Can't eat those marshmallows, dinner in half an hour... Although... They would make a nice mattress for my steak. NOMNOMNOM"

Photoelectric detectors work off of optics yea. When particles get in between the beam and scatter it enough it goes off. They work best at detecting slow smoldering fires.

Ionisation alarms actually have a small bit of radioactive material inside them which ionise the air floating between two sensors and the same gives. They work better at detecting fast burning fires.

So hence why you should have a dual sensor alarm, preferably a few of them, in your home. Cause otherwise you're only giving yourself maximum protection against one kind of fire.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kidde-Dual-Sensor-Smoke-Alarm/dp/B0039ZAQXO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362664777&sr=8-1

Advertisement