Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is the best boat for the whitewater race series - the best creek kayak

Options
  • 05-03-2013 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I want to buy a brand new creek kayak for next years whitewater race series. I am new to whitewater (not wildwater) racing, but am experienced at kayaking. I have a dagger gtx river runner, and am upgrading to a good creek kayak. Advice PLEASE!!!!!!!! :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭multisport

Try a wavehopper

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SUPing

ZET Raptor seems to be one of the fastest. They are just launching a new longer boat too which is called the director.
    Bliss stick Tuna is very fast paddled one in nz last year.
    Jackson karma seems very quick too.
    Id say go to i-canoe and demo some.
    New mamba is fast too.

Paddy
    Www.pureadventure.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

New Mamba isn't too fast in a straight line but its very fast for turning in and out of eddies. I've heard very good things about the Raptor as well. Try get demo's of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vintage01

The fastest creeker on the market at the moment is a liquid logic remix. Watch any of the top boater cross races like the Green race in the US and its up there all the time. I have one myself but have only got to race it once this year at the crana.(2nd in final) a habitat won i think. For some reason they would not allow any boat over 2.6 meters into Galway fest this year which is ****ty and goes against the logic of going fast. Im not sure about other races on the league.
    However it doesnt matter what boat you are in unless you are fit and able for the grade of water. Like any race I would suggest training for them if you want to be getting in the top 5.

vintage01 wrote: »
    The fastest creeker on the market at the moment is a liquid logic remix. Watch any of the top boater cross races like the Green race in the US and its up there all the time. I have one myself but have only got to race it once this year at the crana.(2nd in final) a habitat won i think. For some reason they would not allow any boat over 2.6 meters into Galway fest this year which is ****ty and goes against the logic of going fast. Im not sure about other races on the league.
    However it doesnt matter what boat you are in unless you are fit and able for the grade of water. Like any race I would suggest training for them if you want to be getting in the top 5.

I think that length restriction is going to be on the Glens race as well. Nothing above 2.7 metres and no boats like GTX's and Remix's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think that length restriction will be on all whitewater race league events next year to bring in a bit of consistency. Anyway if I'm racing on the glens id rather paddle my own boat that I'm used to instead of borrowing a different boat for the day just because its supposed to be faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 greatideas

cheers guys,

so i'm looking at a habitat, a mamba 8.1, or a remix. Any other suggestions? I'm pretty fit so i'm ready to go. I'm doing the liffey again this year. Should i get a drysuit for the series? I have a wetsuit and a dry cag, will that do. What is the worst grade water in the series.

Forgot to ask, would the jackson zen75 be a good job? Or the burn?

greatideas wrote: »
    cheers guys,

so i'm looking at a habitat, a mamba 8.1, or a remix. Any other suggestions? I'm pretty fit so i'm ready to go. I'm doing the liffey again this year. Should i get a drysuit for the series? I have a wetsuit and a dry cag, will that do. What is the worst grade water in the series.

I may be wrong here but why are you buying a boat just for 4-5 events per year? Why not get one that you'll realy enjoy paddling every weekend instead of spending all of that money in order to race a few times a year. That's my opinion but whatever suits you.

And YES get a drysuit!!! Best bit of kit you'll ever buy if you're paddling in Ireland. You'll never ever get cold and when you're finished paddling for the day simply unzip it, throw on your shoes and you can go home. They're brilliant.

I'd say the Clare Glens(grade 3-4) or Flesk(grade 4-5) would probably be the most difficult.

I don't know anyone who has paddled a Zen but I know a lot of people who have Burns. Most people like them but they are very prone to breaking. The plastic isn't very strong and if you hit the nose hard there's a very high chance it'll break. I know 6-7 people with Burns and 4 of them have had to be repaired within a year and a half of buying them.

In my opinion the Glens is grade 3, theres no grade 4 on it. Big Eas is grade 4 in high levels, but the race won't be run if its at those levels. The only grade 5 on the flesk is poll gorm and that's not part of the course. I guess the 2 gorges could maybe be considered grade 5 in high levels but once again the race won't go ahead if its at those levels. The grading system on irishwhitewater is a bit off imo.

Both of those race courses are fine as long as you know both rivers and have paddled them a few times.

