Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firebird condensing oil boiler?

Options
  • 05-03-2013 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi there,
    My house is approx 15 years old, and the existing boiler is badly leaking, and rusted, and is on the way out. We have opted to replace it, and I am looking at the Firebird C29 slimline boiler. I am a little concerned however as i have heard that this brand has been prone to freezing lately. I was under the impression that they contained an anti freeze safety element, and that the small green units they come in were well insulated.
    Could you please advise on the quality of this boiler versus other brands? Also, how much would the average cost be to install this new boiler? I know there needs to be a new line run to the oil tank to facilitate the anti air lock mechanism, and the tank is approximately 20 feet from the boiler which is outside, and attached to the back of our house.
    I would be very grateful for any advice.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Katy Daly wrote: »
    Hi there,
    My house is approx 15 years old, and the existing boiler is badly leaking, and rusted, and is on the way out. We have opted to replace it, and I am looking at the Firebird C29 slimline boiler. I am a little concerned however as i have heard that this brand has been prone to freezing lately. I was under the impression that they contained an anti freeze safety element, and that the small green units they come in were well insulated.
    Could you please advise on the quality of this boiler versus other brands? Also, how much would the average cost be to install this new boiler? I know there needs to be a new line run to the oil tank to facilitate the anti air lock mechanism, and the tank is approximately 20 feet from the boiler which is outside, and attached to the back of our house.

Thanks!
    You don't need another run from the oil tank. Just fit a tiger loop. Your system has to be power flushed before the new boiler is fitted. That'll cost approx 400-500. Then the price of the boiler itself. Plus labour and new fittings. And that's the basic job. Upgrading your heating controls will jack the price up if you want to go down that path
    I'd recommend the grant vortex boiler

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

The firebird is a great boiler but the grant vortex is better and much more preferred by most plumbers.the cost depends on wheater you need time and cotrols.zoneing your house.i have seen prices for a change over of an oil boiler supply and fit a grant for 2100 but thats only half doing the job.then theres the other price of around 3000 to 3500 and that looks like there robing you but there not there just doing what should be done when fitting a new boiler.they do lots more work for that money and buy a lot more.
    A good plumber will
    Correctly size the boiler
    Power flush pipes and rads
    Fit a new circulating pump
    Put chemicals in to heating system before and after its fitted
    Provide the right fire protection
    Put condensation line in correctly
    Will inspected oil tank and how its supported.
    The guy for 2100 is robbing you.
    I hope this helps and maybe one of the guys on here are close to your location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Katy Daly wrote: »
    Hi there,

Thanks!

Firstly go with a Grant Vortex boiler far superior than any other oil boiler.
    Don't know what you mean by freezing as in outdoor boilers there are frost stats to stop the boiler freezing.
    Depending on your setup the boiler supplied and fitted would be in the region of €2500-€3500
    The anti airlock mech you are thinking of is called a tigerloop and it doesn't need a new oil line from the tank once the oil line is in good condition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

No issues with freezing as long as it is correctly wired. You only have 3 core cable going out to your existing boiler but you will require 4 core to accommodate the permanent live for the frost stat. This will also need to be protected & isolated with a switched fuse spur as winter servicing can be a bit hair raising if it cannot be isolated safely.
    If the system is being fully zoned, an automatic bypass valve is a must, especially with a frost stat. I usually wire the frost stat through a pipe stat located on the return pipe within the boiler casing & set this to 30C. This will allow the boiler to fire but will cut out when the return reaches 30C and therefore not knock it out on the high limit if the system is zoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Katy Daly

Thanks for all your help. It is much appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement