Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Magnet to Sky

Options
  • 05-03-2013 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi

I have magnet telephone /broadband / and TV and I want to move to the new Sky Ireland telephone (triple play) service. Can I do this if i am a magnet customer, or do magnet lock competitors out of their network?

Thanks
    Patrick
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

OP from what I can tell you need to have the premissions to put up a satellite dish (which is not possible in most apartment blocks) and you also need to have what Sky term an "Eircom-compatabile phone line" which I guess is their speak for having an actual Eircom landline (even if service is not actually provided by Eircom). If your building is only on the Magnet network you might not be able to do this.

I'm moving this thread to satellite since posters there might have more experience of this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭zg3409

If you only intend having one TV and one Sky box then having a phone line is not essential, but having a dish on the South East side of the building is.

If dishes are banned, have a look to see if anyone has put one up on the south east side anyway. Also even if no-one has done so, if your apartment balcony faces south east then there are some "hidden" satellite dishes you can use, which are designed to not be seen. However they need to be able to see south east, so if your apartment faces north west no luck.

In some cases apartment blocks have one shared dish on the roof, but not generally where magnet is available.

Advertisement