• Advertisement

Chavways wrote: »

I may be wrong here but why are you buying a boat just for 4-5 events per year? Why not get one that you'll realy enjoy paddling every weekend instead of spending all of that money in order to race a few times a year. That's my opinion but whatever suits you.

And YES get a drysuit!!! Best bit of kit you'll ever buy if you're paddling in Ireland. You'll never ever get cold and when you're finished paddling for the day simply unzip it, throw on your shoes and you can go home. They're brilliant.

I'd say the Clare Glens(grade 3-4) or Flesk(grade 4-5) would probably be the most difficult.

I don't know anyone who has paddled a Zen but I know a lot of people who have Burns. Most people like them but they are very prone to breaking. The plastic isn't very strong and if you hit the nose hard there's a very high chance it'll break. I know 6-7 people with Burns and 4 of them have had to be repaired within a year and a half of buying them.

Ok i've a kemakraft gola which i use once a month, i've a dagger gtx aswell which i'm going to sell - on adverts for anyone interested. I want to buy the best boat for use in the whitewater series and also have it for club coaching and a bit of summer sea surfing. It appears from my research that the mamba 8.1 is the way to go. What do you reckon?

greatideas wrote: »
    Ok i've a kemakraft gola which i use once a month, i've a dagger gtx aswell which i'm going to sell - on adverts for anyone interested. I want to buy the best boat for use in the whitewater series and also have it for club coaching and a bit of summer sea surfing. It appears from my research that the mamba 8.1 is the way to go. What do you reckon?

Its certainly a great boat.Ive had mine for 4 months now and love it. I haven't realy had it on anything above grade 3 yet though so I'm not too sure how it will behave in big water. I'd definitely recommend one though. They are very comfortable and there's a lot of adjustment available.

If you are buying one, wait another month or 6 weeks. There's new Contour Ergo outfitting that's being used in the new model and its due here in April I think. With that there's endless customisation.

Cheers, that looks fab. Does it fit in the whitewater series and allowing for the new restrictions mentioned here, whats the fasted boat available?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vintage01

Are you going to buy new? If you are why now go to Icanoe or gods and demo a few boats. What i like about a boat may not be the same for you. You need to decide if you like/want a round hull(creek) or flat hulled(river runner). The only way you will do this is paddling as many boats as possible. If you want a boat that does it all go for a river runner. If your going surfing bring a surf or play boat most river boats are ****e in surf. Don't forget it's not the boat it's the paddler :) but the right boat helps.

I think the liquidlogic remix is a very fast boat. A friend of mine paddles one and I can never keep up with him when he's in it. Never paddled a Mamba but I've heard nothing but praise for them. Dagger plastic is really tough as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

Don't think the remix is allowed in the whitewater league - It's too long.

I paddle the 8.1 Mamba and really like it. One of the faster boats out there - but I suspect the Zet Rapter is faster and probably the new Jackson Karma too.

My friend has raced a remix 69 in a few of the races this year so I guess its within the restrictions, but I think there is a larger one (remix 79?) that might be too long.

The whitewater league events are a great chance to try out different boats on moving water. I-canoe and dagger were at a couple of events this year with loads of different new boats that people could try out. Hopefully it'll be the same next year.

Looked on the whitewater forum for the specs and rules for entry, but not able to find them. After the liquid logic remix that's not allowed whats the next best. I'm going to buy new. almost sold on the mamba 8.1 now.

Chavways wrote: »
    I think that length restriction is going to be on the Glens race as well. Nothing above 2.7 metres and no boats like GTX's and Remix's.

Where are the rules where this is set out? I want to comply not complain!

The rules are the same as sickline:
    Only mass-produced creeker/ white water kayaks of serial production with a length of 275cm (9 feet), that meet the latest safety standards are allowed. The race organizers reserve the right to refuse admission to certain kayaks i.e. Eskimo Kendo, Dagger GTX, GT etc.

http://www.adidas-sickline.com/en/race-info/regulations/

I would not base your decision on solely whats the fastest boat so you have a good chance in the race series. Theres only 5 races every year and I assume you'll be doing a lot of paddling besides the races so you should focus on a boat that you like rather than one thats going to win you races.

• Advertisement

Many thanks for all the helpful advice guys. Where or what is wacko on jacko?!

Its a race on the Anamoe river in Wicklow. its one of the races in the Whitewater Race League. Heres a video: http://vimeo.com/61841656

Its an easy course which is open to everyone I think.

Advertisement