Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fire safety random alert

Options
  • 06-03-2013 4:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭

Are you doing fire safety drills?

If you had to evacuate tonight:
    How prepared are you/your family?
    have you practised your plan rather than just discussed it?
    If you had to run out is there suitable footwear within easy reach?
    Fire alarms, enough fitted, tested, batteries, power etc?
    Fire extinguishers, fire blankets, SMOKE HOODS?
    Escape routes from upstairs in case of being trapped? Ropes, ladders etc?
    Do the windows all open?
    once you are all out and safe - do you have your insurance details somewhere other than in the house? what about other essentials?

if you are in a hotel have you checked your fire escape route and walked it to make sure the fire door at the bottom of the stairs is not chained?

What have I forgotten?
    What have you forgotten?

Time is of the essence, this is a video of a fire local to me, amazing how fast it moves.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frpBMAMJbPY

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Ive done a couple of fire drills with the whole family which worked out great but these happened in the day time while everyone could see what they were doing and where they were going. It took us about 5 minutes
    I did one on my own blindfolded and after alot of bad langue from stubbing my toes and standing on lego (I hate lego) it took me nearly 10 minutes that was without bringing kids dogs shoes or any bag with me Try it yourself you will be amazed how long it will take you

As for fire extinguishers Ive a large one in the kitchen a large one up stairs and a small one on the wall at the bottom of the stairs 2 fire blankets in the kitchen Ive also got smoke masks for everyone ill post a link or picture tomorrow as i cant remember the name off hand
    3 fire alarms 1 power 2 battery 2 co2 alarms both battery

I plan on putting an escape ladder upstairs soon too

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

That's so weird, I was thinking about this last night.

I really want one of these, (even though I sleep downstairs...) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kidde-468093-Two-Storey-Escape-Ladder/dp/B00005OU7B/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2GWTS5SG1C3SU&coliid=I1RMN3YII78WWM

I am not very prepared at all. Two smoke alarms and a CO2 detector and...that's it really. I'll give the blindfolded fire drill a go. And I'll copy the insurance details and keep them somewhere else, (never even thought of that!)

Does anyone have any budget friendly fire safety options?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Insurance details probably not the most important as you can ring them with your address, but doing a fire drill blindfolded is a great idea.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

We did a fire drill blindfolded (actually just with eyes closed) and crawling (as you would if the house were filled with smoke). The crawling part is worth doing too IMO.

Advertisement